D&D 5E Durable Feat is weak, Healer feat is too strong

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Since I really like the flavor of Inspiring Leader how does it stack up in peoples opinions I have heard its borderline broken

Xeviat

Hero
Since I really like the flavor of Inspiring Leader how does it stack up in peoples opinions I have heard its borderline broken

It offers a little less "healing" than Healer does (Cha + Level instead of 1d6+4+level), and you can't do it in the heat of combat, but it "over heals" since it gives temp HP.

In the group I saw with a character who had it (oddly, a Tomelock of a Great Old One), it proved very useful, adding some extra hp to everyone before or after hard fights. Even at 5th level (the highest we got), getting an extra 9 HP made players feel safer.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It offers a little less "healing" than Healer does (Cha + Level instead of 1d6+4+level), and you can't do it in the heat of combat, but it "over heals" since it gives temp HP.

In the group I saw with a character who had it (oddly, a Tomelock of a Great Old One), it proved very useful, adding some extra hp to everyone before or after hard fights. Even at 5th level (the highest we got), getting an extra 9 HP made players feel safer.

I think you are downplaying its key component.

It is effectively pre-healing. It adds a chunk of HP onto everyone. That makes their survivability go way up.

I would much rather have 10 THP before battle than 20 HP healing after.

The other thing is how easy healing is to get. Inspiring Leader gives you something few abilities do while Healer gives you something that many classes can do and everyone can do by buying potions.

GeminiDragon

Villager
I modified the Durable feat to restore all Hit Dice after a long rest. It's much simpler and allows more characters to take advantage of its benefits. Even in this form, it's only appealing to those looking for renewable non-magical healing resources. It might not be a bad choice if your safe points for a long rest are often limited or you're incentivized to tackle multiple encounters.

Durable
Hardy and resilient, you gain the following benefits:​
  • Increase your Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
  • At the end of a long rest, you regain all spent Hit Dice.
You need to add, you regain the maximum number of points from all Healing Effects (Spells, Abilities, Healing Kits, HD). This would mean the Con 20 Barbarian would get 17 HP from a single HD (sort of garbage, but that is effectively 1/4 his HP at Level 4 when he could have taken the Durable Feat).

Also, to really fix it... take away the "to a maximum of 20", that phrase needs to be removed from all things, it makes Pixies as healthy as Bugbears, Orcs as nimble as Tabaxi, Ogres as smart as Gnomes, and makes no sense. PCs are supposed to be heroes, not ordinary people, and therefore shouldn't have ordinary limits. One of the worst things ever done was setting a Ability Score Cap.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
1671846960123.png

THREAD NECRO!!! :D

GeminiDragon

Villager
At first I was thinking "Wait, people are still salty about the Healer feat and capped ability scores?" and then I saw the Thread Necro post.

Well played.
Capped Ability Scores... yes. Healer Feat is cool. I was just making a suggestion. Don't know why the thread came up when I was looking for info on things like the Gift of the Ever-Living Ones Invocation that help with restoring full HP in regards to the current complaints about the OneDnD Divine Spark Cleric Feature.

I don't understand why people get upset with thread necros. First off, there are probably bigger concerns in life...

"It's not like knowledge has an expiry date."
~ History

Sometimes what was being discussed 1/5/10 years ago is still pertinent. Even if it isn't... what's the point of complaining about it? I am genuinely curious as to why thread resurrections bother certain people. To me, erasing knowledge and historical records in general is an odd goal to strive for. But bigger than that... who cares? If someone inadvertently responds to an old thread, why not just let it go?

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I don't know that anyone said anything indicating that nercoing a thread is a problem or annoyance. It's more of a curiosity, or point of interest, hence why people like to point it out.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I don't understand why people get upset with thread necros.
Who did?!? :cautious:

I don't know that anyone said anything indicating that nercoing a thread is a problem or annoyance.
Correct, no one did that I'm aware.

It's more of a curiosity, or point of interest, hence why people like to point it out.
Or we just find it funny that someone replied to a thread that was dead without realizing it. :)

But bigger than that... who cares? If someone inadvertently responds to an old thread, why not just let it go?
Why does it bother you? Every time someone points out a thread necro it is done in fun IME, yet it seems to offend you. Why not just let that go? ;)

Remove ads