D&D 4E Intelligent Blademaster Swordmage from 4e, how might I build him for 5e.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Another ingredient to the mix which I didnt mention because it wasnt important at level 1 the Swordmage class had plenty of teleportation/blink magics Alex had a short range teleport attack once a day at level one but if he makes it to level 20 will have Omnipresent Assault where he blinks around the battlefield as a Ghostblade and launches an attack against every enemy in sight (no range limit aside from being able to see them). A flavorfully very awesome ability but largely useful for clearing minions from the field rather than being really powerful. (unless your high level heroes fight against armies of Goblins with frequency then it is damn ultimate)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You could also ask your DM if they would allow you to make a warlock who uses intelligence instead of charisma as their spellcasting ability. If so, a Hexblade/Pact of the Blade warlock could get you a lot of what you're looking for. I allow warlocks at my table to choose intelligence, wisdom, or charisma as their spellcasting ability on character creation - so far it has never caused any balance issues, and for rp purposes has allowed players to have warlocks who are smart or crafty and not necessarily social butterflies.

I was considering some of this kind of flexibility Modify Eldritch Knight

Arcane Weaponmastery at level 3 when you chose this subclass you have begun to integrate you spellcraft with your weapon use for purposes of attack and magic. Choose one mental attribute this attribute as your spell casting attribute. This attribute becomes the basis of your attack roll and a penalty to saving throws against any of your spells which grant one.

Note the above still leaves Dex and Strength in the picture for damage (which strength atleast is in 4e swordmages but since this would cover the Arcane Archer too it makes sense to also enable Dex)

Additionally you may use your spell casting attribute with Mage Armor.

Last edited:

Remove ads