5E New survey from WotC about boxed sets - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeDragon View Post
    All good stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

I stopped following FR when 4E came out, and I haven't bought any of the faux-mini-gazetteers bundled in with useless adventures, so I'm totally out of the loop on the current state of FR.
    If one is into such things, this is currently a Golden Age for adventure modules. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Enevhar Aldarion View Post
    So the D&D Essentials Kit, which handles character creation (which the Starter Set does not) and has an intro adventure, is already coming out this month at Target. What if the next box set, which this may be about, is another one that will start as a Target exclusive and will be something like the Forgotten Realms Essentials Kit and will be a sequel/add-on for the first box? Considering one of the items we could choose was the simplified/intro/whatever it was called rules insert and even the Realms could have something like that for setting-specific race and class info, like the stuff we have already seen in a few of the hardcover books.
    Quite possible: given the timing, and similar products for Ravnica, I'm betting on an Eberron intro boxed set, but who knows what these guys have up their sleeves...

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    If one is into such things, this is currently a Golden Age for adventure modules. YMMV.
    My mileage does indeed vary quite a lot.
    XP Parmandur gave XP for this post

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    Mike Mearls went over the Class/Race situation for Dark Sun in an episode of the Happy Fun Hour. As he laid it out, in detail, an official 5E Dark Sun would limit Race and Class options for flavor, and he detailed which specific Subclasses that would entail.
    Do you happen to remember which one that was? Because I do not remember that one at all.
    XP gyor gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by vecna00 View Post
    Do you happen to remember which one that was? Because I do not remember that one at all.
    It was in the Q&A section on the back-end of one of the Episodes, basically took over the Q&A segment: it was either after one of the Mystic sublass episodes, or one of the subsequent episodes when people were asking about the Psion and plans for the Class. I haven't been able to find it quickly on Google, but lemme rustle that up later today...
    XP vecna00 gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeDragon View Post
    I'm perfectly aware Zakhara is in FR. I do have all the 2E boxed sets and other material for the setting after all.

FR was ok, but all the peripheral settings (Al-Qadim, Maztica and Kara-Tur and The Horde) were more interesting (and that's saying something, considering I hate almost all things Oriental - Kara-Tur should not be more interesting to me).

If the first box is FR, they will have a devil of a time uning the place, since 4E decided to nuke the setting (...again...).

Then again, if they do something like Dark Sun, I'd hate to see them screw it up by trying to make the setting another "everything goes" place. Tieflings and Dragonborn have no place in DS, and I'm afraid they'd create some idiotic justification to have them walking around...
    5e's the Sundering already cleaned up the worst of magical nuclear fallout from the Spellplague. They brought back the nations they smashed or teleported like Mulhorand, Unther, the lost parts of Chessenta, Halruaa, Maztica, but kept the cooler 4e stuff, like Tymanther (reduced to it's two cool cities), Airspur, Warlock Knights of Vaasa, the Warlock Crypt, Shadowfell and Feywilf, ect...

5e FR is really interesting.
    XP BronzeDragon gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by vecna00 View Post
    He goes into that in this episode, where he is going over the design goals for Psionics, the primary goal being "Support Dark Sun":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gznSEmZ5HVY
    XP vecna00 gave XP for this post

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

If I were to purchase a box, I would like for that box to be filled. Why use a box 1.5 inches tall, if you only put .5 inches of material in it?

Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

Quote Originally Posted by Draegn View Post
    If I were to purchase a box, I would like for that box to be filled. Why use a box 1.5 inches tall, if you only put .5 inches of material in it?
    They do that for two reasons:

1) its more visible on the store shelf

2) you can put your own stuff in it too
    XP SkidAce, aco175, Giltonio_Santos gave XP for this post

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    They do that for two reasons:

1) its more visible on the store shelf

2) you can put your own stuff in it too
    From a psychological point of view, a box that is not full can cause people to feel they are not getting their money's worth. To this end one local shop will not stock box sets, for, the books out sell the boxes. A box set has to be special ordered.

From the point of view of one's wallet, a larger box weighs more and thus shipping costs are increased.

I rather have my shelves be neat and tidy, unlike my brothers's whose shelving looks like a jenga game.