Is it possible for one person to create their own table top game, setting and all?

Is it possible?

• Yes (please explain)

Votes: 31 100.0%
  • No (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Creating a game, setting and all, is little more work than creating a game and setting individually. In some ways, it's even easier, since you can use details from the setting to shape the ruleset.

Assuming you're properly motivated, and devote a couple of hours to it every day, you could probably go from conception to production in less than six months.

Mercurius

Legend
Is it possible for one person to create their own table top game, setting and all?

What do you think?

Discuss!

Of course. But you'll probably want to playtest the system extensively, at least if you want a quality finished product. You have more "creative autonomy" with the setting, but the system is best served ironed out with the help of others.

Slit518

Adventurer
Gygax did it. Arenson did it. Barker did it.

Why wouldn't it be possible?

Didn't Gygax and Arenson work together to create D&D?

What did Barker create?

Unless you're referring to settings, in which Gygax created Grey Hawk, and Arenson create Blackmoore. I am not familiar with Barker though.

5ekyu

Hero
Well yes.

But to create a good one you need playtest, outside review etc.

One of the most notable "smile, dont make eye contact, walk away slowly" moments was when a guy pitched his solo developed 40 years in the making perfectly balanced fantasy game which only his wife had been allowed to see a little of.... you know you are looking at trouble when the 30m pitch emphasizes how little the players characters know and says nothing about the PCs roles, actions and options in the world at all- they were barely mentioned.

Advice to any GM or world builder trying to promote his creation...

Do not try and sell people on your world and how great it is.

Sell them on how great it will be playing in your world. Sell the adventures (not "Adventure").

Last edited:

Radaceus

Adventurer
Yes, we did just this after purchasing the Red Box in around 78, and before buying any hardcovers (AD&D), by 79 we'd scrapped most of it and were playing ad hoc. We also created a martial art rpg by 83, which I wish I still had the write up for.

in short, where there's a whip...there's a way...

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Remember that thing they told you in grade school about how there are no stupid questions? They lied.

This is a stupid question.

Source: I have literally done it at least ten times. Around half of them got published. Most are sitting at Silver Bestseller on DriveThru, some were nominated for awards.

Edit: Also, I am in the process of creating at least three TTRPGs, all of them with complicated built-in settings, as we speak.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yes. I’ve done it. More than once. And if I can do it, anyone can.

Well, not anyone, cuz I am pretty awesome (my girlfriend says so so it must be true)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases