Chaotic Good Is The Most Popular Alignment!

D&D Beyond has provided yet another of it's data dumps of 12 million characters -- this time telling us character alignments are most popular in D&D. Chaotic Good wins, followed by my least favourite as a DM, Chaotic Neutral. Chaotic Evil is the least popular.

D&D Beyond has provided yet another of it's data dumps of 12 million characters -- this time telling us character alignments are most popular in D&D. Chaotic Good wins, followed by my least favourite as a DM, Chaotic Neutral. Chaotic Evil is the least popular.

Screenshot 2019-06-13 at 23.14.00.png

The developer does say that this does not count the percentage of characters with no alignment selected. You can see the original video here.

5ekyu

Hero
Good thing I’ve never said otherwise.

Btw, I’m pretty sure the first dnd forum argument I ever engaged in was basically this argument, on the old wotc forums, back when 4e was still coming out. I think you were there.

I wish those forums were still there, so I could go find out if anyone has changed their minds in that time.
Honestly, I recall very similar alignment "discussion" in 1e so as far as I can tell, alignment has led to the same pointless disagreements over the same pointless positions nd strawmen since it came out.

Only real difference us thst now it doesnt actually have mechanical penalties hanging on the outcomes.

Oofta

Legend
Cool, because that's not what I said.

No. That would be silly.

Correct. However, a belief system that involves a belief that the laws of the land are of little concern and that everyone should be free, is chaotic. Even in an evil land, 95% of the laws will not be evil and a good character would follow those, so the laws of the land are of concern to a lawful character. The laws that a LG character would ignore would be the few unjust/evil ones.

I don't, either, but then that wasn't an argument I put forth.

Then I have no idea what you're saying. If a LG PC ignores laws they perceive as evil/unjust such as worshipping a LG deity then they would ignore the law allowing slavery if they believe that such a law is evil/unjust. That does not make them chaotic, it just means they believe slavery is wrong.

Oofta

Legend
For one, following the laws of the land is not what lawful good is about. Lawful Neutral? Maybe. But, the good aspect of LG means judging laws based on morality and acting accordingly. What about LG would imply that they have to follow all the laws?

I was responding to MaxPerson who was stating that a LG person would not free slaves if slavery was the law of the land. He stated that made them chaotic for ignoring a law. At the same time ignoring a law that said it was illegal to worship their deity could somehow be ignored.

I disagree with that sentiment, that's all. LG doesn't mean you obey all laws if you believe the law is significantly immoral or unjust.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Honestly, I recall very similar alignment "discussion" in 1e so as far as I can tell, alignment has led to the same pointless disagreements over the same pointless positions nd strawmen since it came out.

Only real difference us thst now it doesnt actually have mechanical penalties hanging on the outcomes.

Unless you are a paladin, but that's tied more to the oaths, rather than alignment. It's just the the oaths tend towards a specific alignment or few alignments, so it's kinda sorta an alignment penalty mechanic to violate the oath.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Then I have no idea what you're saying. If a LG PC ignores laws they perceive as evil/unjust such as worshipping a LG deity then they would ignore the law allowing slavery if they believe that such a law is evil/unjust. That does not make them chaotic, it just means they believe slavery is wrong.

The explanation was in the post you just quoted. I'm not sure what it is that you don't understand.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I was responding to MaxPerson who was stating that a LG person would not free slaves if slavery was the law of the land.

Except that not only did I never say that, I said directly that they would in my first response(and other responses) to you. There would just be slightly different motivations.

He stated that made them chaotic for ignoring a law.

Nope. This Strawman repeated for the 4th or 5th time still isn't true.

At the same time ignoring a law that said it was illegal to worship their deity could somehow be ignored.

Didn't say that either.

Do you actually read my posts, or just type in responses for me before you respond?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
LG doesn't mean you obey all laws if you believe the law is significantly immoral or unjust.
The way I see it, Neutral good ignores unjust laws, Chaotic Good fights to disrupt unjust governments, and Lawful Good works to reform unjust governments.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The way I see it, Neutral good ignores unjust laws, Chaotic Good fights to disrupt unjust governments, and Lawful Good works to reform unjust governments.

I disagree. Let's take a scenario where there is an evil dictator in charge of a country that a LG Paladin enters. In that country it's illegal to murder people. However, there is also a law that allows the dictator's personal guard to ignore that rule murder anyone they like. The Paladin is in the bar and the server accidentally spills an ale on one of the personal guard. In response the guard stands up and draws his sword to remove the head of the offender. The LG Paladin is going to step in and prevent the murder from happening, despite the law allowing it. He's not going to sit back and allow the murder to happen, then create signs and go with the rest of the party to protest outside the castle until the dictator reforms things.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads