How many 1st level Fighers can an 11th Level Fighter Kill?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Ok, now try this at a real table.

One guy plays the 11th lv ftr. Everyone else plays the 8 1st lv fighters surrounding him.
No terrain, no ranged attacks.

Some questions though:
1) How far away do the replacement rookies start?
Do they re-spawn in place?
Do they have to move in?
Do they have to run in?

2) What's the dimensions of the fight area?

3) What type of initiative system is being used?

I'll bet in a real "game" your vet doesn't make it to 10 kills.
Well, sure, you said there's only 8 of them.

Tony Vargas

Legend
What if the 11th level fighter chose Archery as his second style, and the grunts have to close from a fair distance?

Or the Champion is facing a firing line of archers ...
...or Both.

Heh, what about the equivalent exercise for wizards? An 11th level wiz facing off against a graduating class of 1st level wizards - only spell allowed is Magic Missile...

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
What if the 1st-levels dogpile (grapple + shove + keep grappling so he can't stand up)?

The rules are unclear on whether a single Escape Action is capable of freeing you from multiple grapplers, but for the sake of argument let's say it is. Maybe half the grunts focus on grappling -- with 4 checks (proficient with Athletics gets them +5 each) that's reasonably likely to overwhelm the big guy (proficient with Athletics is +9 bonus) -- my math says that each round the big guy has a 20% chance of winning against all 4 grunts. And if he only wins against 2 grunts, then he can be grappled and prone. On those rounds, the grunts have advantage on attacks against him; so the grunts have given up half their attacks in exchange for advantage on the other half, which is not horrible. But more important, the big guy has disadvantage on attacks against the grunts, which could be quite a substantial benefit to them.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, from the 100,000 simulations I ran, the average kills before the "Champion" falls was 7.90 with a standard deviation of 2.84 kills. A maximum of 22 kills (9 times) and 26 times with no kills at all.

I don't know how you handled initiative, but I gave the Champion a +1 modifier and the 1st-level fighters no modifier, with the Champion also going first in the case of ties. I also gave the Champion the 103 hp average and randomly added the second wind if hp dropped below 82 (since his max boost would add 21, returning him to full). The action surge was added the first round. Like you, replacements moved in when kills happened so the Champion was always attacked 8 times per round.

The chart shows the observed number of times X kills occurred. Your calculated estimated kills of 10 is high a bit IMO and I hope this helps. If you want the excel spreadsheet with the macro, just let me know.

killchart.png

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
What if the 1st-levels dogpile (grapple + shove + keep grappling so he can't stand up)?

Yeah, I thought about this as well and it is a much more realistic approach to the fight. The champion wouldn't last long IMO when gang-tackled. He would quickly be restrained in all likelihood and suffer from advantage on attacks against him, being knocked prone, advantage against him then, etc. Many conditions could alter the outcome of the fight, and it wouldn't be in favor of the champion.

If I feel ambitious, maybe I'll code it and run the sims this week.

Draegn

Explorer
In my game it would only take a single first level fighter to take down any level you might possibly imagine. I use critical hit charts and appropriate weapon skills.

Is using the terms AC, HP, EXP... enough to say you're playing d&d? Or do house rules and home brew content negate that?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Hey numbers and percentages may be off slightly, but in the end...

It informs me that a squad (10-13) of guards could be a viable threat.

Good info.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases