D&D 5E Why the Druid Metal Restriction is Poorly Implemented

5ekyu

Hero
In mine it was blue dragonscale armour (essentially medium armour, protects as per scale mail, no penalty to stealth, resistance to electrical damage) - at about level 8. The party's Bard swiped it... oh well.

And yep, session 0 is when expectations are to be thrashed out.... not during play - that's very bad form.
Yeah the loot splits get strange. Hard to predict what triggers an itch.

Course, when that druid got into an area with banded armor made by druidic dragon/lizard folks he kept wearing the shells, didnt even check eith them on access to special wooden shields or banded? Even after being told finding wooden shield with enchants is rare outside of druid enclaves.

coolAlias

Explorer
Assuming you are talking a devotion paladin where the tenets vover thst kind of activity, no I wouldn't tell them that because thats silly.
See, the rules agreed to play by, assuming RAW, include that whole section on breaking oaths, even the bestest is fallible, hest of moment, emotion, etc etc etc.

So, that makes it clear that the rules show you the tenets as stuff you aspire to, not hard and fast prohibitions.

It would be like say, our rule on pvp was " if you pvp, your character loses a level." That's a whole different rule than "our characters will not PvP."

See the diff?
Perhaps you are misunderstanding my stance here.

I am NOT saying that anyone should be able to create a druid character that non-chalantly wears metal armor at any 5e D&D table anywhere in the world.

I am NOT saying that a player should be allowed to break the group's social contract - a group that has agreed no PvP is well within their right to ignore a player saying they stab their companion in the back.

What I AM saying is that if paladins are able to freely choose to break their oaths, and clerics to defy their deities, etc., then a druid should equally be free to choose to wear metal armor, and suffer in-game consequences for that decision just like the other classes.

Now, if your group's social contract is that character actions should never deviate from that suggested by their class lore, then yes, absolutely shut that druid player down when they try to put some metal armor on. That's what they agreed to.

Neither way of playing is wrong, though I obviously have a strong preference for one style over the other.

5ekyu

Hero
Perhaps you are misunderstanding my stance here.

I am NOT saying that anyone should be able to create a druid character that non-chalantly wears metal armor at any 5e D&D table anywhere in the world.

I am NOT saying that a player should be allowed to break the group's social contract - a group that has agreed no PvP is well within their right to ignore a player saying they stab their companion in the back.

What I AM saying is that if paladins are able to freely choose to break their oaths, and clerics to defy their deities, etc., then a druid should equally be free to choose to wear metal armor, and suffer in-game consequences for that decision just like the other classes.

Now, if your group's social contract is that character actions should never deviate from that suggested by their class lore, then yes, absolutely shut that druid player down when they try to put some metal armor on. That's what they agreed to.

Neither way of playing is wrong, though I obviously have a strong preference for one style over the other.
"What I AM saying is that if paladins are able to freely choose to break their oaths, and clerics to defy their deities, etc., then a druid should equally be free to choose to wear metal armor, and suffer in-game consequences for that decision just like the other classes."

What I am saying is that if that is going to be the rules st play in your game, those rules should be in place and set down - preferably session zero but definitely before and druid charsacter escape chargen approved.

As for whether or not st any table druids and paladins should be the same or different, unlike you, I dont give a crap. It only matters to me if it's my table then it's a discussion.

But if at my neighbors they say druids csn freely wear armor but paladin oaths violation bring consequences- I dont care. There is plenty of room in the world for tables that same-up paladins and druids * and* games where they are very distinct.

coolAlias

Explorer
"What I AM saying is that if paladins are able to freely choose to break their oaths, and clerics to defy their deities, etc., then a druid should equally be free to choose to wear metal armor, and suffer in-game consequences for that decision just like the other classes."

What I am saying is that if that is going to be the rules st play in your game, those rules should be in place and set down - preferably session zero but definitely before and druid charsacter escape chargen approved.

As for whether or not st any table druids and paladins should be the same or different, unlike you, I dont give a crap. It only matters to me if it's my table then it's a discussion.

But if at my neighbors they say druids csn freely wear armor but paladin oaths violation bring consequences- I dont care. There is plenty of room in the world for tables that same-up paladins and druids * and* games where they are very distinct.
It seems, then, that we are fundamentally in agreement. Carry on.

Ohmyn

First Post
Who has said “great, this thread again”? Names.

This feels like a necro post...
Good grief. This argument, again?

That's just in the first few pages. If you want to find more names, feel free to go through the rest of the pages, but I'm not digging that much. I know it's been said at least a few more times in this thread, but two examples from the start of the thread should suffice.

You are totally wrong in saying lore aren’t rules. Imagine my surprise. They are rules. LITERALLY how rule is defined in the dictionary. They are part of the design process, just as important as mechanics.

Just because they're part of the design process does not mean they are mechanical rules of the game. At most the lore can be enforced as a RAI, but the discussion is about the RAW. Clerics have deities in their lore, but because there's no mechanical penalty that forces them to worship a deity in this edition, nor is their a mechanical penalty for if they denounce the deities in general, punishing a Cleric for either of these things would not be RAW. It's no more a rule of the game than a DM saying Wizards are not allowed in their campaign. The DM's allowed to do it, but that point has no place in a discussion about RAW.

Paladins are an exception to this, because their lore does have an excerpt with implications towards breaking their tenets. They still have their oaths, and those oaths have tenets, but they're free to break them, because taboo does not limit character actions. It just so happens that in this instance it is RAW to punish them for it, because the rules list penalties to impose on those who break their oaths.

You just got done saying we were too dumb to understand rules before the internet came along and we were presumably graced with intellectuals like yourself. So forgive me if I don’t take you seriously at all. I’m utterly convinced at this point you’re just trolling.

No, you don't get what I'm saying at all in this regard either if this is how you're still interpreting it. For example, I used to play Diablo 2 when it came out. Back then, online gaming was very small, and there were not really any active communities to discuss gameplay. Wikis did not exist, skill calculators did not exist, forums where you could find game guides did not exist. I was dumb at that game, along with almost everybody playing the game. Looking back at gaming then compared to how gaming is today, everyone back then were practically chickens with their heads cut off in terms of their knowledge as to how to play online games.

Everyone was stuck trying to individually figure out how the game worked. Nobody knew what good characters were, nobody knew where to find equipment, nobody knew that if your character was running that your defense was set to 0, etc, etc. Now the internet has guides everywhere for every game. Wikis exist for every game. You can download skill builds and descriptions as to how and why things work. Now if I were going to jump into Diablo 2 for the first time, I could read online and find out how to proceed, what mechanics are optimal, how skills actually perform compared to what the description says, etc, etc. Back then it used to be considered something amazing to get geared up and build a powerful character in such a game, but now that's just the minimum expectation to have figured out in a week.

Dungeons and Dragons is the same way. Look at Jeremy Crawford's Twitter and see how many people ask about rules clarifications. Back in the day people couldn't do this. This means these same people seeking clarification today would have never gotten an answer to their questions. They simply would have had to make something up, which is how the game used to be played, even by people trying to play RAW, because there was nowhere to go for quick and easy clarification on the rules.

Abiding by a rule is NOT removing player agency.
@Ohmyn - that's not how the 1E rules were written, you're trying to apply the modern approach to D&D rulebook writing to a 40+ year old game in which was still very much evolving up until the release of each rulebook (which were spread over a number of years).. the DMG in particular is very much stream of consciousness in its lack of organisation. Lowkey described the way the rules were written much better in I ever can several pages back.

The reason a Druid could not wear metal armour in 1E was because, in 3 places, the rules said they cannot... without ever giving any instances in which they can.

... plus the DMG training costs were not for PCs who broke the rules, they were for character who acted outside their general roles - there is a difference.

It didn't have to say they could. It said they cannot, and gave the reason. That's enough to know what happens when they try, so they don't have to give an instance in which they can. If the book said smith's tools can be used to perform blacksmithing, they don't need to list every item you can make. They simply tell you what happens when you use the tools, and then you apply that to any instance in which they are used. If they said Magic Users lack the training to use blacksmithing tools, they could still sit there and smash a chunk of metal with a hammer; they simply wouldn't get anything out of it. If they had to list every instance in which you could use them, the book would never end because the options are limitless.

And yes, that's how the book was written, it's just not how people read it. It was written like a tabletop RPG rule book, as the current books are, but people read it like a board game rulebook, because it simply wasn't common knowledge as to how to read a tabletop RPG rule book. I have copies of the books right now and they are written exactly as I have been explaining. You're just reading yes or no, and not the reasons given. The reason why Druids could not wear metal was not because they had some references in the book saying they couldn't wear it. The reason why Druids could not wear metal was because it spoiled their magic, which the book literally says is the reason the first time it mentions that they cannot wear it. As I mentioned before, every other instance was in reference to this fact, so of course they didn't need to spell it out each time.

As for the DMG training costs chart, yes, using a weapon not belonging to your class is indeed acting outside of the character of your class. A thief swinging a sword, and a Cleric peeing on their party members, are both actions. Thieves can't effectively use two handed swords, so a thief swinging around a two handed sword is acting outside the character of their class, just as a Lawful Good Cleric pissing on random people is acting outside their alignment. That's not something either character would do as defined by their lore, but the player could do it, they'd just be penalized for it. If you read otherwise, you were reading it wrong.

Ohmyn

First Post
"So when a player playing a paladin decides that their character is going to lie or cheat or steal, you tell them that they can't?"

In AD&D? Yep, in most circumstances. Just because the player might be chaotic neutral, doesn’t mean the paladin isn’t lawful good. That’s what a role playing game is—you take the role. If you don’t like the lore and fluff rules behind the paladin, then play a different character. What makes the paladin isn’t just the mechanical bonuses. That’s why there is lots of text BEFORE the mechanical bits in every class entry. Designers don’t put that there because they were bored looking to fill white space, it’s there for a reason. The reason the paladin gets all of those kewl powerz is because of the lore and fluff rules.

Except the Paladin class in AD&D had penalties associated with performing such actions, and did not have anything prohibiting it. If they performed a chaotic act, they needed to seek penance. If they performed an evil act, they lost their Paladin class forever and became a normal Fighter. If the Paladin was fine with the consequences, as per the RAW, they were free to do so. The DM could stop them, but that wasn't the rule the book presented, because again, the books were written so that the players make their own choices, even if they have extreme consequences.

Tony Vargas

Legend
We're discussing 5e here, but even in AD&D that kind of hard-line dismissal of a player's choice was unnecessary due to mechanical backing (in most cases) of the lore-based rules, nor do I think the AD&D rules were intended to fully negate player agency in that manner (at least in this case - class/race restrictions etc., not so much).
It might have seemed un-necessary, but it was certainly there - some DMs got /really/ into that "your character wouldn't do that" is not an unfamiliar phrase from back in the day - while others were like "WTF, no, go ahead play a Ranger/Druid/Magic-User, wear whatever you want..."

...but I see the point, you /could/, if you wanted to, break you class proscriptions and be demoted to Fighter or lose your casting abilities until you atoned, be penalized exp, whole levels, struck on the head by blue bolts from heaven or whatever. Can't say I ever saw anyone go there, since the disincentives were so profound...

By contrast, the 5e non-rule and Sage advice looks like a bit of carelessness waved away instead of errata'd.

Last edited:

JonnyP71

Explorer
As for the DMG training costs chart, yes, using a weapon not belonging to your class is indeed acting outside of the character of your class. A thief swinging a sword, and a Cleric peeing on their party members, are both actions. Thieves can't effectively use two handed swords, so a thief swinging around a two handed sword is acting outside the character of their class, just as a Lawful Good Cleric pissing on random people is acting outside their alignment. That's not something either character would do as defined by their lore, but the player could do it, they'd just be penalized for it. If you read otherwise, you were reading it wrong.

Look, we're all going round in circles.

"Will not" is quite sufficient, it is clear, and backed up by Sage advice - 'it's up to the DM, not the player'. The DM is the final arbiter, has right of veto, defines the setting and the rules to be used.

You don't comprehend the meaning of the word 'rules'

'Taboo' DOES limit the character actions if the group as a whole respect the Lore - if they don't, well it's up to them. Thankfully I've never found a group like that... I've seen a few players with the 'it's all about ME' attitude, they've typically lasted 1-4 sessions before being shown where the door is and instructed to close it on the way out.

You're willfully ignoring/misinterpreting 1E rules, especially regarding proficiencies.

You're branding anyone who disagrees with you 'dumb', never a good stance to take.

You're trying to attribute modern approaches of play/design to old school rulebooks, that were NOT written as
you maintain they were.

You're not listening to multiple people (who have more experience with the material in question than you do) telling you when are wrong - which you are - consistently.

It is clear you've created this account here to argue stubbornly over one single issue which annoys you - and are unwilling to accept any other point of view on the issue.

coolAlias

Explorer
It is clear you've created this account here to argue stubbornly over one single issue which annoys you - and are unwilling to accept any other point of view on the issue.
If that doesn't describe the internet in a nutshell, I don't know what does! ;)

That said, the OP's opposition is equally adamant in refusing to acknowledge that the rule seems to be the only one in 5e that, according to people arguing against the OP, completely denies the player an in-game choice, whereas all the other similar rules allow for the possibility of the player choosing to act differently.

Making choices and suffering the consequences is the core feature of role-playing games - baking reasons into the rules to deny players the opportunity to make those types of choices is something that I'm very happy D&D has, except for this one straggler, decided to leave behind.

oreofox

Explorer
I am curious why a 1e monk couldn't use flaming oil. As someone who didn't play but 1 session of 1e, it seems strange.

However, I have noticed a trend in more modern gaming (maybe it was there back then, too), people seem to not be able to play characters with deeply held convictions. Things they absolutely will not do, ways they absolutely will not act, and so on. The hatred for alignment, the 420+ posts in here hating on a druid not wearing metal armor, calling people who follow the rule of no druid in metal armor "dumb". The cries for non-lawful good paladins (which was granted with 5e), why does my monk have to be lawful? What if I want to multiclass with barbarian for that sweet rage? Why does my barbarian have to be chaotic?

Druids won't wear armor made of metal because of their lore based convictions. "But what about a nature cleric in half-plate?" Ok, if you want to wear metal armor, make a nature cleric. Or is your reason for choosing druid the wild shape, and screw any "stupid lore 'non-rules"? Then you will have to suck it up and deal with the no metal armor. Or take it up with your DM. I know at my table, a druid would never willingly wear metal armor. It's a lore based reason, an oath a potential druid takes that is binding upon taking the 1st level of druid. Want some nature magic while wearing metal armor? Play somewhere else, as my nature deities impose the same restriction upon their clerics.

Remove ads