Geekdom Takes a Bow - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Quote Originally Posted by dragoner View Post
    In what way?
    In any way, really.

I'll quote you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragoner View Post
    STEM people as a rule aren't into very geeky stuff, for example, I sometimes have a pint with propulsion engineers from Neil Armstrong hall of engineering, and only one out of the group actually likes science fiction. It's a pretty button down group overall, STEM people.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Istbor View Post
    In any way, really.

I'll quote you again.
    And I'll stand by it, as a group we aren't more geeky than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    No. I was definitely a geek, and hung around with my geek friends, but there was no bullying. I get that other people have different experiences.
    For me, quite a lot actually, until about my senior year in high school. My defense was making friends with other kids who the bullies were scared of. In particular, one dude’s homophobic slur was his favorite word to use against me and basically anyone he didn’t like. Don’t know if he ever actually used it against a gay person or not, but my liking D&D and being good at my classes were all the excuse he needed every time he threatened to beat me up.

Now, 20-odd years later I have a lot of perspective and see it for the childishness it was - in comparison, nerd-jokes and insults are pretty mild compared to people in this world with real problems.

Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    I understand that some people feel that way about the show. I don't share that feeling, though.
    To loop back, Morrus, you asked, "Why shouldn’t geeks be in the same mainstream sitcoms as everybody else?"

So, now we see some reasons. You haven't been subjected to geek-shaming, so no, you wouldn't share the feeling. Shows that lean too hard on sexist or racist tropes are understood to be problematic by folks who are not usually subject to racism or sexism. This show, which leaned on other traditionally negative tropes for its jokes... should also be understood as problematic, no? Maybe not as egregious, but still an issue.
    XP Mournblade94 gave XP for this post

Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

Quote Originally Posted by Umbran View Post
    To loop back, Morrus, you asked, "Why shouldn’t geeks be in the same mainstream sitcoms as everybody else?"

So, now we see some reasons. You haven't been subjected to geek-shaming, so no, you wouldn't share the feeling. Shows that lean too hard on sexist or racist tropes are understood to be problematic by folks who are not usually subject to racism or sexism. This show, which leaned on other traditionally negative tropes for its jokes... should also be understood as problematic, no? Maybe not as egregious, but still an issue.
    Yes, I fully understood your point.

I didn’t say ignorant, I said I didn’t think they gave it a serious look.
    So... they don't know the show. In other words, they are ignorant of the show. Or, you alternatively allow that they could be being dishonest (to themselves)

How is that *NOT* the "you must be ignorant or lying to disagree with me" argument that we generally frown upon?

I understand that it is not comfortable to be told that folks find something you like to be problematic. But that rhetorical structure? It isn't appropriate, now is it?

.... but bashing it for the sake of bashing because it’s “nerd-baiting”
    I am noting that there's good reasons for people to find the show to not be all that positive. Somehow, that's bashing, now? Seems a lot more like valid critique, to me.
    Last edited by Umbran; Thursday, 20th June, 2019 at 03:22 AM.
    XP billd91 gave XP for this post

Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Okay. So that above thing... is really, really weird.

Sorry Henry!

A "Drizzit" Type-Thing (Lvl 28)

I mean, can't we just hate on TBBT because it's ... bad?

I don't really have a dog in this fight (apologies to Michael Vick), but the little bits of TBBT I have seen aren't very good.

And I'm pretty sure that they are representative of the whole; some of my relatives LOVE this show, and based upon their general taste*, I am reasonably assured that the show must be pretty terrible.

*I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by Eirikrautha View Post
    The core films of Star Wars are taking a hiatus on the big screen, partially because Disney did such a good job killing the franchise. The most recent movies are lackluster at best, incoherent at worst, with directors like Ruin Anderson (misspelling intentional) showing they don't understand what makes a Star Wars film a Star Wars film (and it's not just the name).

MCU may have more films planned, but we'll see how they fare without stars like RD, Jr., Chris Evans, et al. to carry them. Anyone think Captian Marvel was anywhere near as good of a movie as the first Iron Man? Think Brie Larson can be the face of the franchise?

The Big Bang Theory has always been nerd blackface. It's pretty pathetic that some folks are so desperate to be recognized that they are willing to put up with mocking and derision just to be noticed.
    Oof. Never make INT the dump stat kids.
    Laugh lowkey13 laughed with this post

A "Drizzit" Type-Thing (Lvl 28)

Quote Originally Posted by cmad1977 View Post
    Oof. Never make INT the dump stat kids.
    (He was already moderated)