D&D 5E D&D Essentials Kit Offers a New Place to Start

One of the biggest surprises at D&D Live 2019: The Descent was the announcement of the D&D Essentials Kit. The D&D Starter Set has already been around several years so it was surprising that that Wizards of the Coast would make another set for new players. It seemed even more odd once they explained that the Essentials Kit was not replacing the Starter Set.

519DX_EssentialsKit_ProductImgFullv1.png

According to Chris Perkins in a D&D Beyond interview with Todd Kenreck, they decided early on that Essentials Kit could be usable with the Starter Set. From that flowed out the decision to also set the Essentials Kit adventure in Phandalin so if you own both, the two adventures create a larger campaign. Another reason for the Essentials Kit is to apply what they learned since the Starter Set about teaching D&D, and RPGs in general, to newcomers.

Looking through the Essentials Kit, I'm excited. Even though I've been playing and DMing D&D longer than I want to admit (I have dice older than some of my current players), I'll use many of the items in it for my games whereas with the Starter Set, I mostly used it for the adventure, which was very good for newcomers to D&D.

Now, I have to admit to some favorable bias. The Essentials Kit utilizes concepts about how to lower the barrier to entry for new players that I've championed for a long time. I've also developed a card-based RPG so I definitely approve of how the Essentials Kit uses cards for conditions, magic items and NPC sidekicks.

Like the Starter Set, the Essentials Kit comes with dice, character sheets, a rulebook geared to newcomers and an adventure. The extras and how it handles rules is what makes the difference.

Unlike the Starter Set, the Essentials Kit does not come with pre-generated characters. The philosophy in the Starter Set was to get people playing as quickly as possible since character creation can be confusing to new players. Character creation can be dealt with when they need a new one.

The Essentials Kit requires new players to make characters and that's described as the first session. While I think the Starter Set got it right, doing it differently for the Essentials Kit makes sense since they're supposed to co-exist.

To keep it simple, the Essentials Kit only offers four races – dwarf, elf, human and halfling – and five character classes – bard, cleric, fight, rogue and wizard. The description of each and the rules to play are written well and simply. Let's be honest, explaining an RPG to an absolute beginner can seem odd and complicated. Doing it well is an art, and the D&D Essentials Kit Rulebook accomplishes it nicely.
519DX_EssentialsKit_ProductImgFullv1.png

Several types of cards are added to enhance the player experience. Initiative cards are a visual reminder of combat order. The Combat Step by Step cards are easy cheat sheets, though I wish a full sheet of 9 had been provided. Condition cards make it easy to remember and track the effects of being knocked prone, grappled, etc. Again, I'd love to see more of these so they could be put in front of every character so affected because even with experienced players, it's easy to lose track in combat.

Magic items used in the adventure also get cards, enabling them to be traded or, if it's a single-use item, handed back to the GM when done. [Note: Gale Force Nine produces official 5E D&D Magic Item cards, too.) A cardboard box is included in the kit to easily store the cards.

One of the key differences in the Essentials Kit adventure is that it can be run with a group, as usual, or as a solo adventure for one player and a DM. This enables people who can't find a full group to still play D&D and also provides an opportunity for someone shy to try the game in a more private situation. With the popularity of actual play videos like Critical Role, Sirens of the Realms, Dice, Camera, Action, Acquisitions Incorporated, etc. attract more people to D&D, that's a useful option. It would be good to have more two-person (one player and DM) adventures on the market (hint to DM's Guild creators).

To facilitate this, sidekicks are a game option. D&D tested companion rules for such a situation and then streamlined them for the Essentials Kit, offering a spellcaster, a fighter and an expert [rogue] as options. Sidekicks give a solo player a little extra help and can level as well. DMs are told to work out with the player who controls the sidekick but presumably with new players the weight will mostly be carried by the DM. A sheet of nine sidekicks are provided as cards with one side showing the NPC's image and the back giving their name, race, category class, personality, ideal, bond, flaw and a blurb about them. Details as to what a sidekick expert, caster or fighter can do is in the Essentials Kit Rulebook.

A sidekick also opens up the possibility of a new player being the sidekick to a more experienced player to try out the game without being overwhelmed. That's a nice option.

I like the DM screen in the kit much better than the original 5E DM screen I'm using, which has an entire quarter devoted to randomly generating NPC characteristics, bonds, flaws, and ideals as well as a “something happens” random chart that's pretty useless. The Essentials Kit DM screen has conditions, travel, cover, etc. info like that screen but also includes charts for services, food and lodging, concentration rules, object hit points, object armor class, damage by level, etc.

The last set of cards are for Quests. During the adventure players can visit the board at the townmaster's hall to get jobs [quests]. Only three quests are out at a time, when those are completed, three more are available and then a final three.

The Essentials Kit also comes with a double-sided, full color map and dice. Whereas the Starter Set only had six dice because it only provided one d10, the Essentials Kit has a standard set of polyhedrals plus a second d20 to make rolling advantage/disadvantage easier, and four d6s.

I'm really happy with the Essentials Kit. Unlike the Starter Set, which has mostly sat on my shelf, I'll use parts of this kit in my weekly campaign. It's definitely a good entry point to the hobby for newcomers.

The D&D Essentials Kit is an exclusive at Target until September 3, 2019, when it will be available at all D&D retailers.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Picked it up yesterday. Disappointed the adventure didn't include some advice on merging it with LMoP. Since they are both of the same levels. Yes it has a throw away sentence or two in the back but a new DM isnt going to be able to weave the two together.

Haven't finished reading the adventure yet, but the whole thing is here are three jobs, finish them and more jobs show on the job board. It's like a lazy video game. In my opinion not a great way to teach new DMs what a adventure should be.

More Monsters would have been nice and maybe a short section on creating your own adventures.

The mini PHB is what the game needs a streamlined basic rules so bravo for that.

dave2008

Legend
Thank you for the review. I wasn't aware was included the the Essentials Kit and how it differed from the Starter Set. I wasn't really thinking of getting it, but now I just might!

Hollow Man

Explorer
In my opinion not a great way to teach new DMs what a adventure should be.

I don't think D&D has ever tried to push a concept of what an adventure should be, so this approach is fine. In my opinion, explaining how to DM is the thing that D&D has always struggled with. If you throw these sets at a group of people who have never played an RPG, with no Internet, I tend to think the experience will be sobering. Distilling it down to very short encounters, so they can concentrate on the mechanics, is a good strategy. I just think WotC has to work even harder, and be even more explicit, on how to DM a game.

-HM

I think you underestimate people. Or at least potential D&D players - it's not a game for dumb people. When I started playing in the 1980s there was no internet, no one had ever played an RPG, and the rulebooks whern't as well written as they are these days, but we still figured out how to DM.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Haven't finished reading the adventure yet, but the whole thing is here are three jobs, finish them and more jobs show on the job board. It's like a lazy video game. In my opinion not a great way to teach new DMs what a adventure should be.
Isn't "You walk into a shady tavern, a hooded, mysterious stranger in the corner offers you gold and treasure to complete a task" the normal adventure starter since time immemorial?

Hollow Man

Explorer
I think you underestimate people. Or at least potential D&D players - it's not a game for dumb people. When I started playing in the 1980s there was no internet, no one had ever played an RPG, and the rulebooks whern't as well written as they are these days, but we still figured out how to DM.

First, I think the game should be for all people, even ones you perceive as "dumb". And I guess I would be one of them, because back in the 80s, I had difficulty with it. Because the game didn't do a good job of explaining to a 10 year old, who likes rules, exactly what to do if a player wants to do something that isn't explicitly explained.

So my previous comment still stands. Spending as much time as possible explaining how to run a game goes a long way toward expanding the hobby beyond who is playing it today.

-HM

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
It sounds interesting enough to consider buying it, if only for the various useful accessories such as condition cards. Plus, a solo adventure!

This sounds pretty darn cool. When I was all of nine years old and getting into D&D, having a one-DM, one-player adventure model would’ve been great. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a twin, and while we were gaming with friends a lot, we also would game when it was just the two of us. Sidekicks would’ve been great for that, too.

However, the Target exclusive thing is giving me a bit of a crisis of faith – do I wait until it’s available at my FLGS, or pick it up the next time I swing by Target in the coming months?

The D&D Essentials Kit is an exclusive at Target until September 3, 2019, when it will be available at all D&D retailers.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases