Best D&D adventures/modules in a desert?

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Don't forget about Pathfinder. You should look into the first two books of the Mummy's Mask Adventure Path. The plots and premise could be easily adapted and fits the theme of the overall campaign.

Also worth considering, I think the Golarion version of ancient Egyt (Osirion) is far more interesting and detailed than the Forgotten Realms version. The series was not originally intended for any specific world, so it wouldn't be difficult adapting the key elements of each module into whatever setting used.

gyor

Legend
Whoa, calm down there FR fanboy.

The original modules in the series I3, I4, & I5 very clearly tell you right on the covers that they are the Desert of Desolation series.
And I quote:
"The 1st module in the Desert Of Desolation series."
"The second module in the Desert Of Desolation series."
"The last module in the Desert Of Desolation series."
If you'd like pictures, Google it.
So one can very well talk about the DoD as being setting agnostic & be correct. DoD is the name of the module series, Pharaoh/Oasis of the white Palm/Lost Tomb of Martek are actually the chapter names/subtitles.
DoD existed before your precious FR.

BTW, you want to know what other wildly popular module is setting agnostic?
wait for it...
Ravenloft. Y
ep, good old I6. Also written by Hickman.
Though I suppose the case could be made that it actually exists in whatever world the original I3-I5 does as on p.28 of I5, in Marteks treasury, on the Nonmagical scrolls table result #2 is: a poster: Visit beautiful Barovia :)
Me? I always read that (even as a teen) as a bit of cheeky marketing/humor by Hickman, not actual world building.

The FR DoD is the only one that matters, the rest are just prototypes.

In 5e FR is the core setting, why would they shift it needless from their prefered setting when the fullest version of DoD is already set in FR?

Secondly part of what makes DoD interesting is it's impact on FR evolution/history.

There is no reason to set it in Mystara instead of FR, where the most recent version is set.

What does any of this have to do with Ravenloft?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The FR DoD is the only one that matters, the rest are just prototypes.

In 5e FR is the core setting, why would they shift it needless from their prefered setting when the fullest version of DoD is already set in FR?

Secondly part of what makes DoD interesting is it's impact on FR evolution/history.

There is no reason to set it in Mystara instead of FR, where the most recent version is set.

What does any of this have to do with Ravenloft?

This thread was about a home game, not any theoretical product. However, if they did do a Saltmarsh style book with DoD, it would probably be setting agnostic given the original nature of the module, with sidebars for adaption to specific settings like FR or Eberron.

gyor

Legend
Don't forget about Pathfinder. You should look into the first two books of the Mummy's Mask Adventure Path. The plots and premise could be easily adapted and fits the theme of the overall campaign.

Also worth considering, I think the Golarion version of ancient Egyt (Osirion) is far more interesting and detailed than the Forgotten Realms version. The series was not originally intended for any specific world, so it wouldn't be difficult adapting the key elements of each module into whatever setting used.

WotC doesn't own the rights to Osirion, Mummy's Mask AP, or Golarion, so they can't use them.

And Orision and FRs Mulhorand (and Bakar) are radically different settings, I mean both have Egyptian themes, but the history and story of the settings are hugely different.

Orision is a story of a nation that is rebuilding it's sense of self after regaining indepence from a being a colony of an Imperialist Power.

Mulhorand IS the Imperial power, but one that arose by overthrowing a far more evil one. It was argueably the most important human nation in FR, and multiple FR nations descend from it, Thay, Semphar, Mulgolhm, and other nations rose to power after dealing with it as mercinaries, and learning magic from it, like Narfell and Raunthium (misspelled that).

Mulhorand caused the Orc Gate wars, was victim of the first deicide, and so much more. It's ruins and cities dot like a third to half the Forgotten Realms.

gyor

Legend
This thread was about a home game, not any theoretical product. However, if they did do a Saltmarsh style book with DoD, it would probably be setting agnostic given the original nature of the module, with sidebars for adaption to specific settings like FR or Eberron.

A home game is totally different, place ot wherever you want. I thought it was about an official product which is very different.

Urriak

Explorer

The thread did start as a home-game idea, it has kind of morphed into a "how would WotC remake DoD," which I'm totally ok with.

I had no idea DoD was set in FR, that's interesting. It's a little unfortunate too, because Lost City and Desert Nomad are set in Mystara.

Has anyone played modules from Dungeon/Dragon magazine that were set in a desert? That was the format WotC took for Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and I think it worked well.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Kobold Press has an excellent series of adventures in their Southlands setting, particularly those taking place in "Per-Bastet, the Eternal City of the Cat." It's very Egyptian in flavor (which means their take on undead is rather different from most settings), with a dash of Arabian Nights. Most of these are available for both 5E and Pathfinder.

https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product-category/all-products/adventures/

Here's a list, though it may not be complete:

Cat and Mouse (a Maltese Falcon-type "noir" adventure with lots of social interaction opportunities; I've run it twice, and it's lots of fun)
Tomb of Tiberesh
Grimalkin
Last Gasp
Tomb of the Scorpion Prince (in the "Book of Lairs")
Three Little Pigs (a three-part adventure appearing in Warlock Lair 30, 31, 32)

Last edited:

EpicureanDM

Explorer
The Oasis of the Golden Peacock, by Tim Eagon in Dungeon 169 is a classic desert adventure for me. It reminds me of a miniature Caves of Chaos location filled with well-designed encounters and opportunities for RP. It's a gem.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases