Acquisitions, Inc.: First Impressions - Page 8
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

We've been telling people who have kept insisting there needed to be a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book to go back to the 3E or Grey Box era for years now.
    XP EthanSental, Parmandur, JediSoth gave XP for this post

It's been a day and a half since I first took a look inside the book. Thoughts:

They weren't kidding about needing a lot of downtime. You have to structure the pace of the whole campaign around maintaining your office and forming connections in the community. But you still need to go adventuring. Franchise fees won't pay themselves!

The book comes with a Level 1-6 adventure called The Orrery of the Wanderer, focused on the titular Artifact and its six scattered components. Each of the components are powerful magic items in their own right, but when brought together they give the Orrery's reader access to a plethora of spells related to planar travel. The adventure itself starts you off in Waterdeep, before taking you to Phandalin, Neverwinter, Luskan, and other locations along the Sword Coast. Still on Chapter 2 of the adventure, will post more when finished reading through it.

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Reading through the "Growing Your Franchise" chapter, I've realized that it would extremely easy to re-skin most of what's in there if you wanted to run a campaign where the group has a wealthy (but not indulgent) benefactor or are just starting out in some large organization or faction. Instead of AI giving you your headquarters and some minor magic items and abilities, your group might be just starting out with the Harpers (for example), assigned to a certain region by them, sent to your ramshackle bolt-hole, and given the minor magic items and abilities for each member's role in the group. While a few of the group roles might have to be slightly reflavored in scenarios like this, the headquarters section would work pretty well as-is. A lot of the downtime activities would work very well as well as missions given to you by your benefactor/organization.
    XP doctorbadwolf, Parmandur, EthanSental, Satyrn gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by flametitan View Post
    Honestly, looking at the spell section just affirmed for me it's not the kinda book I want. I hope it works well for those who do like AI or its content, though.
    Id read the other parts of the book first, tbh.

I love the C Team, but none of those spells are gonna exist in my game. AqInc itself, the franchises and their magic items and positions, the deep crow, etc, are all fine with me, as is defining a corporation as a type of chartered company in the early modern sense, and franchises in the same context, and just ignoring that they share names with more modern concepts, but those spells are just gags. Theyre the only thing Ive been disappointed by so far.

Id have really liked to see some boons similar to the special powers of the C Team, with rules for player rewarding each other with bits to power those booms.
    XP EthanSental gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by doctorbadwolf View Post
    Id read the other parts of the book first, tbh.

I love the C Team, but none of those spells are gonna exist in my game. AqInc itself, the franchises and their magic items and positions, the deep crow, etc, are all fine with me, as is defining a corporation as a type of chartered company in the early modern sense, and franchises in the same context, and just ignoring that they share names with more modern concepts, but those spells are just gags. Theyre the only thing Ive been disappointed by so far.

Id have really liked to see some boons similar to the special powers of the C Team, with rules for player rewarding each other with bits to power those booms.
    I'll just be frank: I don't like Acq Inc. and even without the spells the impression I'm getting from talk of this book isn't making it sound like I should give it a shot. I know what I like in my games, and this book isn't it.
    XP Mournblade94 gave XP for this post

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

So I read the first 46 pages last night and then tonight offered my 7th level PCs a franchise (at rank 2) without warning my players. They were already in a world-shattering mission, but the AI recruiter sold them hard. They jumped at the AI positions (I had a handout for each one they could pass around the jokes from the text had them chuckling even though none of them were familiar with AI). Their home base is going to be a tower formerly owned by a chronomancer that an AI Realator (a new position I created in the moment). There is a rival AI franchise that will try to encroach on their territory. Their majordomo is secretly working for Lolth. There are all kinds of ideas from the AI book that can be adapted.

Even though I crammed becoming a franchise into our existing campaign (we were in Ravnica and then discovered Saltmarsh and the Azure Sea in Underravnica), both the player benefits and complications immediately added a jolt of positive energy to the game. They will likely end up portaling to find Omin in Waterdeep.

And one day well likely start 1st levelers to run The Orrery of the Wanderer and possibly run into vestiges of the current campaign.
    XP doctorbadwolf, EthanSental gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by flametitan View Post
    I'll just be frank: I don't like Acq Inc. and even without the spells the impression I'm getting from talk of this book isn't making it sound like I should give it a shot. I know what I like in my games, and this book isn't it.
    Hey, you do you. Id rather read through something before making that choice, but it sounds like the spell section wasnt actually at all a make or break situation for you. If you dislike AcqInc, youre unlikely to enjoy reading a book with the same style and sense of humor.

AI isn't even the first incorporated adventuring party in the Realms, the original FR box set had Halfling Inc..
    XP Parmandur, doctorbadwolf gave XP for this post
    Laugh Matthia05718273 laughed with this post

Quote Originally Posted by DEFCON 1 View Post
    We've been telling people who have kept insisting there needed to be a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book to go back to the 3E or Grey Box era for years now.

I just pick and choose the bits I like best from the various eras, novels and computer games. They are riddled with contradictions anyway.
    XP DEFCON 1, oknazevad, Parmandur gave XP for this post

Adventuring Companies have been a fixture of the Realms for a long time, ever since the beginning. The Grey Box spends three pages talking about what they are and lists the roster and exploits of a few famous ones. AI, as far as I can tell, adds a bit of corporate humor to the mix, but it doesn't seem to add anything radically new.
    XP Parmandur, oknazevad gave XP for this post