Missing Battle Master Manuevers

MarkB

Legend
As borrowing from other classes isn't an issue, I'd look at importing some of the Arcane Archer's features. I was going to play an Arcane Archer in a recent campaign and wound up just going Battlemaster because it worked better, even for a pure ranged build, but there were still a few things in the AA's toolset I'd have liked to try.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, I know, I prefaced that with "less cynically," sorry.
failed that one.
I could imagine scrapping the existing martial classes, and coming up with something more manuever-based, less tanky/DPR-grinding, with more potential ...
...But it'd have to be more over-the-top than anything 4e attempted to exist alongside 5e neo-Vancian casters...
...and it's probably mean retooling the combat sub-systems, too.
4e was a bit conservative perhaps. Even some a cool move like "Come and get it" was such a short range that its pretty realistic.

OK how about that for a challenge... do Come and Get it in 5e.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That why I asked you not to post in my threads.

[MENTION=6795602]FrogReaver[/MENTION], let us be clear: EN World does not have a strong concept of thread ownership. It isn't really *your* thread. You don't get editorial power. You don't get to say who posts in it, or what they say.
[MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION], that said, you could do to learn to limit how much you lay a wet blanket on other people's ideas. You made a suggestion for a change in direction. That suggestion was rejected. You should probably just move on, rather than argue over it.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I've done a revamp of the Maneuver system myself... adding in new ones and making slight alterations to other ones. I've also taken some abilities from other classes to incorporate into my list, the reason being I was setting up the rules for a Core Four E6 campaign and thus didn't mind duplication since the classes that were being stolen from weren't going to be used anyway. And then as part of the Core Four campaign, I created new Fighter subclasses that were all set up as BMs with specific selections based upon their fighting style and duty (while removing the Champion, EK, and the "any selection goes" Battle Master.) I figure if Rogues have Thieves, Assassins, Scouts, Swashbucklers and other flavorful subclasses... the Fighters should have the same thing.

The 20 Maneuvers I established:

-Aim- When you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can use your bonus action and expend one superiority die to take careful aim and make it easier to hit. Roll the superiority die and add it to your attack roll. You can use this maneuver after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.

-Charge- When you take the Dash action and end your movement adjacent to a creature, you can expend one superiority die to attack that enemy. Make a single melee weapon attack against that opponent and add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll if you hit.

-Cleave- When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to damage another creature with the same attack. Choose another creature within 5 feet of the original target and within your reach. If the original attack roll would also hit the second creature, both creatures take damage equal to the number you roll on your superiority die.

-Direct- When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can forgo one of your attacks to direct one of your companions to strike. Use a bonus action and expend one superiority die to choose a friendly creature which can see or hear you. That creature can immediately use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll.

-Disarm- When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it’s holding. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object lands at its feet.

-Distract- When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to distract the creature, giving your allies an opening. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll and the next attack roll against the target by an attacker other than you has advantage if the attack is made before the start of your next turn.

-Evade- When you move, you can expend one superiority die to make it more difficult for other creatures to hit you. Roll the superiority die and add the number rolled to your AC until the start of your next turn.

-Feint- When you make a melee weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die and use a bonus action on your turn to feint, throwing your target off-balance and making it easier to hit it. You have advantage on your next attack roll against that creature. If that attack hits, add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll.

-Goad- When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to goad the target into attacking you. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target has disadvantage on all attack rolls against targets other than you until the end of your next turn.

-Hook- When you succeed with a grapple check against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to restrain the target. You add the superiority die as bonus damage to the grapple, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you restrain the target.

-Inspire- You can expend one superiority die and use a bonus action to inspire an ally. Choose one creature within 60 feet of you who can hear you. Once before your next short rest, the creature can roll the superiority die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes.

-Lunge- When you make a melee weapon attack on your turn, you can expend one superiority die to lunge forward, widening your opening for the attack but leaving you open for easier attacks in return. You increase your reach for your attack by 5 feet and gain advantage on the attack roll, and if you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll. However, all attacks made against you until the start of your next turn also have advantage.

-Maneuver- When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to maneuver one of your comrades into a more advantageous position. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and you choose a friendly creature which can see or hear you. That creature can use its reaction to move up to its speed without provoking opportunity attacks from the target of your attack.

-Menace- When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to frighten the target. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it is frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

-Parry- When another creature damages you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to parry part of the attack to cause less damage. Reduce the damage by the number you roll on your superiority die + your Dexterity modifier.

-Push- When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to drive the target back. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, you shove it back 5 feet. The target must also make a Strength saving throw, rolling with Disadvantage if you are proficient in Athletics. On a failed save you can choose to shove the target back up to a total of 15 feet.

-Rally- On your turn, you can use a bonus action and expend one superiority die to bolster the resolve of one of your companions. When you do so, choose a friendly creature which can see or hear you. That creature gains temporary hit points equal to the superiority die roll + your Intelligence or Charisma modifier (whichever is higher).

-Riposte- When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can expend one superiority die to make an immediate counterattack. Use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the creature and if you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

-Tag- When a creature makes a melee weapon attack against you, you can use your reaction to expend one superiority die and confuse him with some derring-do. Roll the superiority die and subtract it from the creature's attack roll. You can use this maneuver after the creature makes their attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.

-Trip- When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to knock the target down. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw, rolling with Disadvantage if you are proficient in Athletics. On a failed save, you knock the target prone.

And then the Fighter subclasses which have the maneuvers include the following. The Basic maneuvers are the ones the subclass gets at 3rd level, and the Advanced maneuvers are the ones that can be selected at later levels.

[Banneret] The inspiring tactician and leader from the rear.
Basic: Inspire, Rally, Direct; Advanced: Maneuver, Evade, Distract

[Brawler] The bare-knuckled unarmed combatant.
Basic: Hook, Push, Trip; Advanced: Charge, Riposte, Lunge

[Brute] The large and robust athlete and thug.
Basic: Charge, Lunge, Menace; Advanced: Hook, Push, Rally

[Dervish] The strong dual-wielding whirlwind dynamo.
Basic: Charge, Tag, Distract; Advanced: Aim, Evade, Cleave

[Fencer] The dexterous duel wielder of rapier and parrying-dagger.
Basic: Disarm, Parry, Maneuver; Advanced: Tag, Feint, Inspire

[Myrmidon] The quintessential martial swordsman.
Basic: Riposte, Feint, Inspire; Advanced: Direct, Tag, Parry

[Sharpshooter]: The master archer and ranged combatant.
Basic: Aim, Evade, Disarm; Advanced: Rally, Direct, Goad

[Slayer] The two-handed weapon 'kill 'em all!' warrior.
Basic: Menace, Cleave, Trip; Advanced: Goad, Push, Hook

[Vanguard] The heavily armored defensive tank.
Basic: Goad, Cleave, Maneuver; Advanced: Lunge, Push, Disarm

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
How are you guys even quoting each other?
On Android you can access the site thru an app. Probably a skinned version of the general Tapatalk app, but what do I know. I prefer it to the mobile skin when I'm on my phone, like now.

One feature not supported by the app, however, is the site's current implementation of blocking/ignore. It's as if nobody blocked nobody.

This is why you can still get good-faith replies even from people you have blocked - you would never even realize somebody had you blocked if all you use to access the site is through this app.

PS. Apparently there's a platform shift in the works. Hopefully a lot of things will be fixed then, including the very odd way being on someone's ignore list currently blocks you out completely from threads started by that person (as opposed to just hiding the posts, as it works everywhere else).

Obviously the bug we were talking about would go away too, since I'm guessing we would need a new app for a new forum software.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
How are you guys even quoting eachother?

You don’t see a “Reply with quote” button?

Edit: I see- you mean how quoting is interacting with blocking. Apparently, the app doesn’t support blocking. That, FWIW, is not related to the platform shift.

If, OTOH, you’re just using the website and you can still see each other despite blocking, that could be a problem that needs reporting in the bug thread in Meta.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
failed that one.
Its a daily struggle...
4e was a bit conservative perhaps. Even some a cool move like "Come and get it" was such a short range that its pretty realistic.
In a way, yeah, I suppose so.
In seeking balance, 4e had to push the envelope of D&D sensibilities on the martial side, but still barely covered what they might do in an 'action movie' kind of reality that'd've still balked at actual magic - like 300, where the Spartans were doing some crazy stuff, and the sorcerers were throwing grenades, which both strained credulity (gunpowder in the ancient world?).

Within 5e's design /space/ or it's design philosophy?
Because there's lots of space...

Improvised Technique: During a short or long rest, the Battlemaster can choose to lock away a superiority die. When he does this, he temporarily gains the use of any other valid maneuver but cannot use the locked die. Unlike maneuvers learned normally, any superiority dice spent on this new maneuver effectively only count as d6s, regardless of what the Battlemaster's superiority dice otherwise would be. While taking a short or long rest, the Battlemaster may also unlock the superiority die, losing use of the maneuver but regaining use of the die; or keep a die locked but change which maneuver may be used.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
failed that one.

I think if I was going to make Come and Get it into a battlemaster manoeuvre that I would use the idea of spending more than a single superiority die mentioned earlier in this thread since the effects of the power is considerably more powerful than the manoeuvres in the book, it's essentially a multi-target version combining the effects of goading attack, pushing attack (or in this case, pull), and sweeping attack. At the very least, that seems like it would require spending 3 dice to end up with something like:

Come and Get it!
Expend 3 superiority dice. Each hostile creature within 15 feet must make a Wisdom saving throw or move 10 feet towards you, they have disadvantage to attack anyone other than you until the end of your next turn. Make melee weapon attack. Any targets that are adjacent to you, that your attack succeeds on hitting, take damage equal to the result of the 3 expended superiority dice.

Wording could perhaps be more refined, and it does chew through the dice, but this effectively combines the 3 manoeuvres into something resembling Come and Get it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases