Geekdom Takes a Bow - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    What he was probably thinking is defending himself intelligently from someone accusing him of being racist.
    You might dislike the phrase "geek blackphace", i must admit it's not to my taste either, but that's not a valid reason to ban the user from the thread in my opinion. The other one is an example of how vicious and unfair a baseless allegation can be.
    Last edited by Morrus; Wednesday, 19th June, 2019 at 02:59 PM.
    XP M.L. Martin, Eirikrautha gave XP for this post

Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

Geekdom Takes a Bow

TBBT is a sitcom. Sitcoms are generally the same, just the characters change.

There have been sitcoms featuring wartime medics, upper class toffs, pretty people in New York, and everything in between. The characters are always the butt of the joke.

This time it was scientists. The fact that geeks finding scientists in the same mainstream sitcoms as everybody else gets them upset kinda reinforces the “otherness” of them. Why shouldn’t geeks be in the same mainstream sitcoms as everybody else? I don’t see middle class British dentists getting upset because of a sitcom.
    Last edited by Morrus; Wednesday, 19th June, 2019 at 12:25 AM.

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Quote Originally Posted by Eirikrautha View Post
    MCU may have more films planned, but we'll see how they fare without stars like RD, Jr., Chris Evans, et al. to carry them.
    I suspect that they'll do quite well.

Anyone think Captian Marvel was anywhere near as good of a movie as the first Iron Man?
    I don't. But that's more on the teams behind the scenes, not the actors.

Think Brie Larson can be the face of the franchise?
    Sure.

Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by polyhedral man View Post
    What he was probably thinking is ...

Please be aware - Those were entirely rhetorical questions. Moderation comments are not up for public debate or defense. If you have an issue with or commentary on moderation, we ask you to take it to private messages or e-mail, please and thank you.
    XP Dire Bare gave XP for this post

Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    I don’t see middle class British dentists getting upset because of a sitcom.
    There are differences, though.

The issue at hand isn't that they are "scientists". It is that they are people matching geek stereotypes. They aren't the butt of the jokes for being scientists - they are being the butt of jokes because of their stereotypical behaviors - behaviors for which geeks have traditionally already been made fun of for having.

You are taking a subculture that has been traditionally marginalized, and making fun of the things for which they were marginalized.
    XP Mournblade94 gave XP for this post

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

...um...trying to get back on topic...
    The OP touches on something that has crossed my mind recently as well. I remember back in the '80s thinking that we were unlikely to see very good fantasy or 'comic-book' films until we had a generation of people who had grown up immersed in both the world of film-making and the world of geekdom.
    There had been a run of big-screen hits that showed potential - Star Wars (1977) of course, but also Conan the Barbarian (1982), Alien (1979), even lesser films like Dragonslayer (1981) which was not a great film but had an astounding dragon. Star Wars followed with The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, but largely sat on it laurels film-wise while its universe developed in other media (books and comics - and games).

Then, some twenty years later (gosh, about a generation or so!), we get Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings series (starting in 2001) and the MCU (starting with Iron Man in 2008); Star Wars was back on the big screen in 1999 (The Phantom Menace) to decidely mixed reviews, but successful films. Thus the era of big, interconnected, preplanned stories, spinoff TV shows (on networks, cable, and/or streaming) was launched. Sure enough, film-makers who had grown up with comics and Star Wars and all those SF/F films in the 60's 70's and early 80's could now put them together effectively and consistently.

I've wondered what the next phase is, and how long it will take. "Geeky" films - superheroes, D&D-esque fantasy and so forth - are big business now, with all the good and bad that implies. Maybe it just settles into just another film/entertainment genre; maybe the popularity fades like the Western. Maybe there's some amazing new version that will erupt into pop culture in a few years. I can only hope I live long enough to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    TBBT is a sitcom. Sitcoms are generally the same, just the characters change.

There have been sitcoms featuring wartime medics, upper class toffs, pretty people in New York, and everything in between. The characters are always the butt of the joke.

This time it was scientists. The fact that geeks finding scientists in the same mainstream sitcoms as everybody else gets them upset kinda reinforces the “otherness” of them. Why shouldn’t geeks be in the same mainstream sitcoms as everybody else? I don’t see middle class British dentists getting upset because of a sitcom.
    I’ve never understood the triggering nature of TBBT with some individuals; I self-identify as a geek/nerd and have in public for close to twenty years now; my love of computing, comic books, RPGs, and pop sci-if has never been in question even when old CEOs and CFOs in business suits would poke fun at me while prattling about their weekend golf games, the RBIs of Pete Rose or A-Rod, and how the blacktop and tight turns of any particular NASCAR track was going to affect the next race. It’s only been in the past ten years or so that these goofballs have finally understood that they’re just as big of a geek as me — usually once I point out that Barry Bonds and his season statistics is just as relevant to their day to day lives as Jon Snow or my D&D character is to mine. They have only a marginally larger chance of meeting Barry Bonds face to face...

RE: Big Bang, where some have seen straw man nerd insults, I have seen good natured fun poked at a culture I’ve known all my life, and damned if I haven’t known a Sheldon or Howard or two in my years on Earth. Those who find the themes that Big Bang dealt with completely insulting or unrealistic I don’t think gave it a serious look, or are not really being honest with themselves. Themes of making your own family when your actual family is dysfunctional; finding love when all your previous experiences are defined by loveless marriages; even accepting people for what they are, even when HOW they are infuriates you (I always found the example of Barry Kripke fascinating); and never giving up on your dreams, even when the deck is stacked against you. Beyond stupid stock sitcom situations, traditional sitcom mistiming and misunderstandings, there was some real heart to the characters that kept me watching. Stupid comedy I can get anywhere, what kept me coming back (and keeps me watching Mom, Chuck Lorre’s Other CBS show I watch) is likable characters who draw me into their flaws and struggles.
    XP Dire Bare, Jacob Lewis, billd91 gave XP for this post

Magsman (Lvl 14)

FWIW, I heard that it was Netflix, not Marvel/Disney, that chose to axe all of the MCU Netflix shows.

Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Those who find the themes that Big Bang dealt with completely insulting or unrealistic I don’t think gave it a serious look, or are not really being honest with themselves.
    Henry, really? "You must be ignorant or dishonest to disagree with me"? You used to moderate people who used that approach to discussion.

Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    FWIW, I heard that it was Netflix, not Marvel/Disney, that chose to axe all of the MCU Netflix shows.
    Yes. But let us not pretend that Disney's actions (say, by launching a competing streaming service) were not a major factor.