D&D 5E Why the Druid Metal Restriction is Poorly Implemented

Sacrosanct

Legend
1. A rule without justification is a toothless rule.
2. A rule without justification is a stupid rule.
3. A rule that exists only to reinforce tradition and status quo without justification is a malign rule.
4. Please parse the grammatical differences between "will not" and "can not" and "should not".

There is justification. You just don’t like it. Which is fine; it’s your prerogative at your table. But please don’t confuse “the justification doesn’t meet standard in MY eyes” with “there is no justification at all.”

Positions like that always remind me of Asimov’s quote, paraphrased as such: “the problem in society is that people want their opinions to hold as much weight as facts.”

Oofta

Legend
2. Wearing metal causes Druids to spontaneously combust. Little known fact- 95% of all spontaneous combustion cases are caused by Druids trying to wear metal armor (the other 5% are a result of gnomes wielding rapiers).

Even lesser known fact, 10% of spontaneous combustion cases are caused by lowkey13 being forced to play a paladin. Yeah, that's right it adds up to more than 100. Just because percentages will not exceed 100, doesn't mean that they can't! :rant:

So I'm a vegetarian as long as I'm not eating meat? So I've been a vegetarian since last night's supper because I ate oatmeal for breakfast? Good to know.

So let me clarify: vegetarians will not eat meat.

Oh wait, that's not much of a clarification is it? I guess I'll just stick with my original point. Druids will not wear metal armor. Therefore a PC that wears metal armor is not a druid.

You are a vegetarian if you choose not to eat meat. Sometimes vegetarians lapse and eat meat because they are not sufficiently strong willed to resist it. They feel guilty and try not to eat meat next time.

It's the same with celibate priests. Sometimes a celibate priest will have sex. They do not stop being a priest. Sometimes they will repent and seek forgiveness, perhaps doing some kind of penance. Sometimes they will cover it up and try to pretend it didn't happen, with or without the connivance of church authorities.

Now the 5e rules do not have any penalties for druids who wear metal armour. You might prefer to call them a lapsed-druid or a fallen-druid, but that is just a name, so far as the rules are concerned it has no effect on their abilities. Now you are completely entitled to rule that in your setting druids who wear metal armour lose their abilities - making special rules for you own setting is also completely within the rules.

My cat is an obligate carnivore. Sometimes my cat eats cheese. It does not stop being a cat.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Is this going to be one of those threads where we come back in two weeks time and see that it has over 1000 posts, and you can't help but think "THAT?!? That's the subject matter that warranted a thousand responses? Doesn't anybody have anything better to do with their time?!?" ;)

Psyzhran2357

First Post
Is this going to be one of those threads where we come back in two weeks time and see that it has over 1000 posts, and you can't help but think "THAT?!? That's the subject matter that warranted a thousand responses? Doesn't anybody have anything better to do with their time?!?" ;)

No, we don't have anything better to do with our time.

Psyzhran2357

First Post
There is justification. You just don’t like it. Which is fine; it’s your prerogative at your table. But please don’t confuse “the justification doesn’t meet standard in MY eyes” with “there is no justification at all.”

Positions like that always remind me of Asimov’s quote, paraphrased as such: “the problem in society is that people want their opinions to hold as much weight as facts.”

What IS the justification then? Because looking through the PHB I can't find it.

Oofta

Legend
You are a vegetarian if you choose not to eat meat. Sometimes vegetarians lapse and eat meat because they are not sufficiently strong willed to resist it. They feel guilty and try not to eat meat next time.

It's the same with celibate priests. Sometimes a celibate priest will have sex. They do not stop being a priest. Sometimes they will repent and seek forgiveness, perhaps doing some kind of penance. Sometimes they will cover it up and try to pretend it didn't happen, with or without the connivance of church authorities.

Now the 5e rules do not have any penalties for druids who wear metal armour. You might prefer to call them a lapsed-druid or a fallen-druid, but that is just a name, so far as the rules are concerned it has no effect on their abilities. Now you are completely entitled to rule that in your setting druids who wear metal armour lose their abilities - making special rules for you own setting is also completely within the rules.

My cat is an obligate carnivore. Sometimes my cat eats cheese. It does not stop being a cat.

This is the thread that never ends ...

Well, you know how the rest of it goes. Good gaming.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases