How many 1st level Fighers can an 11th Level Fighter Kill?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The big stuff:

1) 20 con, so more hp, on top of more hp!
2) Slightly higher crit modifier
3) +2 more attack, and one extra attack every round.
4) The big one....heals 10 damage every round once at half. That is by far the biggest factor I'm sure. I would also assume that he saves his second wind until much later to milk this advantage.
5) One more action surge.

See, I knew I would forget something: #4 LOL! The extra action surge wasn't a big deal at all, but #4 was huge!

Average kills: 44.49 (sd 14.54)

OB1

Jedi Master
Melee or ranged? And wouldn't any group of mooks just grapple the wizard? Who would be dumb enough to let him get off more than one fireball etc?

Let’s say melee, with each line of reinforcements 30’ further away. Assume wizard has no teleportation spells prepared.

To keep it simple, no grappling or restraining allowed by the guards.

With spellcasting, too many possibilities?
Fly... even vs. ranged weapons it will be hard.

What about the eldritch knight with thunderclap?

I support the notion of grappling and shoving would be successful tactics.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yep. Mike stated his intent, in the playtest, that Fighters & Wizards would do it differently, but they'd be able to take on armies at the highest levels.
Is it cheating to say in 4e the 11th level fighter could handle a level 13 or 14 swarm containing 100 typical guard class soldiers but that it would play more interestingly? Than the drudge work?

Hey numbers and percentages may be off slightly, but in the end...

It informs me that a squad (10-13) of guards could be a viable threat.

Good info.
Sure a squad of 10 to 13 guards are a threat if they are mindless mooks. Guards threaten hero. Hero threatens back. Guards demand surrender, hero charges and kills up to three based on rolls and action surge. Numerically and with reinforcements the hero will lose, EXCEPT guards paid 5 silver a week realize they don't get paid enough and break moral then flee.

So while the math works the logic fails unless you DM video game style where every for fights to the death.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Is it cheating to say in 4e the 11th level fighter could handle a level 13 or 14 swarm containing 100 typical guard class soldiers but that it would play more interestingly? Than the drudge work?

3e had swarms (and hordes? for size M participants, I think it was), and so does 5e, so I see no objection to the observation.

Aenorgreen

First Post
Sure a squad of 10 to 13 guards are a threat if they are mindless mooks. Guards threaten hero. Hero threatens back. Guards demand surrender, hero charges and kills up to three based on rolls and action surge. Numerically and with reinforcements the hero will lose, EXCEPT guards paid 5 silver a week realize they don't get paid enough and break moral then flee.

So while the math works the logic fails unless you DM video game style where every for fights to the death.

Or they think about how this punk just killed Jeb, Bob, and Sven who they have known for years and were friends with. They decide this scum needs to pay and all rush him?
Have you seen how police or military folks react when someone attacks one of their own? Rarely is it to run away. It could be considered just as video game style to play the guards your way.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases