D&D 5E Campaign PDF Speculation

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For a bit more of speculation: WoTC has seemed to drop some occasional hints about Dragonlance in the past year, and Weiss was even in their offices not too long ago for...something.

We don't know much about the current Paramont D&D movie, but "Dragonlance" isn't terribly improbable. They were also recently talkign about alternative Class features, particularly for Rangers but also for other Classes.

Now, Dragonlance is generic-ish Epic Fantasy, with a few twists. They could use a Dragonlance product to ground some Class variants, and release another popular setting to the Guild. Heck, the original adventure modules would make a likely candidate for a GoS style compilation...

Urriak

Explorer
For a bit more of speculation: WoTC has seemed to drop some occasional hints about Dragonlance in the past year, and Weiss was even in their offices not too long ago for...something.

We don't know much about the current Paramont D&D movie, but "Dragonlance" isn't terribly improbable. They were also recently talkign about alternative Class features, particularly for Rangers but also for other Classes.

Now, Dragonlance is generic-ish Epic Fantasy, with a few twists. They could use a Dragonlance product to ground some Class variants, and release another popular setting to the Guild. Heck, the original adventure modules would make a likely candidate for a GoS style compilation...

Whatever the Paramount film is about (and I doubt it would be Dragonlance) there will certainly be WotC products tying into whatever it is. They'd be foolish not to (and have done so with Baldur's Gate 3 and the Descent), and it's common practice now for things like comic books to find any excuse to tie-in to a releasing movie.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
We're coming up on the one-year anniversary of Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron being stealth dropped on the DM's Guild and I'm curious if WotC will do something similar this year. Last year, it was announced along with Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica and dropped that same day. The GGtR was leaked the day before, and while the WGE itself wasn't leaked, Eberron coming to the DM's Guild did.

How likely is it that another campaign setting PDF will be released this summer? Which setting do you think is ready for the PDF treatment?

I'm of the mindset that WotC will be doing this going forward with old settings. Release a PDF to test out any new mechanics, open it up on the Guild, and release a hardcover or boxed set the following year.

As far as what setting they'll release, Dark Sun is towards the top of my wishlist. It's got more than a few mechanics that need testing, and WotC isn't shy about releasing a necessary class later on. It's certainly a possibility, how probable is a different story entirely.

You know, something occured to me reading these responses.

What if the next stealth setting will be Nentir Vale?

If I recall correctly, Mike Mearls actually wrote a bunch for it, and I could see them putting it somewhere in Forgotten Realms, with little tidbits on adapting it to other areas.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Whatever the Paramount film is about (and I doubt it would be Dragonlance) there will certainly be WotC products tying into whatever it is. They'd be foolish not to (and have done so with Baldur's Gate 3 and the Descent), and it's common practice now for things like comic books to find any excuse to tie-in to a releasing movie.

Based on what we know of the WB movie that never happened, I think Xanathar's Guide, Tales from the Yawning Portal and the Waterdeep adventures were meant to tie in.

Urriak

Explorer
You know, something occured to me reading these responses.

What if the next stealth setting will be Nentir Vale?

If I recall correctly, Mike Mearls actually wrote a bunch for it, and I could see them putting it somewhere in Forgotten Realms, with little tidbits on adapting it to other areas.

Yeah I'll eat a shoe if that ever gets an official book. It was the official setting for 4e, but it's really just a hodgepoge of different settings merged together to create a semi-official sandbox for people.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases