Narrative/Novel D&D...ND&D. Imagine if the game played just like the D&D novels?

Travis Henry

First Post
So what happens when we all show up with different versions of the story?

Well, each Customized Novel would have special logo and customized "co-author" (the customer's name) printed on the cover alongside the original author (Salvatore, Weiss & Hickman, etc).

That's the probably the same thing Boardgamers said when Roleplaying Games were invented. "What do you mean the game story is customizable and kit-bashable by each consumer? Where's my Monopoly car?" ;-) Or what TSR grognards said when the OGL came out.

Last edited:

Travis Henry

First Post
Thinking about it, I kind of think what you're looking for might be something like Dungeon World? You have archetypes with distinctive fighting styles and "moves" they can make to use them, which fits what you're saying about a baked array of narrative descriptions.

Yes, Feng Shui + Dungeon World, set firmly in the D&D Fiction Multiverse.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
- Don't look up rules at the table, if the DM or another player isn't sure, the DM says, "Not sure, let's make a strength attack with proficiency for grappling, on the orc's turn he can try to break it with an opposed check." (Sure, they got the rule wrong, but who cares? Fun continues!)
Who cares? Internal consistency very much cares, in that it somewhat demands that the rule that was got wrong must then stay that way for the rest of the campaign such that the campaign/setting can be and remain consistent with itself.

Which means, take the time to either a) get it right or b) think long and hard on the downstream ramifications of whatever wrong ruling you have in mind before going with it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The most basic aspect of my question is about making a version of D&D which somehow runs as quickly as D&D Fiction -- covering the the same amount of ground, in the same amount of Real Time.
I'm not the world's fastest reader but I can get through a typical FR fiction book in one evening*.

To have the game-at-table progress at that speed would be ludicrous. Hell, the players wouldn't even be able to get through a quarter of the spoken dialogue in that time, never mind the travel, exploration, information gathering, combats, and all the rest of what goes into the amount of campaigning depicted in the average D&D novel.

* - though afterwards I'll wonder why I bothered.

And it would still look and feel like D&D.
I'm not at all sure it would.

Because it (ND&D) would be fully based on D&D Fiction. But numbers-wise, it would have to play a lot quicker than any existing iteration of D&D!
You could take out all the numbers and it still wouldn't play at the speed of reading a novel.

jasper

Rotten DM
Now to take it further: (I can dream can't I?)

In conjunction with the ND&D ruleset, I'd like WotC to be the world's first producer of Customizable Novels.

• A customer can pay a fee to have their own characters' names inserted into the story (such as the Dragonlance Chronicles or Icewind Dale Trilogy), and issued as a customized print-on-demand hardcopy.
  • Each novel in the D&D fiction line would have an online form where you fill in certain customizable features: at the very least the names of the heroes.
  • But as the online interface became more sophisticated, it wouldn't be limited to just names; the customer could select from various alternate passages or endings...or perhaps even open it up to the point where the customer can type in their own modifications of the entire story!

This Customizable Novel idea is not necessarily tied to the ND&D ruleset I envisioned. But they're sorta related, in that they're both based on cultivating a "novellic" D&D experience.

It'd be a new medium. I should patent this! haha
Not a new medium. Grandpa Jasper and Grandmama Jasper been ordering kids books like this from TBS (the station) when to cable in 1980. Just Call 1-800-Grandma using your Visa or MasterCard, your gift will be shipped to you in six to eight weeks. If your order two there will be a separate shipping and handling fee.

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
Shades of Bryan and Knights of the Dinner Table discussing Hackmaster tie in Novels.
Just pass out the following signs to players.
DM’s Pet My PC survives with minor…..
DM’s Pet My PC does cool move….
My PC does max damage and a crit…..
Pass out the following dice.
My d20 has all 20s.
My d6 has all 50s
My d2 has all 100s.
Please note all your players must be wanna be writers or actors and can do scenes at the drop of die.

Bobble

Villager
The most basic aspect of my question is about making a version of D&D which somehow runs as quickly as D&D Fiction -- covering the the same amount of ground, in the same amount of Real Time.

That is impossible IF you want to play a D&D type RPG. That would be like asking a builder to build a large structure as fast as it would take to do a walk though of the completed structure.

As I am retiree I'm always looking to increase my treasure horde so I will bet you YOUR life savings that you cannot make such a game. After playing and running RPGs for 40 years I know I stand a 0% chance of losing this bet.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I understand your point.

In our game, combat on a significant scale would take a couple hours and it seemed like forever. We've done some things that have streamlined our process and works well for us. Combat flows much faster and our DM is a lot more narrative as a side-effect.

1. If you are rolling initiative each round, stop it. Roll once, and keep the same order every round. We were worried about how it would affect the game, making it predictable, etc. and that hasn't happened at all. It speeds things up when our DM doesn't have to re-order initiative each round.

2. Use average damage for weapons and spells. Sure, rolling dice is fun, and sometimes players still roll. But for a Fireball, but when I cast it I do 28 (average) damage each time. I don't spend time counting out the dice and adding up the result. The same goes for Sneak Attack damage, I do 10 (from 3d6) each time. My d6 shortsword does 3 each time, plus my bonuses of course.

Our DM uses average for the monsters and NPCs always, for spells and everything. The ONLY exception is if the spell or attack could result in a character death using average damage. In such cases, he rolls because it will give the character a chance to live instead of automatically killing him with average damage.

If you decide to use the averages for damage, make notes of the amount on your characters and include bonuses. That way it saves you time making the calculations on the fly.

3. Have options for prepared spell lists. We just started doing this for spellcasters so we aren't wasting time with players selecting spells for different situations.

Anyway, while a novel D&D ins't bad for people who want it, too much narrative isn't the taste many tables want. But if your goal is also to speed up combat, the above options and they might help. I know they have helped us A LOT! :)

dave2008

Legend
It's not only about becoming a master DM (or master player) who's good at describing things - I'm conceiving a ruleset that "bakes" a picturesque array of narrative descriptions into the game itself.

Personally, that is my issue with what you are trying to do. The fiction created by my imagination is usually, if not always, more vibrant, exciting, and engaging than a novel or movie. It may take longer for us to play, but our imagines are, I believe, more picturesque than any baked-in narrative would likely be.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases