D&D 5E Another attempt at fixing the -5 / +10 issue

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
TWF is already superior at damage dealing at tier 1 without feats but with this change those without heavy or ranged weapons can deal serious damage - for a price. Note though that 1st level PCs are very squishy and taking a -5 on your attack could prove a fatal mistake. I did consider putting the requirement of Proficiency Bonus +3 but that would mean ruling the feat out at level 4 and only fighters could get it at level 6 - others would have to wait until level 8..

The fighter with precision attack is actually worse than the barbarian early and he scales without bonus action interference and maintains that +2 ASI lead for a decent portion of the career. Even longer for non-variant humans.

Thus, IMO your proposed change is not balanced.

GlassJaw

Hero
I always felt like +10 damage was way too much at lower levels. I also think it's way, way too much damage for a single handed weapon user to get. Combining it with bonus action attacks also feels too much. I'd think long and hard about going toward -Prof/+Prof (or +2xProf if it's needed to be balanced).

This is my preferred solution. I'd start with -Prof/+Prof and then reevaluate if it needed a boost.

FrogReaver

This is my preferred solution. I'd start with -Prof/+Prof and then reevaluate if it needed a boost.

The thing is, in the early tier -prof/+prof is very close in average damage to -5/+10 and alot more relaible. As an optimizer, if I had that option over -5/+10 i'd gladly take it.

5ekyu

Hero
Because it increases the range of the feat.

Correct.

No, I decide to solve it by breaking it out into separate feats which the GM can allow or ban at their discretion.
TheGM can already chose your new "solution" option of just banning them. So, really the new part would be using them and you open them up to all, not just a few styles.

So, back to the new solution being having more of it in play across a wider group of builds or banning it.

Course, if it takes an extra fest, that makes the human feat variant even more appealing- so more ofvthstnond, fewer of all the rest.

Agsin, I wonder why not make it a non-feat aspect. If all the combat hitters are gonna get it now, make it core and adjust upward the overall estimations - that will need to be re-evaluated anyway.

GlassJaw

Hero
The thing is, in the early tier -prof/+prof is very close in average damage to -5/+10 and alot more relaible. As an optimizer, if I had that option over -5/+10 i'd gladly take it.

But the damage is more consistent and less swingy. Also less likely to make a mess of your boss encounters. Plus it scales better from 1-20.

5ekyu

Hero
Assuming a bog standard level 1 greatsword attack (+5 attack, 2d6+3 damage), normal attacking is superior when AC >= 20,
AC 19 is equal, -2/+4 is better between ACs 18 and 14, and -5/+10 is better when AC <= 13.
Power attack in forms that allowed chosen minuses to hit and comparable gains in damage have been around for a while in various types of d20 gsmes snd others for a long time.

Experience with them backs up your claims in actual play non-ehite room excels where the right assumptions get you amy results you want.

Those who typically evangelize the 5 -10 round here fall back when pressed on how you just eont use it when it's not superior and then ignore that part of the sample.

But, in actual play, a variable -×+2× will mean a lot more opportunities for the feat to give you extra. It eont be the same yield, but then, the -1 to -4 gains will be all coming from cases which would have been-0+0 so anything gained is more to the average. Its all gain, no downside if applies eith the same perfect choosing.

But, back to those pesky assumptions, to me it's a bit bigger than it likely seems to some. I never count either random distributions or such. Too often the math pretends to offset high results with low ones and rarely does that play out.

For my analysis, instead of random ACs or ACs distributed by entries in MM, I tend to pay more attention to "that matters". The idea is that casual warm- ups and skirmishes are gonna be over easy anyway.

The fights "that matter" are the hard to deadly ones. Those, IMO, do not show anything like an "even spread" of ACs or a bell curve of defenses. The fights that matter and are hard to deadly tend to combine higher ends of both defenses and offenses.

So, anything that weights the outputs against say AC 10-12 in anything even remotely the same zip code as the results against AC 18-20 is gonna be a product of that assumption.

Winning the hard fights that matter counts for a lot more than squashing the trivial fights that dont matter in 2 rounds of never-ending cantrips and swings rather than 3 rounds.

The -×+2× flexibility is gonna apply in more of those "hard that mwtter" than the locked in -5/+10 do.

FrogReaver

Uhhh adding the 5-10 to everyone who is into dsmage output is already raising the bar. Your shield guys and twf guys will already be adding their newfound 5-10 must have output in.

Is there another game smashing must have feat we should be looking at too or is the new " must have" the +2 score option?

When do we carve out enough thst balance isnt spelled " one way"?

It's a combo thing. If you invest in -5/+10 you have to invest in accuracy too or the investment doesn't really pay off.

FrogReaver

Power attack in forms that allowed chosen minuses to hit and comparable gains in damage have been around for a while in various types of d20 gsmes snd others for a long time.

Experience with them backs up your claims in actual play non-ehite room excels where the right assumptions get you amy results you want.

Those who typically evangelize the 5 -10 round here fall back when pressed on how you just eont use it when it's not superior and then ignore that part of the sample.

But, in actual play, a variable -×+2× will mean a lot more opportunities for the feat to give you extra. It eont be the same yield, but then, the -1 to -4 gains will be all coming from cases which would have been-0+0 so anything gained is more to the average. Its all gain, no downside if applies eith the same perfect choosing.

But, back to those pesky assumptions, to me it's a bit bigger than it likely seems to some. I never count either random distributions or such. Too often the math pretends to offset high results with low ones and rarely does that play out.

For my analysis, instead of random ACs or ACs distributed by entries in MM, I tend to pay more attention to "that matters". The idea is that casual warm- ups and skirmishes are gonna be over easy anyway.

The fights "that matter" are the hard to deadly ones. Those, IMO, do not show anything like an "even spread" of ACs or a bell curve of defenses. The fights that matter and are hard to deadly tend to combine higher ends of both defenses and offenses.

So, anything that weights the outputs against say AC 10-12 in anything even remotely the same zip code as the results against AC 18-20 is gonna be a product of that assumption.

Winning the hard fights that matter counts for a lot more than squashing the trivial fights that dont matter in 2 rounds of never-ending cantrips and swings rather than 3 rounds.

The -×+2× flexibility is gonna apply in more of those "hard that mwtter" than the locked in -5/+10 do.

Give me what you feel is a fair AC distribution for the test case. I already have it set up to use any.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer

Just for the record, I don't think anyone is advocating for the variable power attack of 3e. -Prof/+2*Prof is a fixed -2/+4 until level 5, when it becomes -3/+6. It changes with level, but it can't be varied by the player.

True, but the fights that matter are also going to feature greater resource expenditure on buffs. Better scaling with accuracy is one of the primary perks of the -X/+2X construction.

Remove ads