How many 1st level Fighers can an 11th Level Fighter Kill?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
To see how they would fair against an assumed group of soldiers or guards, use the actual “guard” stat block in the game (since actual fighters are more powerful) maybe giving one of them max hp as the leader. To shake it up more, throw in a veteran as a leader.

YES the number of fighters is not even interesting to me

OB1

Jedi Master
Great stuff here. Would absolutely love to see the simulation using an 11th level wizard at the center.
Also curious as to how a 20th level fighter fares. I’m guessing they could handle at least 30 on average.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Melee or ranged? And wouldn't any group of mooks just grapple the wizard? Who would be dumb enough to let him get off more than one fireball etc?
Grabbing just keeps you from running away in 5e, they'd have to immobilize both his hands if the spell had S components, or gag him to stop V components, but those aren't things the Grappled condition covers.
There's no OA for casting in melee and no reduction in effectiveness unless the spell attacks AC.

5e doesn't evoke the classic game in /all/ instances. ;(

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Since the topic seems popular, I wanted to do more scenarios, such as wizards vs wizards. It’s a a greater challenge to assess for sure.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Since the topic seems popular, I wanted to do more scenarios, such as wizards vs wizards. It’s a a greater challenge to assess for sure.
To start with, try the visiting alumni vs the graduating class, but, for the sake of simplicity - almost as simple as the mob of fighters vs the champion - limit everyone to just casting Magic Missile. See how that goes.

...then add shield...

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
True, although in the Paladin's case he's got Aura of Protection CHA bonus to the CON save to partially make up for that.

Excellent point! I had forgotten about that.

To start with, try the visiting alumni vs the graduating class, but, for the sake of simplicity - almost as simple as the mob of fighters vs the champion - limit everyone to just casting Magic Missile. See how that goes.

...then add shield...

I did a 1st-level Fighter vs a 1st-level Wizard before. If I recall correctly, the Wizard has the edge. I will look around to see if I can find the file... it was months ago.

As far as other scenarios go, I can do most of them if we keep the parameters at least slightly simple. If you have a request, let me know and I'll get to them when I can. :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Great stuff here. Would absolutely love to see the simulation using an 11th level wizard at the center.
Also curious as to how a 20th level fighter fares. I’m guessing they could handle at least 30 on average.

I did this quickly, so I am not sure I got all the improvements from 11th to 20th, but if I did the average is roughly 24.78 with SD of about 5.44 for 100,000 simulations (this is without flanking).

Stalker0

Legend
I did this quickly, so I am not sure I got all the improvements from 11th to 20th, but if I did the average is roughly 24.78 with SD of about 5.44 for 100,000 simulations (this is without flanking).

The big stuff:

1) 20 con, so more hp, on top of more hp!
2) Slightly higher crit modifier
3) +2 more attack, and one extra attack every round.
4) The big one....heals 10 damage every round once at half. That is by far the biggest factor I'm sure. I would also assume that he saves his second wind until much later to milk this advantage.
5) One more action surge.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases