How many 1st level Fighers can an 11th Level Fighter Kill?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yes, the mob rules are a decent way of making a group of standard 1 HD creatures an encounter that a mid-level 3E party will pay some notice too. Under RAW a couple of score goblins would have trouble even scratching many 8th-10th level characters.

I prefer the Dungeon #113 version were mobs can have different Hit Dice. The DMG2 one were all mobs have 30 HD doesn't seem right.

Sounds too inflexible 4e has examples but I would have like to have seen more. I think the idea actually needs more development.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I also like that the Dungeon version gave the mobs a Strength boost from the base creatures and added a Str-based damage bonus to the "mob attack".

In 4e the Swarm is coordinating with one another and have attributes appropriately boosted so as to be a challenge for their effective combined level but that probably isn't good enough for non-combat arenas maybe for instance you will want more detail like an additional bonus on skilled actions that allow multiple characters to work on them such as using strength to lift something big with lots of room to grip. Similarly actions not appropriate to be done by groups like a skill check or even a deception should be penalized. But perhaps just as well you might improvise such modifiers by setting the DCs.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases