Dragonlance Dragonlance Novels - How Many Are There?

tglassy

Adventurer
I read a number of them. I enjoyed the first trilogy, and the Twins trilogy. After that, they sort of fell in quality, but were still good books. Once all the original characters were gone, though, I sort of lost a lot of interest.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I read so many dragonlance books as a kid. I even re-read a Chronicles and Legends as an adult. Chronicles felt pretty juvenile thought it is YA Fantasy so there. Legends was a bit more grown up.

I enjoyed the random side book here or there. Some are just trash though.

Even with Weis and Hickman I prefer the Deathgate Cycle.

Gadget

Adventurer
I really enjoyed the original novels as a teen, and more the setting they unveiled. I admit that the first trilogy was not well written, Weis & Hickman reached their apex with the second "twins" trilogy. After that, it was very hit or miss. It is one of those settings that really did not do well with every author and their mother writing in it, as it is less 'Kitchen Sink' than other setting and therefore has less maneuvering room.

Sacrosanct

Legend
My answer was "too many".

Appears I was right ;). I think they should have stopped after the first 6 or so, although some of the others were OK, like Legend of Huma. But most of them were just done to death, repeating the same plots with just different names. Like they were mass produced instead of an individual novel.

Even with Weis and Hickman I prefer the Deathgate Cycle.

Which ALSO has Fizban in them ;)

But yeah, those were pretty decent.

pukunui

Legend
I still enjoy rereading the Chronicles trilogy every so often. I have found, though, that the prose can be very clunky and is not conducive to reading out loud the way, say, Pratchett’s Discworld novels are.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I was surprised there weren't more. I used to collect the series way back when we had a group playing in the setting. I think I have almost 170 of the books, without counting duplicates or variant editions (like the Annotated Legends, which might be my single favourite book of the bunch). Most of what I'm missing are the young reader books, which I'm not up to date on.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases