If you could put D&D into any other non middle ages genre, what would it be? - Page 13
Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 449
  1. #121
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Saelorn View Post
    Yes, I am also a fan of Xena.
    Dude!

  2. #122
    Member
    Time Agent (Lvl 24)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    4,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Saelorn View Post
    I do, and it's the primary reason why I can't play 5E unless something has been done to address the healing rules.

    When a goblin stabs you for 5 damage out of your 80hp, that's perfectly fine with me, because you're a mighty hero and you're wearing armor. Most armor is pretty good about dulling the impact of a sword. I can buy that it takes 16 hits before you've been battered into submission.

    The issue is when you wake up in the morning, and the wounds which would have killed a lesser mortal have vanished entirely. That is making a mockery of the weapon.

    Which is one of the reasons I use the alternate rest rules. Well, that and magic band-aids and salves because otherwise a lot of wounds would be permanent, which just doesn't fit with the number of encounters that adventurers normally face. A lot of wounds historically were fatal days or weeks after combat was over, which I just handle as my campaign world having the equivalent of magical penicillin.
    XP Saelorn gave XP for this post

  3. #123
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aloha, or
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris-77 View Post
    D&D and weapons work fine until you circle back around to realistic damage. .
    ^a more accurate edit

    FWIW, I largely agree with you on everything else.
    XP Laurefindel gave XP for this post
    Laugh Fenris-77 laughed with this post

  4. #124
    Member
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)



    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    64
    Getting firearms to work mechanically isn't very hard. You could honestly treat them a lot like how crossbows are currently used in 5e. A goblin getting hit by a bullet and surviving can be treated much like how you would treat him getting hit by a crossbow bolt.

    You have to remember that firearms were not at all advanced for a very long time, even in a Wild West setting Native Americans were incredibly dangerous until more advanced revolvers made it easier for American soldiers to fire weapons on horseback.

  5. #125
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacrosanct View Post
    ^a more accurate edit

    FWIW, I largely agree with you on everything else.
    OK, fine, weapons. Simple firearms rules do work just fine in D&D though, as mentioned above, and in many, many other threads. Realistic and detailed firearms rules mostly don't, neither for attack nor damage, but there are other system that do that well (or at least better), and if I wanted or needed hyper-realistic firearms rules I would look at one of those systems. I mostly don't want or need that rules set, but many people do, I'm sure. What I find a little boggling is how much time some people will spend complaining that a system that obviously wasn't designed to do a particular thing, doesn't do that particular thing particularly well.

    Captain Obvious says Look elsewhere for your hyper-realistic firearms rules citizen, you won't find them here! Tra laa laaaa! Now it is time to fly again....

  6. #126
    Member
    Time Agent (Lvl 24)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    4,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris-77 View Post
    OK, fine, weapons. Simple firearms rules do work just fine in D&D though, as mentioned above, and in many, many other threads. Realistic and detailed firearms rules mostly don't, neither for attack nor damage, but there are other system that do that well (or at least better), and if I wanted or needed hyper-realistic firearms rules I would look at one of those systems. I mostly don't want or need that rules set, but many people do, I'm sure. What I find a little boggling is how much time some people will spend complaining that a system that obviously wasn't designed to do a particular thing, doesn't do that particular thing particularly well.

    Captain Obvious says Look elsewhere for your hyper-realistic firearms rules citizen, you won't find them here! Tra laa laaaa! Now it is time to fly again....

    I agree but in all fairness, Captain Obvious could also point out that if you're looking for hyper-realistic simulation rules for just about anything you won't find them in D&D. Which doesn't make it a bad system because quite frequently reality sucks.
    XP Fenris-77, Fanaelialae gave XP for this post
    Laugh MarkB laughed with this post

  7. #127
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    MarkB's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris-77 View Post
    D&D and firearms work fine until you circle back around to realistic damage. Most heroes in most action movies have a very D&D relationship with firearms. The bad guys don't, but that fits pretty well into D&D too. What D&D doesn't really do, not when you follow CR system anyway, and previous versions of the same, is deal with the concept of minions or henchmen, at least from a one-punch one-kill cinematic standpoint anyway. D&D can do that, but it takes an alternative approach to encounter design.
    D&D 5e handles it just fine, even with pretty much standard encounter design. The whole point of Bounded Accuracy is that it keeps opponents of varied levels relevant in a fight - you can easily throw in a bunch of low-level minions alongside the tough bruisers, and it'll work fine in terms of both encounter design and XP budget.

  8. #128
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    446
    Oh it handles it fine, but that's just not the way a lot of people run their games. The range of baddies tends to picked from a selection banded around the characters level. Not everyone throws in disposable one-hit minions specifically to have them act like one-hit minions. And when I say one hit, I mean 7th Sea one-hit, not, "I'll probably kill it with one hit". Anyway, we agree that D&D can do this, which was my point, we may disagree about how often it gets done, but that's not terribly important to the larger conversation.

  9. #129
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    MarkB's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris-77 View Post
    Oh it handles it fine, but that's just not the way a lot of people run their games. The range of baddies tends to picked from a selection banded around the characters level. Not everyone throws in disposable one-hit minions specifically to have them act like one-hit minions. And when I say one hit, I mean 7th Sea one-hit, not, "I'll probably kill it with one hit". Anyway, we agree that D&D can do this, which was my point, we may disagree about how often it gets done, but that's not terribly important to the larger conversation.
    It's important in the sense that, if you want to adapt 5e to a genre where minions are expected, it has the tools for the job - and those tools aren't even crude or rudimentary.

  10. #130
    Member
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

    Leatherhead's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Posts
    2,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanaelialae View Post
    Perhaps gritty is the default assumed tone for a Western.
    Spaghetti Western, sure. Classical Western, not so much. They are too "Black and White" (in regards to morality, not a technicolor joke) and try to stay away from, or pretty up, the ugly bits of the Old West.

Similar Threads

  1. D&D in the Middle Ages?
    By Darth Shoju in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Monday, 28th November, 2005, 02:41 PM
  2. Government Types in the Middle Ages?
    By NewJeffCT in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Thursday, 5th February, 2004, 10:00 PM
  3. disease in the middle ages
    By alsih2o in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Monday, 17th March, 2003, 01:47 AM
  4. Bar games of the middle ages...
    By Arravis in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Friday, 12th April, 2002, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •