D&D General If you could put D&D into any other non middle ages genre, what would it be?

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Wow, guys? Over "can I use my magic elf game to play cowboys and ^E^E^E Native Americans?"

Welcome to the Internet Tony, where we argue about whether Dungeons and Dragons can be used to play Cowhands and Indigenous Peoples of North America.

As complete aside, I get why some folks might not like to use D&D for a Western game. I just got Red Dead Redemption 2 and I was surprised that I could kill most targets with at most two shots. Range made a difference with the rifle but that was about it.

As a genre spaghetti westerns tend towards gritty "realism", where the Man with No Name is genuinely threatened by a single gunshot and is actively sneaky about not getting shot. At the same time though we have stuff like Bonanza, which is a very different style of Western when compared to A Fist Full of Dollars, or 3:10 to Yuma.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Welcome to the Internet Tony, where we argue about whether Dungeons and Dragons can be used to play Cowhands and Indigenous Peoples of North America.
Oh, the arguing, I get. I'm down for a nice argument. ;)

As complete aside, I get why some folks might not like to use D&D for a Western game.
As a genre spaghetti westerns tend towards gritty "realism", where the Man with No Name is genuinely threatened by a single gunshot and is actively sneaky about not getting shot. At the same time though we have stuff like Bonanza, which is a very different style of Western when compared to A Fist Full of Dollars, or 3:10 to Yuma.
There is a range, yes. How you model a character 'avoiding' the deadly bullets, though, can vary quite a bit. In 5e, the DM could choose to narrate hp loss more as near-misses, dropping prone to avoid being hit, ducking fully concealed behind cover, and the like - increasing desperation & disadvantage (not the mechanic) rather than accumulating injuries.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
More damage and same hp. Or same damage and less hp.

You're saying that D&D would work, just remove the defining features of D&D. Gotcha

So, now you’re claiming that the current edition ratio of weapon damage to PC HP is a defining feature of dnd?

seriously!?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Wow, guys? Over "can I use my magic elf game to play cowboys and ^E^E^E Native Americans?"

No, not over that. And since I know you’re prolifically active in many threads over the past couple years, I know you know it’s much more than that.

Besides, he wanted to skip my posts, so I’m simply helping him.

CapnZapp

Legend
So, now you’re claiming that the current edition ratio of weapon damage to PC HP is a defining feature of dnd?
No, I'm not.

I'm pointing out to you that increasing damage is functionally equivalent to decreasing hp.

I'm pointing out to you that your attempted solution is indicative of the greater problem which might be best solved by switching to a other damage model entirely.

At no point am I comparing editions. I'm talking about hit points in general. Every edition of D&D has hit points; ergo I'm discussing D&D in general.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Pop quiz: When a wild-west gunslinger shoots an umber hulk, what should happen?

(I'm not directing this at any one person. I'm just trying to point out that the damage mechanic needs to encompass more than just "shootout at high noon." Also, as an aside, the protagonist, who is a PC, always wins the shootout at high noon, so attack and damage mechanics are already secondary to what's happening there.)

innerdude

Legend
Wow, 19 pages in . . . . So um, maybe I'll just answer the OP's question and slink away . . . . :cool:

Age of Sail. Hands down, no questions asked, if D&D wasn't "medieval fantasy" by default, I'd want it to be Age of Sail.

Oofta

Legend
Pop quiz: When a wild-west gunslinger shoots an umber hulk, what should happen?

(I'm not directing this at any one person. I'm just trying to point out that the damage mechanic needs to encompass more than just "shootout at high noon." Also, as an aside, the protagonist, who is a PC, always wins the shootout at high noon, so attack and damage mechanics are already secondary to what's happening there.)

Probably about the same thing as shooting a grizzly bear if you're using a 19th century pistol. You get a pissed off umber hulk. Using a rifle? Hope you're a really good shot. But you can only take real world as a template for anything in D&D so far. People have killed grizzly bears with .22s, it's just really, really unlikely. Even a modern hunting rifle is no guarantee of stopping a charging grizzly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases