Best D&D adventures/modules in a desert?

Urriak

Explorer
Hi, I was just wondering what the best D&D adventures/modules are that are set in a desert, or at least in a city/oasis near a desert.

Looking for things other than Desert of Desolation, or in Dark Sun. I'm wondering what adventures could be added as supplementary material for DoD, much like the supplementary adventures in Ghosts of Saltmarsh 5e (the ones added that weren't originally the Saltmarsh modules).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Hi, I was just wondering what the best D&D adventures/modules are that are set in a desert, or at least in a city/oasis near a desert.

Looking for things other than Desert of Desolation, or in Dark Sun. I'm wondering what adventures could be added as supplementary material for DoD, much like the supplementary adventures in Ghosts of Saltmarsh 5e (the ones added that weren't originally the Saltmarsh modules).

X4, X5 and X10, collectievely the "Desert Nomad" series, off the top of my head. Anything Al'Quadim. Check out the following site:

https://www.adventurelookup.com/adventures/

Urriak

Explorer
These are pretty great suggestions!

It looks like one could pretty easily put together a desert campaign if they string these together.

Maybe start with the Lost City (B4), then the Desert of Desolation modules, then cap it off with the Desert Nomad series. I'd set it in Mystara as it looks the B4 and Desert Nomads are there, while DoD is setting agnostic.

I'd have to redesign X10 a lot though, it looks more heavy on the "mass combat" system.

gyor

Legend
I'd prefer that they fill out DoD with something new. However Old Empires book had some small adventures. Alternately Imaskari were masters of portals, and extra demisional spaces, so it doesn't actually have to be in a desert. Still let me think on this.

gyor

Legend
These are pretty great suggestions!

It looks like one could pretty easily put together a desert campaign if they string these together.

Maybe start with the Lost City (B4), then the Desert of Desolation modules, then cap it off with the Desert Nomad series. I'd set it in Mystara as it looks the B4 and Desert Nomads are there, while DoD is setting agnostic.

I'd have to redesign X10 a lot though, it looks more heavy on the "mass combat" system.

DoD is not setting agnostic, the modules that inspired it are, but DoD is based in the forgotten realms, DoD is Forgotten Realms canon, and in fact DoD largely caused the reshaping of the Eastern Part of the Realms. Old Empires Source book was written because of DoD and between the two books there were massive implications for the Eastern half of Faerun. Mulhorand, Unther, ect... Were massively altered because of DoD from Ed Greenwood's vague idea of these places and fleshed out. There are references to Mulhorand, Imaskar, Durpar, and more. It was the first adventure in FR and I think it was the second FR book published after a novel. It has huge setting importance to FR.

I agree with starting with Lost City to fill in lower levels, then DoD, but then either make new adventures, the Book with no End (fits the history of the region) or connect it to Al Qadim adventures which are on the same world, and could connect easily using an old Imaskari Portal to Zakhara, but then you'd have to add the Zakharan Pantheon.

ccs

41st lv DM
DoD is not setting agnostic, the modules that inspired it are, but DoD is based in the forgotten realms, DoD is Forgotten Realms canon, and in fact DoD largely caused the reshaping of the Eastern Part of the Realms. Old Empires Source book was written because of DoD and between the two books there were massive implications for the Eastern half of Faerun. Mulhorand, Unther, ect... Were massively altered because of DoD from Ed Greenwood's vague idea of these places and fleshed out. There are references to Mulhorand, Imaskar, Durpar, and more. It was the first adventure in FR and I think it was the second FR book published after a novel. It has huge setting importance to FR.

Whoa, calm down there FR fanboy.

The original modules in the series I3, I4, & I5 very clearly tell you right on the covers that they are the Desert of Desolation series.
And I quote:
"The 1st module in the Desert Of Desolation series."
"The second module in the Desert Of Desolation series."
"The last module in the Desert Of Desolation series."
If you'd like pictures, Google it.
So one can very well talk about the DoD as being setting agnostic & be correct. DoD is the name of the module series, Pharaoh/Oasis of the white Palm/Lost Tomb of Martek are actually the chapter names/subtitles.
DoD existed before your precious FR.

BTW, you want to know what other wildly popular module is setting agnostic?
wait for it...
Ravenloft. Y
ep, good old I6. Also written by Hickman.
Though I suppose the case could be made that it actually exists in whatever world the original I3-I5 does as on p.28 of I5, in Marteks treasury, on the Nonmagical scrolls table result #2 is: a poster: Visit beautiful Barovia :)
Me? I always read that (even as a teen) as a bit of cheeky marketing/humor by Hickman, not actual world building.

House on Griffin Hill is setting agonstic too, it also predates the Ravenloft setting. There is a desert themed Ravenloft adventure too. Memory is a bit dicky though, was it Stone Prophet? Or was that the CRPG version?

Personally, I would forget about playing the whole of Dessert of Desolution and just play Pharaoh (the first and only good bit), dropped into your own desert setting and fleshed out with your own stuff and stuff from other sources.

Edit: I've tracked down the Ravenloft adventure I was thinking of: RA3 Touch of Death: https://www.adventurelookup.com/adventures/ra1-touch-of-death. Stone Prophet was a computer game based on the same story.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases