If you could put D&D into any other non middle ages genre, what would it be? - Page 18
Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 449
  1. #171
    Member
    Titan (Lvl 27)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    San Jose/Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    15,285
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
    Yes, he's essentially Conan throwing rocks.
    Hey! That's type-casting!
    ...poor Arnie...

    The point is: when most people mention a modern game with insurgents or drug dealers, Commando is not what they have in mind, and D&D is not an obvious fit.
    In other words, the setting suggests different ways to play.
    Yeah, I get it. D&D incentivizes certain tactics, strategies, modes of play, whatever you want to call it. 5e give the DM a /lot/ of latitude, though.

    The game may incentivize toe-to-toe damage-trading (I'm not so sure it does, but for the sake of argument), and the player may thus declare a simple action in accord with the reality that doing damage is a sloggy sort of thing. The DM, though, gets to narrate the results of that action...

    FREX:
    Player (with bored resignation*): "I guess I shoot the guy in front of me again." "Hit AC 19 for 15 damage."
    DM (with unbridled enthusiasm): "You dash across the dusty street of Tombstone, fanning your six-gun as you go! The bandidos scatter for cover, the one you were aiming at dives behind a water trough your .45 slugs dash fountains out of the water as he cowers behind it. He hasn't got much fight left in him! Bullets whiz by as the others return fire, but your gunfighter's finely honed instincts allow you to all but complete avoid them - you wince as one goes straight through your Stetson, that was too close! Um, take 12 damage." "Next!"
    Player 2 (with stunned incredulity): "That was, like, nothing like what he said he was doing."


    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Lewis View Post
    Ok. So firearms don't work in D&D because we can't accurately portray them like we see in the movies??! First, movies aren't very accurate. Second, D&D is even less accurate than movies.
    Prettymuch. And making them "realistic" would only deepen the problem. Modeling genre expectations gives you more verisimilitude than modeling reality. (cf "Reality isn't Real" trope... if you dare.)

    Third, its a GAME. Games are usually designed to be balanced, challenging, and/or fun.
    Games that don't have "D&D" on the cover, sure. D&D, it turns out, to be acceptably familiar enough to its fans to have a shot at commercial success, must be designed to be imbalanced in specific ways. In the case of 5e, it seems to be (im)balanced to err a bit on the side of "too easy" (at least, according to some vocal detractors - I don't see it much, IMX, but I've mostly run it at very low levels, as AL and con organizers seem to always want intro games to be 1st level - and I can see why on a theoretical/technical level) which might, indeed, make combat not seem too much like an action movie.


    Quote Originally Posted by doctorbadwolf View Post
    The damage model of dnd, with more damage but not more HP, would encourage shooting your high damage at others from behind cover.
    Ya know, like in a shootout.
    Nod. The problem is that when you push the d20 towards the edges, you get a lot of missing - which is boring/frustrating - and who finally takes that high-damage hit and goes down gets very random.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Farquhar View Post
    Which people? Who? Where
    Those people, over there :waves vaguely in no particular direction:: - the ones playing Squad Leader.
    Last edited by Tony Vargas; Tuesday, 18th June, 2019 at 07:57 PM.

  2. #172
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vargas View Post
    Yeah, I get it. D&D incentivizes certain tactics, strategies, modes of play, whatever you want to call it. 5e give the DM a /lot/ of latitude, though.

    The game may incentivize toe-to-toe damage-trading (I'm not so sure it does, but for the sake of argument), and the player may thus declare a simple action in accord with the reality that doing damage is a sloggy sort of thing. The player, though, gets to narrate the results of that action...

    FREX:
    Player (with bored resignation*): "I guess I shoot the guy in front of me again." "Hit AC 19 for 15 damage."
    DM (with unbridled enthusiasm): "You dash across the dusty street of Tombstone, fanning your six-gun as you go! The bandidos scatter for cover, the one you were aiming at dives behind a water trough your .45 slugs dash fountains out of the water as he cowers behind it. He hasn't got much fight left in him! Bullets whiz by as the others return fire, but your gunfighter's finely honed instincts allow you to all but complete avoid them - you wince as one goes straight through your Stetson, that was too close! Um, take 12 damage." "Next!"
    Player 2 (with stunned incredulity): "That was, like, nothing like what he said he was doing."
    I don't understand what you're trying to say with this, what that example is meant to illustrate.

  3. #173
    Member
    Titan (Lvl 27)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    San Jose/Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    15,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyrn View Post
    I don't understand what you're trying to say with this, what that example is meant to illustrate.
    "DM Narrates Results" gives the 5e DM tremendous latitude to inject genre into his game - any genre.

    Not all players may 'get' it, though. ;(

  4. #174
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vargas View Post
    "DM Narrates Results" gives the 5e DM tremendous latitude to inject genre into his game - any genre.

    Not all players may 'get' it, though. ;(
    Okay, that explains it. Although I'll ignore all the terrible bits in your example that would serve as good examples of what I avoid as a DM and leave to the players to narrate for themselves, I understand what you're saying now and even agree.
    XP Tony Vargas gave XP for this post

  5. #175
    Member
    Titan (Lvl 27)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    San Jose/Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    15,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyrn View Post
    Okay, that explains it. Although I'll ignore all the terrible bits in your example that would serve as good examples of what I avoid as a DM and leave to the players to narrate for themselves, I understand what you're saying now and even agree.
    Yeah, it was kinda a tongue-in-cheek example... I should try to be more serious... sometimes...

    ...not right now.

  6. #176
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aloha, or
    Posts
    5,727
    My post in my OP: I'd really love to hear how you would apply D&D rules to a different genre.
    Last 8 pages: That would never work


    Should have been expected, really...

  7. #177
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vargas View Post
    Yeah, it was kinda a tongue-in-cheek example... I should try to be more serious... sometimes...

    ...not right now.
    Don't be serious on my account! No. Wait. You should be serious. Always. I hate competition.

    But it wasn't even the example that hampered my understanding of what you were trying to say. I simply couldn't piece together what you were saying before the example. I think it was mostly because you said "player" but meant "DM:"

    The game may incentivize toe-to-toe damage-trading (I'm not so sure it does, but for the sake of argument), and the player may thus declare a simple action in accord with the reality that doing damage is a sloggy sort of thing. The player, though, gets to narrate the results of that action...
    XP Tony Vargas gave XP for this post

  8. #178
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13,048
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorbadwolf View Post
    The damage model of dnd, with more damage but not more HP, would encourage shooting your high damage at others from behind cover.

    Ya know, like in a shootout.
    More damage and same hp. Or same damage and less hp.

    You're saying that D&D would work, just remove the defining features of D&D. Gotcha
    Laugh Tony Vargas laughed with this post

  9. #179
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacrosanct View Post
    You really don't see the irony in you making this statement, do you? I'm not accusing anyone of badwrong. That's you. You were the one that said people expect/play wild west a certain way. You did it again a few posts below this one I quoted. All I did is say that assumption is wrong. I'm not saying people who play that way are wrong, I'm saying it's wrong to assume that's what everyone wants or does.

    Man, this never gets old, does it? You make sweeping generalizations about people and assume what you want is the only true way and everyone else must play like how you want, and every time it gets called out how that's not true, you act like they are making a personal attack on you or people like you. Every. Freaking. Time.
    Thank you for making it personal. Makes it easy to skip your posts.

  10. #180
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aloha, or
    Posts
    5,727
    I'll make it even easier for you to skip my posts. Because I'm a giver like that.
    XP doctorbadwolf gave XP for this post

Similar Threads

  1. D&D in the Middle Ages?
    By Darth Shoju in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Monday, 28th November, 2005, 02:41 PM
  2. Government Types in the Middle Ages?
    By NewJeffCT in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Thursday, 5th February, 2004, 10:00 PM
  3. disease in the middle ages
    By alsih2o in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Monday, 17th March, 2003, 01:47 AM
  4. Bar games of the middle ages...
    By Arravis in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Friday, 12th April, 2002, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •