Acquisitions, Inc.: First Impressions - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Oh, please. The FR still get way more attention than ANY other settting, so your grousing just comes off as petulant to those that are fans of those other settings. Secondly, there are more Realms products that AI, so your doomsday prediction doesn't hold water. Also, the Realms aren't sacrosanct. P.S. You have no room to talk about joke products until the realms gets it own version of the Castle Greyhawk module.
    But I dunno, people like Ed Greenwood and R. A. Salvatore who like Acquisitions, Inc...can they be considered Real Forgotten Realms Fans, or are they just Johnny Come Lately posers?
    Laugh Demetrios1453 laughed with this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    But I dunno, people like Ed Greenwood and R. A. Salvatore who like Acquisitions, Inc...can they be considered Real Forgotten Realms Fans, or are they just Johnny Come Lately posers?
    Most likely posers.
    Laugh Parmandur laughed with this post

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Most likely posers.
    #gatekeeping
    Laugh Azzy laughed with this post

Chaotic Looseleaf
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Quote Originally Posted by Mournblade94 View Post
    comedy =/= fun
    Spoken like someone whose handle is 'Mournblade.'

Just a little good-natured ribbing. Your point is understood, if not agreed with.
    /\/\/\/\/\
    The dungeon master is not a god. Gods are NPCs.
    ----------->
    "I think it all began when some sages started talking of the World Tree,
    and were allowed to go on doing so. Madness, sheer madness.
    Give me the Great Wheel, and I know where I stand."
    ~Lord Snelgarth, Ed Greenwood's The Herald
    \/\/\/\/\/
    XP ProfessorDetective, Mournblade94 gave XP for this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

*Owlbears, if you ignore the magical crossbreeding fluff, can actually be actually bemade non-silly.
    Just play Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Once they have ripped you to shreds a few dozen times the stop being funny at all.

Even kaiju owlbears.
    XP DMZ2112 gave XP for this post

About RPG humour, I still remember Yannara the Halfling.
    XP Azzy gave XP for this post

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    I haven't called anyone that likes it a poser fan or anything of the sort. Nor am I railing against people buying it if they want.

@Azzy

I would much rather have no development than wholesale changing of the realms like 4e did. Be careful what you wish for

I play Forgotten Realms for High Fantasy simulation. I have no desire for forgotten Realms to be the office humor campaign world. I'd take no development over that just like I didn't want them to change all the areas for 4e.

Scout (Lvl 6)

Thanks for all the great feedback. As one of the writers on the book, and as someone who has worked in the Realms on official products for more than 10 years, I took great care in ensuring that everything in the book that I wrote or edited or developed made sense in the Realms, regardless of tone. People play D&D in different ways, and none of those ways are better or worse than any other, and they all have a place in not just the Realms, but in any of the D&D settings.

As those of you who are at all familiar with the AI content knows, parts of it are silly. Parts of it are a bit slapstick. And parts of it are satire. But there are also parts of it that are grim, deeply complicated, and deadly serious. What captured my fancy with AI in its earliest incarnations was that it was much like my own home campaigns over the years - lots of joking that contrasted and illuminated the seriousness of the plot - but with AI that joking took on a unique form. The campaigns incorporated the jokes rather than brushing them off, and, in a complicated and subtle way, transcended the jokes while still putting them forward.

We worked hard to make sure the mechanics, even when placed on a humorous or satirical frame, worked well as D&D mechanics. The adventure, while it presents a structure that highlights how to use an AI franchise in your campaign, can still be run as a typical starting campaign with very little tweaking necessary.

In the world of the Realms, I have written hundreds of thousands of words. I wrote "Halls of Undermountain" and the Moonshae Isles Guide. I wrote part of the D&D Next products "Confrontation at Candlekeep" and "War of Everlasting Darkness" and "Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle." I helped administer the Living Forgotten Realms campaign, and I write extensively in the Adventurers League campaign. The same care I took with all those went into the AI book, and the rest of the team felt that burden and mandate as well.

Thanks to everyone who supported the effort. And thanks to those who took the time to read the content of the book before passing judgement on it. I can't say it's for everyone, but, of course, nothing is. If you're ever at a convention where I'm attending, please say hi, and I'd be happy to chat about it or anything else related to this great game and hobby we share.
    XP Parmandur, BMaC, Mournblade94, Psyzhran2357, Azzy and 7 others gave XP for this post

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

It's all fair enough. I recognize I sound like a grumpy old man. I'm 46 years old, so more than likely I'm reacting to this as evidence the products are being made for younger gamers and I'm aging out of WOTC target audience.

Such is life.
    XP BMaC gave XP for this post

Lama (Lvl 13)

Quote Originally Posted by Mournblade94 View Post
    It's all fair enough. I recognize I sound like a grumpy old man. I'm 46 years old, so more than likely I'm reacting to this as evidence the products are being made for younger gamers and I'm aging out of WOTC target audience.

Such is life.
    It isn't a WotC book.
    It is the first of more than a dozen Realms based 5e books that takes the heavy comedic tone.
    They still aren't forcing anyone to play this style of game. It's not part of AL.