Geekdom Takes a Bow - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey13 View Post
    It's like that. Some things are so bad, it loops all the way around to be being awesome.
    Yes, but getting there means spending many, many hours *not* looping around. Watching bad media in the hopes of awesomeness is for the young, or the drunk.

Titan (Lvl 27)

...funky cheeses, Insane Clown Posse, the works of Piers Anthony...
    You’re undead to me.*

* I’m no zealot. Certain funky cheeses and Piers Anthony novels are not good. But to dismiss the as categories? NEVER!

Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralif Redhammer View Post
    "The Germans" is possibly the funniest television episode in existence.
    Absolutely. I posit that there is nothing on this earth as funny as The Germans.

Or the Dead Parrot sketch.

Titan (Lvl 27)

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    Absolutely. I posit that there is nothing on this earth as funny as The Germans.

As much as I love the Dead Parrot, I have to give this match to “The Germans”.

But even then, I have seen things I thought were funnier than that...for a few minutes. Few are as overall as funny as that episode, though, and 4 of them were movies.

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post

Nothing?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGFz9gt0-Fc

Titan (Lvl 27)

Quote Originally Posted by epithet View Post
    Life imitates Art. The part about “interviewer” reminds me of our dogs and “The Toaster Trot”.

For reasons we do not understand*, one of our border collies started doing laps of our kitchen- usually while rapidly gnashing a squeaky toy in her mouth- whenever someone made toast. The younger dog watched this in apparent bewilderment and awe...occasionally taking a facial sideswipe with the toy from her trotting elder.

When the innovating dog died, the younger dog took up the custom, with her own unique variations on it. And on occasion, SHE involves her younger housemate in a brief tug-o-war as part of a Toaster Trot lap.

* we did not train her to do this. We never gave them toast.**

** however, one time, the second dog WAS rewarded when a piece of buttered toast slipped off a plate.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Umbran View Post
    To loop back, Morrus, you asked, "Why shouldn’t geeks be in the same mainstream sitcoms as everybody else?"

So, now we see some reasons. You haven't been subjected to geek-shaming, so no, you wouldn't share the feeling. Shows that lean too hard on sexist or racist tropes are understood to be problematic by folks who are not usually subject to racism or sexism. This show, which leaned on other traditionally negative tropes for its jokes... should also be understood as problematic, no? Maybe not as egregious, but still an issue.
    I've been subjected to geek-shaming, and love TBBT. Hell, the characters on the show deal with bullying issues, sometime for laughs, sometimes for feels.

Don't remember which, but a previous poster in the thread suggested geek-shaming is a lesser problem than others . . . . there is no competition on which type of traumatic experience is "worse" and whatever trauma we each have endured in our lives was impactful to us, unchanged by potentially "worse" things we could have experienced. I was teased and bullied as a kid for being weird, a geek, a nerd, a dork, somebody different. And what I went through still impacts me and causes pain for me today, sometimes in ways I think I should be able to just let go, but can't. I know others have suffered worse, but that doesn't change the fact that I suffered.

Still, while I acknowledge the characters on the show as (mostly) stereotypes (and also think, "Duh, sitcom"), when I watch the show I sometimes laugh at the characters (and myself, and my fellow geeky friends) and sometimes laugh with them as they struggle through each episode. I don't see the show as geek-shaming or exploiting negative stereotypes, and I'm continually surprised (but shouldn't be) by nerds who HATE the show. I mean, I don't have a problem with folks not liking the show, but the reasons given in threads like this leave me shaking my head.

Lighten up, learn to laugh, both at others and at yourself (good-naturedly). Hell, I see the show having a positive effect, "normalizing" geeks the same way that Will & Grace normalized the LGBQT community.

I'll also push back at the poster who claimed the show is simply bad, stereotypes or not. Again, if you don't like something, fine. But another Chuck Lorre hit that has lasted nearly a decade? TBBT is not a bad show, it's a great show with a dedicated audience, just because that audience doesn't include you doesn't make the show bad. It's more than a bit arrogant to feel that the many folks who love the show are somehow deluded or have poor taste.

Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Bare View Post
    I've been subjected to geek-shaming, and love TBBT. Hell, the characters on the show deal with bullying issues, sometime for laughs, sometimes for feels.
    Nobody is saying that everyone who has experienced shaming does or should react the same way. Just that having had the experience is perhaps sufficient to have issues with TBBT.

Don't remember which, but a previous poster in the thread suggested geek-shaming is a lesser problem than others . . . . there is no competition on which type of traumatic experience is "worse" and whatever trauma we each have endured in our lives was impactful to us, unchanged by potentially "worse" things we could have experienced.
    You are right, in that it isn't a contest. But, as a cis-het-white-dude, I do not want to come anywhere near the suggestion that my geek experience is somehow of a kind with the sexism/misogyny, racism, or homophobia (and other-phobias) out there. Someone else may have been subject to pressures as bad for being a geek, but I make no such claim, and don't want to appear to be doing otherwise.

Lighten up, learn to laugh, both at others and at yourself (good-naturedly).
    Um... "lighten up" or "just get over it" are things I've been told you *never* suggest a trauma survivor do. It is dismissive.

I'll also push back at the poster who claimed the show is simply bad, stereotypes or not. Again, if you don't like something, fine. But another Chuck Lorre hit that has lasted nearly a decade? TBBT is not a bad show, it's a great show with a dedicated audience, just because that audience doesn't include you doesn't make the show bad. It's more than a bit arrogant to feel that the many folks who love the show are somehow deluded or have poor taste.
    By that logic, Jeopardy, The Price is Right and Scooby Doo (which have lasted far, far longer) are pretty much the best shows ever created, and TBBT can go sulk in the corner.

People are allowed to call things bad, even if they are popular. And call them good when they are unpopular. It is when someone starts getting mean to fans (or non-fans) for their likes that there is a problem.

Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz View Post
    * I’m no zealot. Certain funky cheeses and Piers Anthony novels are not good. But to dismiss the as categories? NEVER!
    Funk is fine in music. It isn't like I haven't tried it in cheese. I just find that funk is how food tastes when you shouldn't eat it.

As for Piers Anthony - with respect, when was the last time you read any of his work? Upon review... Xanth, Apprentice Adept, Incarnations of Immortality - all badly misogynistic crud. If the guy writes 60 books of crud, the overall categorization seems fitting. If you find a book by him that doesn't make you want to slap him on behalf of your wife/sister/friends, well... I do like blue cheese with buffalo wings. An exception doesn't invalidate the general rule.

A "Drizzit" Type-Thing (Lvl 28)

Quote Originally Posted by Umbran View Post
    Funk is fine in music. It isn't like I haven't tried it in cheese. I just find that funk is how food tastes when you shouldn't eat it.

As for Piers Anthony - with respect, when was the last time you read any of his work? Upon review... Xanth, Apprentice Adept, Incarnations of Immortality - all badly misogynistic crud. If the guy writes 60 books of crud, the overall categorization seems fitting. If you find a book by him that doesn't make you want to slap him on behalf of your wife/sister/friends, well... I do like blue cheese with buffalo wings. An exception doesn't invalidate the general rule.
    Oof. I remember liking Piers Anthony when I was younger and didn't know better. Except Xanth. Even in my youth, that was too stupid for me to read. But the first few books of Incarnations of Immortality, Apprentice Adept, even (retrospective YIKES!) Bio of Space Tyrant.

So, he is a good, concise writer*. For real. And he has some great concepts (although he does return to the whole "Science and technology, two worlds" theme a LOT). And he did the whole "personalized author's notes to readers" much earlier than most, which was kinda cool. And I try to cut writers in the past a lot of slack for being a product of their times .... BUT ...

There were things that at the time seemed not great, and now .... hella no. Just .... no. Saying it was misogynistic is, unfortunately, putting it nicely (although, alas, it's not all crud).

As for funky cheese ... you are missing out. Cheese is just like music- best when funky.

*Admittedly, he has the same stock characterizations; once you've read a few of his books, you've read them all, with minor variations in plot and theme.