Acquisitions, Inc.: First Impressions - Page 4
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Hard pass for me. I like my games to have a serious tone but we do make the occasional joke.
    XP gyor, flametitan, Mournblade94 gave XP for this post

Lama (Lvl 13)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramodlog View Post
    So popular there isn't a review of it on EW's review section...
    Yes, no one has reviewed it on EnW before it was available to the public.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Mine came in today, order from Penny Arcade and got the green flame pin. I enjoy the live shows they put on and still occasionally have it on while I’m painting minis or working on an adventure session. Initial look is similar to Beth’s but I don’t think of it as campy in tone.

If your hesitant but want some depth in running an adventuring business in a campaign, it’s worth it....then throw in an adventure that takes 110 pages and now even more people are getting their money’s worth.

My point is - pick it up at a store, flip through it and decide...might be pleasantly surprised and not all the art isn’t all cartoony like penny arcade art so don’t use that as an excuse.
    Last edited by EthanSental; Tuesday, 18th June, 2019 at 03:37 AM.
    XP bedir than, Psyzhran2357 gave XP for this post

The book's unlocked for me on D&DBeyond. Taking a look now.

Verdan racial stats for those interested:
    +1 Con, +2 Cha
    Reroll 1 and 2 when rolling Short Rest Hit Dice
    Persuasion Proficiency
    Advantage on Wis and Cha saving throws
    Telepathy within 30 feet, need to share a language with the target creature
    Start as Small size but become Medium size at Level 5

Warlock seems like a shoe-in for these guys. Could also be used for Conquest and Redemption Paladins focused on Cha and looking to use their Channel Divinity often.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

I still have not seen or heard enough about the crunch to see if this is worth it. I was interested for the setting up a franchise/guild thing, but GuildMaster's Guide to Ravnica has enough egs on how to do that and Strongholds & Followers too. I am not sure what this would add to all of that?

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

I got it mostly for lonely fun. I really enjoy the AI pod cast and PAX shows, even if I don't have the time for the B and C team stuff.

I expect, since I like the characters and stories, that I'll enjoy reading through the book. I don't think it will fit into my Lost Lands campaign, which while being on the gonzo size is darker than the camp of AI. But I won't know until I see it. Maybe I can bring in the franchise rules but change the names and keep out the more campy character options.

Even if I don't use it for my current campaign, I can certainly see running the included adventure as a mini campaign.
    XP Parmandur, EthanSental, SkidAce, Satyrn gave XP for this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Been reading through it on D&D Beyond, and, while definitely written in a tongue-in-cheek tone, there's actually a good amount of interesting stuff in there. I just read through the backgrounds, and Celebrity Adventurer's Scion, Failed Merchant, and Gambler could be used in pretty much any campaign with minimal editing (the other two, Plaintiff and Rival Intern, are more heavily linked to the overall Acquisitions Inc meta). I'm not sure how much I'll be using in games ((and there's still plenty more book that I haven't gotten to yet), but at the very least I'm having a good time reading it...

EDIT. And now I'm in the class section, and already in the barbarian section I've had several laugh-out-loud moments. Who'd have thought that barbarians and corporations would make such a great fit?
    Last edited by Demetrios1453; Tuesday, 18th June, 2019 at 08:49 AM.

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios1453 View Post
    Been reading through it on D&D Beyond, and, while definitely written in a tongue-in-cheek tone, there's actually a good amount of interesting stuff in there. I just read through the backgrounds, and Celebrity Adventurer's Scion, Failed Merchant, and Gambler could be used in pretty much any campaign with minimal editing (the other two, Plaintiff and Rival Intern, are more heavily linked to the overall Acquisitions Inc meta). I'm not sure how much I'll be using in games ((and there's still plenty more book that I haven't gotten to yet), but at the very least I'm having a good time reading it...

EDIT. And now I'm in the class section, and already in the barbarian section I've had several laugh-out-loud moments. Who'd have thought that barbarians and corporations would make such a great fit?
    I have to say, I wasn't all that into in this book, but my interest is beginning to be piqued...
    XP SkidAce, EthanSental gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
    I can't believe they made this glorified gag gift FR canon.
    It’s a legit gaming book, and the lore contained therein fits perfectly well in FR.

Its good stuff, if you can get past the impulse to just reject anything presented in a funny manner out of hand.
    XP Parmandur, smerwin29, EthanSental gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    Depending on one's taste, the Wizards Three can be adduced as proof that the FR is peak D&D: classic camp. And that's what I don't get about the attempt to gatekeep against AI counting as the "real" FR: Greenwood's worldbuilding was always camp-friendly, this fits in perfectly.
    And Salvatore, who is the second biggest realms influence (IMO unfortunately), writes books full of weird nonsense like dwarves berserkers who hug people to death. FR is a silly place. AqInc is funny, but it isn’t burning down the realms.

Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
    I'm fine with camp, AI goes a dozen shades beyond camp or humour like Misc, into actively damaging the emersive quality of the setting. It's not really the humour that bothers me, it's that the forms it takes make no sense in FR. How are their modern style corporations in FR, where is the legal code and international law such organizations require to function.

And I'm not gate keeping, disliking the quality of the content is not gate keeping, I'm not forbidding AI to play in FR, I just wish they put more effort into does this Quality X make any kind if sense in FR, not just is it funny.

I'd rather they'd done this with one if the other streaming groups, who might have funny stuff, but in a way that respects the setting and makes sense.

Heck I'm even fine with the Verdan, aka the Gobliniod Millenials, it's mostly the goofy corporate references and similar stuff that bugs the crap out of me, not the Verdan, not the use of humour (within reason), its all the stuff that makes no sense in FR. Now maybe the book will explain how a modern idea of a corporation works in FR.
    its a business, with an internal corporate structure. “Corporation” is just a word. There were already businesses, and setting elements based on bad jokes, in FR. “Goblinoid Millenials” makes me think you’re just being vaguely cermudgeony, though. Just relax and let yourself enjoy stuff.
    @Demetrios check out the “Conan the salaryman” twitter account
    XP Parmandur gave XP for this post