D&D Essentials Kit Offers a New Place to Start - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    At least you can! My closest Target is... wait, let me check... oh yes. On a different continent.
    I'm on the good continent (!) but not the good country :|

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

The D&D Starter Set has already been around several years so it was surprising that that Wizards of the Coast would make another set for new players. It seemed even more odd once they explained that the Essentials Kit was not replacing the Starter Set.
    My 4e neo-grognardia is experiencing PEAK SCHADENFREUDE at the confusion here.

How can they possibly make this same mistake twice?!

At least this time they seem to have a plan to put the product in the mass market where it belongs....
    Laugh Tony Vargas laughed with this post

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Fun little story:

I decided to swing by and see about picking up a copy at the local Target here. I wasn't sure if it would be with books or board games or what, so I went to that general area towards the back of the story. As I'm starting to look around, I hear a boy's voice say, "It comes with it's own DM screen!" Of course my ears perked up and I went in that direction as I hear, "Oh, sorry. One for my friend, too."

Getting to the end of the aisle, I see two boys around 10 or so, and they are staring at the back of a box. Keeping my distance because I am some random stranger in a store, of course, I say, "Hey, picking up the Essentials Kit?"

One replies, "Yeah, they only had 3 left and those were still in the back. He's getting one for my friend. You here for it, too?"

"Yep, it looks pretty cool."

"Yeah, I guess they're going to be all out! I'm so excited we were able to get them the day they dropped!" (I can't help but think how weird but nice that is to hear a kid talk about a D&D boxed set the same way they would the latest major video game.)

An employee comes out with a 2nd one for the other boy, and I consider backing away because I feel bad making this guy now go in back for a 3rd time, but the first kid speaks up again, "Thanks! But I guess you have to get that last one for him."

The employee looks at me with a "You want one, too?" look. I nod and apologize for making him go back yet again, but he says he doesn't mind.

As the two kids walk away still re-reading the backs of the boxes mumbling things like "Defeat the dragon of Icespire Peak", I say, "Have fun with that. Happy gaming!"

"Yeah, you, too!" and they walk off and meet one of their mothers, "They had it! Only 3 left..."

------

So our local Target didn't have them out on the shelves yet but still sold out by 1pm.

And it was awesome seeing two kids so excited about it and at pretty much the same age I was when I first got the BECMI Red Box. It was just a cool moment I wanted to share.
    Laugh Jay Verkuilen laughed with this post

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

At least you can! My closest Target is... wait, let me check... oh yes. On a different continent.
    To me its one thousand miles... but hey at least it's the same continent!

Hopefully it will show up on Amazon or my country's response to EBay. Sometimes Target exclusives get listed...

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by kenmarable View Post
    Fun little story:

I decided to swing by and see about picking up a copy at the local Target here. I wasn't sure if it would be with books or board games or what, so I went to that general area towards the back of the story. As I'm starting to look around, I hear a boy's voice say, "It comes with it's own DM screen!" Of course my ears perked up and I went in that direction as I hear, "Oh, sorry. One for my friend, too."

Getting to the end of the aisle, I see two boys around 10 or so, and they are staring at the back of a box. Keeping my distance because I am some random stranger in a store, of course, I say, "Hey, picking up the Essentials Kit?"

One replies, "Yeah, they only had 3 left and those were still in the back. He's getting one for my friend. You here for it, too?"

"Yep, it looks pretty cool."

"Yeah, I guess they're going to be all out! I'm so excited we were able to get them the day they dropped!" (I can't help but think how weird but nice that is to hear a kid talk about a D&D boxed set the same way they would the latest major video game.)

An employee comes out with a 2nd one for the other boy, and I consider backing away because I feel bad making this guy now go in back for a 3rd time, but the first kid speaks up again, "Thanks! But I guess you have to get that last one for him."

The employee looks at me with a "You want one, too?" look. I nod and apologize for making him go back yet again, but he says he doesn't mind.

As the two kids walk away still re-reading the backs of the boxes mumbling things like "Defeat the dragon of Icespire Peak", I say, "Have fun with that. Happy gaming!"

"Yeah, you, too!" and they walk off and meet one of their mothers, "They had it! Only 3 left..."

------

So our local Target didn't have them out on the shelves yet but still sold out by 1pm.

And it was awesome seeing two kids so excited about it and at pretty much the same age I was when I first got the BECMI Red Box. It was just a cool moment I wanted to share.
    Not too shabby for a five year old edition...
    XP Obvious_Ninja gave XP for this post

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Quote Originally Posted by mserabian View Post
    Just picked one up at Target at lunch today. The set looks great, and I'm so happy to set it sitting on the shelf in the games department of a major retailer next to the D&D Starter Set. It seems like a new golden age to me.

I did the same thing. Didn't have time to go threw it at all, but I left it sitting on my desk. Amazing how many of my co-workers desided to poke their colective noses in my office today... new golden age, indeed...
    XP Parmandur gave XP for this post

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
    I'm on the good continent (!) but not the good country :|
    I thought they had Targets in Canada. At the very least you should be able to get it shipped to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Baumi View Post
    Any more Info's on those Sidekicks?
    Basically there are three npc stat blocks in the rule-book. Warrior, Expert, Spellcaster each with information on what they get each lvl up till they get to lvl 6. Then there is 9 npc cards with personality and flaws. What you do is offer one to the player and choose the appropriate stat block. you handout the player the corresponding npc card. I wish the sidekick stat-blocks where in cards as well but that you can easily do on an index card.

Edit: When one sidekick dies you hand out a new one.

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Meh I'll raise your different Continent, to different hemisphere!
    Laugh vpuigdoller laughed with this post

We could grab the same boat ride! Ha or plane, i think plane would be faster lol.