Is Pathfinder 2 Paizo's 4E?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Gamism = RPGing with win conditions.
Well, your win conditions for this post are to be concise, so thats one out of three, right out the gate.

RPGs grew out if wargaming, which often had victory conditions as part of a given scenario. RPGs tend to be more cooperative, but cooperative games can certainly have such conditions, too.

Stuff that matters in design includes GM fairness and, in crunch-heavy systems, broken builds.
Matters in the sense of desirable?

Simulationism = RPGing in which the players' goals is to "be there" - either in the world as it plays out through the mechanics (eg a lot of RM, Runequest and Classic Traveller), or in the world as it plays out through the GMs story/scenario (eg CoC, much post-DL D&D play, V:tM,).
Technically one sentence, but not a concise one, and I'm not sure I decoded it correctly.
To be clear: an actual simulation (especially one that wasn't first-person) could easily fail to be "simulationist." Similarly, a game could be very successfully "simulationist," even if all it's mechanics were extremely poor simulations of the things they purported to model.

So it's an outright confusing, obfuscating label.
(IDK if it inveigles, I just tossed that in for the X-Files reference.)

I mean, if were being concise, it's the immerssions, isn't it?

Narrativism = RPGing where the goal, in play, is to create story experiences that are recognisably stories in the sense in which novels and films are stories. So sequences of events that exhibit pacing, theme, rising action and climax, etc - where this is not pre-established by a GM or module writer but is done collectively at the table using the classic RPGing devices of players playing characters through the GM's world/situation.

Can't really give that points for concise. But it's clear. It also explicitly excludes the most obvious way to create a story in an RPG. Ironically, also looks like it tries to exclude Storyteller, a system that tries so hard to model stories it calls it's resolution mechanics drama systems, and it's encounters scenes.

See, I'd think a narrativist RPG would be going for modeling stories, without any particular restrictions on how. But, really, that's trying to be a good simulation of a genre or story....
A group of us on these boards think that of all versions of D&D, 4e is the best suited for narrativist play;
Whatever the commercial fate of Paizo's PF2, I've seen no evidence that PF2 is intended to be, or will be, a good game for narrativist purposes.
I doubt very much there was any intent to make any version of D&D or PF conform to any sort of Forge label.

The only plausible metaphor strikes me as the commercial success one: Though I doubt PF2 will have a 100 mil stretch goal, even in this much more lively RPG market.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
a game could be very successfully "simulationist," even if all it's mechanics were extremely poor simulations of the things they purported to model.

Physicists call the heat given of by a burning match "work". Even though no one is doing any work. Most jargon has an origin that explains where it came from even though the present use of the jargon wouldn't reveal that.

I mean, if were being concise, it's the immerssions, isn't it?
Immersion is often used to describe a mental state. A person can play a Paizo AP and be engaged in the world of the story without entering that mental state, I think.

It also explicitly excludes the most obvious way to create a story in an RPG. Ironically, also looks like it tries to exclude Storyteller
It's not ironic. As [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] already posted, a significant, perhaps primary, driver of The Forge was to try and understand why Storyteller - especially V:tM - sucks if your goal in RPGing is to create story via play in the way I described. And then to design games that didn't suck in the same way.

See, I'd think a narrativist RPG would be going for modeling stories, without any particular restrictions on how. But, really, that's trying to be a good simulation of a genre or story....
Someone might classify both basketball and croquet as ball sports, but I'm not sure that's going to take us very far. Whereas I can see how comparing basket ball and rugby makes sense (and if you combined them you might even come up with something that resembles Australian football).

Because RPGing invovles multiple participants, most of whom are in the "player"/"protagonist" role, it turns out that the difference between playing through a pre-established story and generating a story via play is pretty fundamental. If you're into the latter, the former is something you need to learn identify and avoid even if has the label "storyteller" on it. If you're into the former, then most players who prefer the latter are going to register on your "problem player" meter, as they won't just sit back and go along for the ride . . .

I doubt very much there was any intent to make any version of D&D or PH conform to any sort of Forge label.
Much as most cooks don't set out to anything in particular from the point of view of chemistry - they just try and make nice food. Chemistry might still help us understand what it is they're doing.

It's possible to talk about the sort of play that (say) 5e supports well or poorly whether or not its designers were thinking about that at the time they designed it.

Hussar

Legend
No horse in this race, but, it's kinda interesting anyway.

Tony Vargas said:
Matters in the sense of desirable?

No. Matters in the sense that there will be mechanics in place to deal with this element. Thus, broken builds matter in a gamist game because they violate the win conditions - the same way that using a cheat code or an exploit in a video game violates the nature of the game.

In non-gamist games, broken builds don't matter because the "win" conditions don't exist. Thus, a Doctor Who rpg can have the Doctor adventuring with all the companions and it's okay, despite the fact that the Doctor player has vastly more resources to call upon.

JeffB

Legend
As a fan of 4e, and not 3.5, I absolutely do hope that PF2e is Paizo's 4e to its 3.5 (PF1) :)

I disliked the playtest. But the gameplay in Oblivion Oath has got me pretty excited to see it. It seems to be, like 4e, a game that plays better than it reads.

We shall see.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Technically one sentence, but not a concise one, and I'm not sure I decoded it correctly.
To be clear: an actual simulation (especially one that wasn't first-person) could easily fail to be "simulationist." Similarly, a game could be very successfully "simulationist," even if all it's mechanics were extremely poor simulations of the things they purported to model.

It certainly has always been one of my annoyances with Forge-speak. It confuses when the labels chosen by Edwards and his disciples are easily and intuitably used to describe game mechanics and their trade-offs in designing a good game yet their meanings substantially contrast.

Tony Vargas

Legend
No horse in this race, but, it's kinda interesting anyway.
I think the horse I have in it is still hitched to a plow.
Matters in the sense that there will be mechanics in place to deal with this element. Thus, broken builds matter in a gamist game because they violate the win conditions - the same way that using a cheat code or an exploit in a video game violates the nature of the game.
Yet, rewards for system mastery seem like they'd be aligned with that agenda. .
In non-gamist games, broken builds don't matter because the "win" conditions don't exist.
Win conditions might be set in any scenario, and could be cooperative. But I'm not so sure broken characters aren't still an issue without them - dominating play is dominating play, regardless.

Physicists call the heat given of by a burning match "work". Even though no one is doing any work.
Even in physics sense, work involves moving objects. If the system under consideration is just a burning match, no work is being done.
There are plenty of examples of physics jargon that are just a matter of being named after someone or just completely arbitrary. Few, though are intentionally deceptive...
Immersion is often used to describe a mental state. A person can play a Paizo AP and be engaged in the world of the story without entering that mental state, I think.
It seems as or more suggestive of the concept than simulation.
It's not ironic. As [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] already posted, a significant, perhaps primary, driver of The Forge was to try and understand why Storyteller - especially V:tM - sucks if your goal in RPGing is to create story via play in the way I described.
I have an impression that the Forge banged out GNS as a refinement of three-fold theory, which itself, came from the false dichotomy of the Roll v Role debate.
Also, the Forge always struck me as a coterie of unsuccessful,* aspiring, & armchair game designers, trying to understand, in terms of game design, why the RPG hobby got so niche in the 90s, how Storyteller led the hobby, only to return to D&D dominance with d20, in spite of spits of D&D and ST both being execrably-designed systems.
A problem with that being that they were marketing & sociology questions, not game-design questions.

Someone might classify both basketball and croquet as ball sports, but I'm not sure that's going to take us very far
It's at least using both terms intuitively. Both can be played competatively, both use balls. They're distinct from, say, Track & field or Olympic swimming or fencing.
A comparably broad term might be TTRPG.

Because RPGing invovles multiple participants, most of whom are in the "player"/"protagonist" role, it turns out that the difference between playing through a pre-established story and generating a story via play is pretty fundamental.
I can't agree. A skillful GM could deliver a player experience while running the players through a pre-established story that would be industinguishable from one generated organically from play.
If you're into the latter, the former is something you need to learn identify and avoid even if has the label "storyteller" on it.
Not that storyteller is a great, or even functional system, nor that it would be some great injustice to shun it...
...But that sure sounds like sorting games into monolithic categories and judging them.

Much as most cooks don't set out to anything in particular from the point of view of chemistry - they just try and make nice food. Chemistry might still help us understand what it is they're doing.
Chemistry has a couple centuries of scientific rigour behind it. The Forge was a few years of opinionated word-wrangling in a veritable echo-chamber.
It's possible to talk about the sort of play that (say) 5e supports well or poorly whether or not its designers were thinking about that at the time they designed it.
It should be, but the Forge and GNS have not facilitated that sort of analysis.

For instance, 5e is not great for PvP, but with a sufficiently fair & impartial DM, its doable. 5e is not great for telling a collaborative story, but with a wise & open enough DM, it's doable. 5e is not great for creating an immersive 1st-person experience, but an expressive DM with high social intelligence could pull it off.
It's not the GNS segregation of preferences that helpfully characterizes or describes it, it's qualities of the system that empower the DM that're defining.

Why would a DM ever say “you lose 50 HP for no reason muhuhahahah!”?
I think the villain laugh is your answer.
;)
Seriously though, hp loss can be used, arbitrarily, by the DM as a stick to shove a misbehaving player back in line, or punish inappropriate RP. It's crude code for "I'll throw you out of the game," but I've seen it done - back in the day - and even seen it work. By the same token there are RP carrots DMs can arbitrarily give out as rewards. There are even formal systems for them, like 5e inspiration.

Besides, hps can include factors like luck, fate, divine favor or the like that the DM could claim control over.

* relative to the success of D&D in the fad years - or today - or Storyteller in the 90s.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Win conditions might be set in any scenario
In narrativist play the notion of setting win conditions is complicated at best. The notion of "scenario", as opposed to "situation", can also be problematic.

There are plenty of examples of physics jargon that are just a matter of being named after someone or just completely arbitrary. Few, though are intentionally deceptive
I don't think Ron Edwards et al intended to be "deceptive". Who are they trying to deceive? Every one of the major essays has a glossary appended; the major essays set out in detail what is meant to be conveyed by various terms; the forum posts are long and anaytical - there's not even deception, let alone any intention to deceive.

the Forge always struck me as a coterie of unsuccessful,* aspiring, & armchair game designers
You mean like Ron Edwards, Paul Czege, Vincent Baker and Luke Crane? I wish I could have that kind of un-success in my chosen profession!

trying to understand, in terms of game design, why the RPG hobby got so niche in the 90s, how Storyteller led the hobby, only to return to D&D dominance with d20, in spite of spits of D&D and ST both being execrably-designed systems.
A problem with that being that they were marketing & sociology questions, not game-design questions.
(1) Nothing I've ever read there has given me this impression. I read discussions of game design and game play.

(2) The conclusion of Ron Edwards's essay "A Hard Look at Dungeons and Dragons" (mid-2003):

I don't know whether I'll ever get to further discussion of the history of D&D; in many ways, it's out of my sphere of interest except in strictly marketing and industry terms, and I don't have much personal history either as player or professional to draw upon.​

To be honest, I think you might be projecting. You are the one who is fascinated by the market
dominance of games that you regard as poorly designed.

For instance, 5e is not great for PvP, but with a sufficiently fair & impartial DM, its doable. 5e is not great for telling a collaborative story, but with a wise & open enough DM, it's doable. 5e is not great for creating an immersive 1st-person experience, but an expressive DM with high social intelligence could pull it off.
It's not the GNS segregation of preferences that helpfully characterizes or describes it, it's qualities of the system that empower the DM that're defining.
I don't know if you intend this as analysis. To me, all it's saying is that you think a GM-driven game can kinda-sorta do the stuff the GM wants. I could substitute GURPS, AD&D, Rolemaster, even T&T into your statement and the claims would still be true.

That's not analysis of system at all, just an assertion about how high-concept simulationism or some relativey narrow forms of gamism are possible if we ignore the actual mechanics of the game system.

A skillful GM could deliver a player experience while running the players through a pre-established story that would be industinguishable from one generated organically from play.
This claim is false, and as far as I know has not a shred of evidence to support it.

I see it made quite often, but only by people who have no experience with narrativist-style play.

Tony Vargas

Legend
In narrativist play the notion of setting win conditions is complicated at best. The notion of "scenario", as opposed to "situation", can also be problematic.
Is it that complicated to have a win/lose scenario w/in a larger story arc? Either a win or loss could advance the plot and reveal or develop things about the characters.

I don't think Ron Edwards et al intended to be "deceptive". Who are they trying to deceive?
We could be charitable, and grant that it was just /used/ deceptively out in the wild.

This claim is false, and as far as I know has not a shred of evidence to support it.
I can't ask you to prove a negative, so what would you consider "support?"
I see it made quite often, but only by people who have no experience with narrativist-style play.
You seem to think 4e at least /can/ fall into that category, and you can't doubt I have experience of that.

But, really, aren't the GNS labels /not/ supposed to be exclusionary us-v-them categories?

Hussar

Legend
I'm no big fan of GNS theory, mostly because bringing it up tends to be like invoking Tolkien in RPG discussions - it's the geek version of Godwinning a thread and more time gets spent debating the theory than actually using it.

But, [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION], I do think you are way off base here. GNS theory is not exclusionary at all. It's, as [MENTION=81242]Lost Soul[/MENTION] above pointed out very concisely, simply a descriptive system for talking about the differences between RPG's.

It's what you point to when someone calls 4e boardgamey or videogamey. You can actually point to how 4e leverages so many of the mechanics - page 42 being a prime example, plus the transparency of the mechanics themselves - in service to creating games where moral dilemmas are far more important than, say, the kill and loot cycle of heavily gamist 3e where the point of killing monsters is to gain loot and xp to let you kill bigger monsters.

Note, D&D, at least in Forge terms, is not really a good example of pure forms. You can certainly play 4e as a pure gamist game where you kill your way to the top. Absolutely can. And, frankly, you can nudge it pretty close to simulationist play with a few twists of a couple of dials. D&D is such a huge game that it's more about how a given table uses the mechanics than what the game itself is pushing.

Which differentiates D&D from most other RPG's. Most other RPG's are interested in providing pretty singular experiences. Everyone playing Call of Cthulhu has a pretty good idea of what's coming when they sit down to play. It's not like you're suddenly going to venture off into starting a business and the mechanics of running a company in CoC. Which you certainly could do in any version of D&D.

But, claiming that Forge criticisms are deceptive or even obfuscatory is not really valid. The criticisms are pretty straight forward for anyone with even a passing familiarity.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases