Dragonlance Dragonlance Novels - How Many Are There?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Before you open the spoiler block below, guess how many novels have been written in the Dragonlance setting. Maybe write down a number. This number should not include modules or other works--only book-length stories.

Ready? Ok. Click on "Show" to proceed. B-)

[sblock]In the awesome and informative Dungeons & Dragons: Art & Arcana, it states that "To date, nearly two hundred novels have used the Dragonlance setting; dozens of modules and ancillary products have followed suit."

Really? Two hundred? I was shocked and may have even made a noise expressing my disbelief.
Wut_Emote_by_reddybub.gif

So I went to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragonlance_novels

I counted over two hundred--not counting modules et al.

Am I the only person who didn't know that so many books had been written in the Dragonlance setting?[/sblock]

PabloM

Adventurer
Personally, I do not recommend Dragonlance novels even though I love the setting (In fact, I'm running my current campaign there).
I think that the world of Krynn works well as a stage to play in it but, although I respect the work of Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman as authors, the novels do not offer anything interesting and do not seem very well written to me.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=31304]TarionzCousin[/MENTION]: I would not have guessed that many! But then I stopped reading D&D novels sometime in the late 90s, I think. I've read most, if not all, of the older Dragonlance novels but none of the newer ones.

[MENTION=6798942]PabloM[/MENTION]: Interesting perspective. I have long held the opposite belief: that Krynn is a great world for novels but not that great to play in (partly because it feels too small).

GreyLord

Legend
I own many Dragonlance novels. I obviously love them, unfortunately many of them are hit and miss...though the best ones normally are written either by Weiss and Hickman, or Knaak, or Williams.

Hate the Dawning of the 5th age books, they were horribly written, or at least not anything close to my tastes on what I enjoy to read.. This follows that some of the books are great, and some are very hard to get through.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Love the novels, have shelves of them somewhere. The setting has a long history and novels written across all time periods. Plenty of good ones there. I also think it is a great setting to play in with great ideas in magic and knightly orders.

ccs

41st lv DM
I would not have guessed that many. Certainly dozens & dozens. I'd have said 50some. Wich would still be a lot of crappy novels....

I read the first 6. Then probably another 6 or so after that, each one worse than the last until I just said "Eh." & moved on, not paying them any attention (other than knowing vaguely they'd written trilogies in a couple of future ages....).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases