D&D 5E Why the Druid Metal Restriction is Poorly Implemented

Applying a rule that says a Druid can't wear metal armor after the official statement of the developers is that they can would be nothing more than DM fiat, which their advice does say the DM is free to do, but that's just a reminder as it's literally true of everything in the game.

Don't wanna get too deep into this mire of arguments, but your post strikes me as very persuasive. I started out on the "druids can't wear it, sorry" school of thought, but now... yeah, I agree with your take on the rules.

But I would argue that even if you're right on the rules, trying to be a plate wearing druid is going to cause disharmony at many tables simply because most people will (and do) read the rules differently. Is it worth fighting on the point?

Regarding the OP, I agree completely. They should have left that sentence out.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Druids will not wear metal armor. Therefore a PC that wears metal armor is not a druid.

Says who? That PC can still shift shapes. Can still cast druid spells. Can still use the druid circle feature. And will still achieve Timeless Body when the metal wearing "non-druid" hits 18th level. Who says that PC is not a druid? Other druids? Sure, they can say that, but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Let's see-
Druid:Class Features:proficiencies:
"Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields (druids willnot wear armor or use shields made of metal)"

P. 65, PHB

Seem like a not rule to me!

Wait, let's look at the MULTICLASSING PROFICIENCIES GAINED!

Druid:
"Light armor, medium armor, shields (druidswill not wear armor or use shields made ofmetal)"

p. 164, PHB

Seems like a not rule to me! I mean ... a muticlassing not rule.

In fact, this "not rule" is also in the SRD. You know- the standard reference document for, um, not rules!

Wait, let's keep going because this is ... fun?

Sure. Let's keep going!

Page 145 of the PHB. Chain mail, scale mail, breastplate and half plate. All medium metal armors that druids have proficiency with.

Page 167 of the PHB. Heavily Armored feat. Doesn't say anywhere that druids can't take it.

There is no rule in the PHB that restricts druids from wearing metal armor. There is only the blurb in the class that makes it a choice that the class generally makes. Individuals can choose to ignore that to whatever consequences may or may not come from fellow druids who feel strongly about the issue.

You're right. You don't cease to be a druid, because per RAW, you will not put on the armor.

RAW is silent on the issue as there is no written rule about it. There is a blurb of fluff only.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What the Sage Advise does do is let the DM considering it know that the Druid is not balanced around the no metal assumption, and it own't break combat if the DM is cool with the story.

It also clarifies what is plainly written in the PHB. Specifically that there is no restriction on wearing metal armor. Rather, it's a choice that druids make based on the line of fluff in the proficiency section.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Heavy Armour Clerics and Medium Armour Bards have been in the game for a while now so you're kind of late to the party there.

But while Moon Druids can use their animal forms for combat, and the other Druid Circles can stay in the backline, Druids of the Circle of Spores, more than anybody else, need that extra AC. Their subclass features all but outright state that they're meant to be kn the front lines like a War Cleric or a Swords Bard or a Bladesinger Wizard, but the only things they get to increase their survivability are 4 temp HP per level and critical hit immunity at Level 14. The Temp HP I guess gets better when you have more of I, but at lower levels, assuming a standard array or point buy build, they're only gonna have 14 Ac with studded leather, 16 with sl and a shield. They're gonna get chewed up pretty quick if they brawl on the front, but they can't use their Halo of Spores or their Fungal Infestation if they aren't on the front, which is where a lot of their combat power comes from. They need the Medium Armour.

This is because Druids are not front-line-fighters, unless wildshaped.

generic

So, you don't allow clerics in your game? Even those that don't get heavy armour proficiency by default are probably packing an AC of 19, and that is before they start casting Shield of Faith on themselves.

And it's not that hard to get an AC over 16 on a wizard, sorcerer or bard without magic items. And in my experience it makes little difference. AC only matters if attacks come your way.

This is not what I am saying. [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]да, this is true​, but it should not be so. I allow clerics, but I certainly don't think they are correctly balanced.[/COLOR]

Psyzhran2357

First Post
This is because Druids are not front-line-fighters, unless wildshaped.
I'm talking Spores Druids specifically here.

Halo of Spores

Starting at 2nd level, you are surrounded by invisible, necrotic spores that are harmless until you unleash them on a creature nearby. When a creature you can see moves into a space within 10 feet of you or starts its turn there, you can use your reaction to deal 1d4 necrotic damage to that creature unless it succeeds on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC. The necrotic damage increases to 1d6 at 6th level, 1d8 at 10th level, and 1d10 at 14th level.

Symbiotic Entity

At 2nd level, you gain the ability to channel magic into your spores. As an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to awaken those spores, rather than transforming into a beast form, and you gain 4 temporary hit points for each level you have in this class. While this feature is active, you gain the following benefits:

When you deal your Halo of Spores damage, roll the damage die a second time and add it to the total. Your melee weapon attacks deal an extra 1d6 poison damage to any target they hit.

These benefits last for 10 minutes, until you lose all these temporary hit points, or until you use your Wild Shape again.

Fungal Infestation

At 6th level, your spores gain the ability to infest a corpse and animate it. If a beast or a humanoid that is Small or Medium dies within 10 feet of you, you can use your reaction to animate it, causing it to stand up immediately with 1 hit point. The creature uses the zombie stat block in the Monster Manual. It remains animate for 1 hour, after which time it collapses and dies.

In combat, the zombie’s turn comes immediately after yours. It obeys your mental commands, and the only action it can take is the Attack action, making one melee attack.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once), and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

16-167146_thinkpocalypse-emojis-show-more-thinking-emoji-meme.png

Ohmyn

First Post
Don't wanna get too deep into this mire of arguments, but your post strikes me as very persuasive. I started out on the "druids can't wear it, sorry" school of thought, but now... yeah, I agree with your take on the rules.
Glad to hear it. Hearing that makes me feel slightly less like I'm wasting my time.

But I would argue that even if you're right on the rules, trying to be a plate wearing druid is going to cause disharmony at many tables simply because most people will (and do) read the rules differently. Is it worth fighting on the point?

Argue rules at a table? Definitely not. Argue rules online? Most definitely.

You should never "fight" over rules at a table, because DM gets final say regardless; however, players should not be afraid to discuss rule concerns at their table. Sure, maybe many people will read the rules differently, but that's why it should be brought up before play. It should be totally acceptable for a player to bring up an official rule as written, explain their interpretation of it, allow any other players to provide additional feedback, and then allow the DM to pass judgement. Druids especially require a lot of this, from knowing ahead of time how the DM handles blindness and heavy obscurity in combat if I cast Fog Cloud, to how certain class and race mechanics work in combination with Wild Shape, to what "will not" means in relation to them wearing metal armor, especially since the game developers say they "can".

generic

I'm talking Spores Druids specifically here.

Halo of Spores

Starting at 2nd level, you are surrounded by invisible, necrotic spores that are harmless until you unleash them on a creature nearby. When a creature you can see moves into a space within 10 feet of you or starts its turn there, you can use your reaction to deal 1d4 necrotic damage to that creature unless it succeeds on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC. The necrotic damage increases to 1d6 at 6th level, 1d8 at 10th level, and 1d10 at 14th level.

Symbiotic Entity

At 2nd level, you gain the ability to channel magic into your spores. As an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to awaken those spores, rather than transforming into a beast form, and you gain 4 temporary hit points for each level you have in this class. While this feature is active, you gain the following benefits:

When you deal your Halo of Spores damage, roll the damage die a second time and add it to the total. Your melee weapon attacks deal an extra 1d6 poison damage to any target they hit.

These benefits last for 10 minutes, until you lose all these temporary hit points, or until you use your Wild Shape again.

Fungal Infestation

At 6th level, your spores gain the ability to infest a corpse and animate it. If a beast or a humanoid that is Small or Medium dies within 10 feet of you, you can use your reaction to animate it, causing it to stand up immediately with 1 hit point. The creature uses the zombie stat block in the Monster Manual. It remains animate for 1 hour, after which time it collapses and dies.

In combat, the zombie’s turn comes immediately after yours. It obeys your mental commands, and the only action it can take is the Attack action, making one melee attack.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once), and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

Well, I admit that this is unfortunate. I would fix this by granting an AC bonus while the Halo of Spores is active. However, I stand by my assertion that Druids should not be frontlines.

Remove ads