The Final Bladelock

Xeviat

Hero
You can strip out Hex Warrior straight up, and Hexblade is still probably the strongest overall warlock patron. You can move Hex Warrior to Blade Pact if you want to stop Warlock 1 dips from happening, or just fold it into base warlock if you don't see the MC as being a problem.

You think their Curse is a big enough ability? It kind of is an extra spell slot, though you could stack if with Hex.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
You think their Curse is a big enough ability? It kind of is an extra spell slot, though you could stack if with Hex.
Sure is! It's a scaling, concentration-less Hex++ that stacks with Hex, that also becomes an amazing defensive tool against big bads at 10. The other warlock 1 abilities are good, too (except for Fey), but they're certainly not straight up better than Hexblade Curse.

yfere

Villager
Do you expect all class/subclass choices to have the same HP, AC, skill points and utility powers?

Class/Subclass choices are NOT INTENDED TO DO EQUAL DAMAGE.

And this is a thoroughly good thing. You see in some MMOs where classes are "balanced" around the idea that they should all do the same damage. And what you get is a bland mess where choosing your class is as meaningful as choosing the colour of your cloak.

If you want to build a character who is focused solely on maximising damage then you should choose your class and subclass accordingly. Don't try and change a different class, because that leads to choices becoming meaningless and is an ABOMINATION UNTO NUGGEN.
That's fair, but I always felt like the Bladelock should be more able to... do damage. Seeing as the class is all about weapons and melee fighting, as opposed to the Tome and Chain warlocks which are subclasses presumably geared more towards flexibility and utility. When the bladelock is actually weaker in terms of damage output than these other two subclasses though, it kind of makes you wonder... what's the point? You need a hexblade patron and a bunch of invocations to even make the bladelock playable, which is a crying shame

NotAYakk

Legend
I tweaked all pacts upwards.

Pact of the Blade can make ranged spell attacks as melee spell attacks using their pact weapon. They get a bonus to damage equal to 1/2 of their strength (rounded up), or dex (if finesse weapon).

For EB, I changed it to a standard cantrip (1d10 per tier damage). I then added a Warlock feature at 5/11/17 that lets them "split" their cantrip dice. For attack cantrips, they can target the same creature repeatedly; for non-attack cantrips, the targets must be separate.

I also made the agonizing blast apply to all warlock Cantrips, and be free at level 2.

This means you can play a Warlock that does a firebolt instead of a EB, or even one that uses debuff cantrips.

For Chain, I gave the familiar +3 HP/warlock level and +warlock prof mod to attacks, saves, AC and damage. In addition, when you tell the familiar to attack, it will continue to attack the same target if you don't stop it.

For Tome, the tome works as an arcane focus. While you have it in your hand, you can expend an action to regain a warlock spell slot. You can do this again after you complete a long rest.

For Hexblade, I changed "replace your attack stat with Cha" to "You add Cha/2, rounded up, to your attacks and damage with the weapon. If you bond a magical weapon, you instead add +1 to attack and +cha/2 (rounded up) to damage." This removes a few charop tricks (GWM+Elven Accuracy) incidentally but is mainly aimed at "it isn't only your mind swinging the sword" (verisimilitude).

(I also did some stuff to Hexblade's curse).

These are aimed at making the 3 pacts more distinct built-in.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases