Keanu in the MCU

I heard some speculation on Keanu being eyed for Doctor Doom. Personally, I think Christoph Waltz would be pretty awesome in the role. But regardless of who they cast, they need someone who can act behind a mask. That makes all the difference in those sorts of roles.

On the flip side, I could see Keanu as Reed Richards. He could totally play the hyperintelligent eccentric that is just as likely to do something horribly mistaken in the name of science.

Now, if you wanted something more action-packed, there are a couple of heroes that come to mind. Gambit, though he might be too old for that role. I could see him as Northstar, though that also raises the issue of representational casting. Adam Warlock and Namor also come to mind.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
*I think Reed Richards would totally work, but ... I'm not sure the Fantastic Four works, today.

Well, families are still a thing, right? So, the Fantastic Four still works, today.

The problem with FF movies has not been that "they don't work". It has been that Fox does not, at its core, understand superheroes, at least of the Marvel variety. They have fundamentally missed what is most important to the superhero properties they touch. For the Fantastic Four, that is about family. They have focused on "Ooooh! Doctor Doooooom!". They've focused on the team's internal arguments. They haven't focused on what makes a group of such disparate people still stay together, despite the stresses in life, which in this case just happen to be super-powered.

It is hard to write a movie about a family, and really capture the dynamics. But, if Jordan Peele can do it in "Us", someone can do it for the FF.

As a 90s Goth, no matter how bad Keanu Reeves’ accent was in it, I will always love that movie. And to be fair, Harker generally seems to get the short end of the stick (stake?) in the other adaptations, too.

I can remember a friend at the time saying “I don’t care how many different ways you pronounce Dracula, that doesn’t make it acting!”

Captain Britain.

I just watched Keanu in Bram Stoker's Dracula, again. I know he would nail it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Given his delivery of “Your planet?” in The Day The Earth Stood Still, as well as his efforts in Point Break, I Love You To Death, Johnny Mnemonic, the Matrix franchise and the Bill & Ted movies, my first thought was Silver Surfer.

Duuuude!

Moon Knight is a good fit, as would be Adam Warlock.

I could also see him playing Havoc, or one of the Squadron Sinister/Supreme like Doctor Spectrum, The Whizzer, or Nighthawk.

The Swordsman or the Black Knight?

It might be kinda cool to see him as Captain Universe.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I mean, look .... if Marvel can make Guardians of the Galaxy work and be a hit, I wouldn't put anything past them. Why not Squirrel Girl?

I don't doubt that Kamala Kahn/Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl will hit the big screen eventually.

*In other words, the essence of Fantastic Four-ness, for lack of a better phrasing, doesn't translate as well well to the modern age.

I am not sure I see what about their dynamic doesn't work. It isn't like the personality types in question are rare today, or anything.

MarkB

Legend
Well, I mean, look .... if Marvel can make Guardians of the Galaxy work and be a hit, I wouldn't put anything past them. Why not Squirrel Girl?

But the particular dynamics and powers of the FF are just ... not nearly as relevant as they were. IOW, to the extent that you can retcon their origin, change around some stuff, and call it FF, why not? But I don't know that the particular FF dynamics qua FF work as well today.*

Ironically, if they successfully made a Fantastic Four movie that built upon the family dynamics, it would probably feel like an Incredibles knock-off.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases