Acquisitions, Inc.: First Impressions - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

There is a huge difference between Salvatores Comic relief and parody of D&D Rules like Barbarian Style and incontinence stance. This is a hard pass.

I wish this was not in the Realms. It should have been its own thing. This is a third party publisher and should have used their own world. Hopefully this is not the flavor of Forgotten Realms to come.

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Mournblade94 View Post
    There is a huge difference between Salvatores Comic relief and parody of D&D Rules like Barbarian Style and incontinence stance. This is a hard pass.

I wish this was not in the Realms. It should have been its own thing. This is a third party publisher and should have used their own world. Hopefully this is not the flavor of Forgotten Realms to come.
    I ma familiar enough with Salvatore to say that no, this fits.

Forget going forwards, this has been the flavor of the Forgotten Realms for yeeeeeeaaaars.
    XP oknazevad gave XP for this post

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Really? We are reading very different Salvatore then.

Comic relief is not parody. A spiked Dwarven Berserker is not Barbarian Style with corporate tags. I'm not sure how you view the realms as a parody.

I apologize for my earlier phrasing.
    Last edited by Mournblade94; Tuesday, 18th June, 2019 at 04:49 PM.
    XP gyor gave XP for this post

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Really? We are reading very different Salvatore then.

Comic relief is not parody. A spiked Dwarven Berserker is not Barbarian Style with corporate tags. I have to question how well you know the realms if you think it is a parody.
    Parody, not necessarily: but AI isn't strictly parody, either, it's camp. The FR is high camp. Always was.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    Parody, not necessarily: but AI isn't strictly parody, either, it's camp. The FR is high camp. Always was.
    I would say AI is pretty much running a parody of AI. But that's not necessarily a bad thing; Toril is a big world, there is plenty of room for a Death Curse in Tomb of Annihilation while a bunch of Office-style shenanigans are happening somewhere else.

It's a lot like how in the MCU (or Marvel Comics or DC comics) you can have two plotlines, Thor Ragnarok and Civil War happening at the same time. One is a comedy the other a tragedy, neither invalidates the other.

If you don't like one style, ignore it. Or in this case, don't buy it. That does not make it inherently bad though.
    XP Azzy, EthanSental gave XP for this post

Member SILVER SUBSCRIBER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

...I wish this was not in the Realms. It should have been its own thing. This is a third party publisher and should have used their own world. Hopefully this is not the flavor of Forgotten Realms to come.
    Regardless of whether you are pro or con on this book, I suspect NOBODY really thinks this is the flavor of the FR to come.

Nothing to worry about IMO.

"My favorite part of DMing is making whatever interests the characters important. Or at least seem important." - James Wyatt

Unconquered Kingdoms, Obsidian Portal July 2016 Campaign of the Month
    XP Mournblade94, Giltonio_Santos, gyor, EthanSental gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios1453 View Post
    Been reading through it on D&D Beyond, and, while definitely written in a tongue-in-cheek tone, there's actually a good amount of interesting stuff in there. I just read through the backgrounds, and Celebrity Adventurer's Scion, Failed Merchant, and Gambler could be used in pretty much any campaign with minimal editing (the other two, Plaintiff and Rival Intern, are more heavily linked to the overall Acquisitions Inc meta).
    Echoing this. The new backgrounds are great.

Also, the new spells are an absolute riot. Gift of Gab is pretty much mandatory for my Wizards and Bards now. Spells here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/com...orporated_are/

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
    I can't believe they made this glorified gag gift FR canon.
    The is no "canon".
    XP Parmandur, oknazevad gave XP for this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by doctorbadwolf View Post
    FR is a silly place.
    Laugh Parmandur, doctorbadwolf, EthanSental, Gradine laughed with this post

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Forgotten Realms aside, there's a video up talking about the Roles the book offers and I can't help but think this material would be just as good a fit for Eberron. The Dragonmarked Houses are halfway corporate already, and the pervasive use of low level magic seems to match. You could dial it in as a workplace black comedy with a bunch of PTSD Last War vets trying to navigate the jump from military service to post-war private enterprise, build a party that's a mix of old comrades and former foes, and you've got the seed of a campaign that's topical and narratively juicy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t53xthMdvFc