Is Pathfinder 2 Paizo's 4E?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Weren't those committed 3.x fans the basis for even having PF, in the first place, though.
Now that sounds like angling to repeat 4e marketing blunders.

Yeah, exactly. The playtest did not give the impression that the designers were on a journey of discovery with their fans, which is what made the Next playtest a marketing hit.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yeah, exactly. The playtest did not give the impression that the designers were on a journey of discovery with their fans..
Playtest?

Seriously, though, if the point was ditching the small, established, loyal market for the much, much larger potential market of /people who might like your game if it didn't suck quite as hard/, then just coasting on name recognition as your marketing strategy, so that you only reach that established base you just cut loose, just might have been at cross purposes.

But, I exaggerate.

A bit.

put out a new third RPG to sit along PF and SF that they could focus publishing energy on (superheroes, maybe).
Starfinder went well, right?

Superheroes, though? How would they work "...finder" into that? Crimefinders? Justicefinders Society?

Actually, I'd think (and I've never made a right prediction like this yet) that the thing to do, in the face of 5e's even-wilder-than-d20s-wild success, would be to happily go back to making APs and accessories for D&D.

PF subscribers could get versions with PF stats, perhaps?

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Starfinder went well, right?

Superheroes, though? How would they work "...finder" into that? Crimefinders? Justicefinders Society?

Actually, I'd think (and I've never made a right prediction like this yet) that the thing to do, in the face of 5e's even-wilder-than-d20s-wild success, would be to happily go back to making APs and accessories for D&D.

PF subscribers could get versions with PF stats, perhaps?

Honestly, that's where the money would be. The superhero is more of a for example: any other genre would do. Starfinder is a top 5 seller, currently the 4th biggest RPG in the hobby market, after Star Wars and Legend of the Five Rings.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Nope. As a player that has played all versions of D&D since the beginning, PF2 is nothing like 4E. It is far more like 5E. Even that comparison is off. It's more of its own game testing a bunch of new ideas, some of them very interesting, some questionable, and it will take some time to figure out.

So, /only/ 3.x of all the D&D species, built PCs & NPCs/monsters on exactly the same rules by default. It was always an option in all the others, but the presentation of monsters/NPCs in completely different blocks is the norm for D&D, just one of the few ways that 4e was normative D&D.
That's clearly the case with monsters.

However, whilst probably no edition of D&D has used exactly the same rules for PCs and NPCs, the rules were very similar up until 4th edition, which was a massive change in the way NPCs were statted up. 5th edition dialled it back a lot, but the NPCs still look bizarre to me - an NPC might have 15 hit dice, cast as a 9th level wizard and have the proficiency bonus of a 7th level character. In a funny kind of way, 4th edition NPCs made more "sense" to me - "he's a senior cultist of Orcus, his stat block is nothing like yours because his life path has been very different to yours" - rather than 5th edition's "he's a wizard Jim, but not as we know it".

Which means they ought to have swallowed their pride and resentment (no matter how justified) and positioned once more their game as something existing D&D gamers should try.
I don't think Paizo are making their business decisions out of pride and resentment, and I'm surprised you would suggest they are.

Remove ads