D&D General The perfect D&D edition (according to ENWORLD)

Aldarc

Legend
Note I never said anything about reading. Most new players learn the game by being told about it...and I repeat: if someone told me I'm the 'leader' in the party then dammit, I'm going to lead.

And if I'm then told (or later read in the PH) that's not what leader means in this case my first response would be "Then why call me the leader when I'm not?".
You would probably be told more than just the name of the role, if you are even told what the role is called. Why would someone even have a compelling reason to tell you the name of the role if you were just learning by playing? Someone at the table might even say that leaders perform healing and party support functions, and most people would be like, "Oh, cool. So it's a support/healing class? Gotcha." I think it's fairly obvious that WotC wanted a more evocative, less second-fiddle sounding name than "support," "healer," or "walking band-aid."

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You would probably be told more than just the name of the role, if you are even told what the role is called. Why would someone even have a compelling reason to tell you the name of the role if you were just learning by playing? Someone at the table might even say that leaders perform healing and party support functions, and most people would be like, "Oh, cool. So it's a support/healing class? Gotcha." I think it's fairly obvious that WotC wanted a more evocative, less second-fiddle sounding name than "support," "healer," or "walking band-aid."

Analogy to a typical 4-person rock band (and yes I know there are exceptions):

Voice = defender (another dumb name for classes that should focus just as much on attacking)
Guitar = striker
Drums = controller
Bass = ...leader??? Ehh, not so much. Foundation, support, backup, even defender (see below) - call it what you will; but not leader. :)

Better use of the same terms to define a band - and a party:

Voice = leader (most bands are only distinguishable by their singer's voice - a party's heavy tank and the thing you're most likely to see first)
Guitar = striker (the one who gets out there and gives 'er, in tandem with the singer - a party scout or sneak)
Drums = controller (keeps everything in time and on time - the party's traffic-director and organizer)
Bass = defender (provides the foundation or chassis that everything else runs on - same is true in a party)

Yaarel

He Mage
A normal pet that doesn't get in the way interfering inconveniently and which is lucky enough to survive battle scenes or which does not run off too far when horrific monsters make the scene is a blessing but not a game resource.

One that acts like you are the Akela and joins your pack while following your lead about whom to attack and when to run still might get in the way and die easily... even if you have the skill to train and acquire another its a resource with somewhat realistic limits.

A step better than that is lucky enough not to die or occasionally sacrifice itself for you and in general participate while coordinating well with you and allies has become intimately part of the hero's story. They will talk about Paul Bunyan never without Babe.

Different grades I feel require different mechanisms.

It seems to me, a natural animal is much like a social encounter, an animal can be ‘friendly’ or ‘hostile’. The interaction can be ‘easy’, challenging, or ‘difficult’. Sometimes a bond of friendship develops, and the animal defends character against danger.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yeah, I've certainly made that caricature. It was an impression I got from the kind of person who...well, the kind of person who wrote that "On your feet, solider!" fluff. But it's really a derivative concern, not the primary objection.
As I recall, you conceived your animosity towards the class based on a first impression of the attitudes of those arguing for and against it..

Ok, fair enough. Although (correct me if I'm wrong) it's a bit edge case. Like, whether you can heal in an anti-magic zone, or if Counterspell prevents healing.
Sure. Like most differences of any import, it manifests most clearly on the margins.

And if your concern there is that it blows your immersion (although I hate that word) to have your re-fluffed non-magical healing Counterspelled,
Its not.

Oh, and this argument that I can always just refuse to allow the abilities to affect me is a load of crap.
It strikes me as at least as legit an RP option as murdering a PC for being the wrong race - with significantly less severe consequences.
Thanks, but given the choice to either subject myself to your Warlord's authority or be the jerk at the table (whether as a player refusing to play along with the fiction, or as a DM banning an official class from my table), I'll stick with vociferous opposition to the class itself and hope I won't get put in that spot.
To avoid possibly being seen as a jerk to one person, at one table, in the future, you will commit to being an jerk to many people, very biblically? I guess that whole internet shield of anonymity thing really does what they say.

Absolutely. Except...it doesn't really make a difference to me. Whether it's extraordinary talent or granted/earned position, your Warlord still ain't da boss of me.
Boss is a position. Your character would have to be extraordinarily short sighted and insecure to feel that a tactician creating an opening for him or an inspiring leader telling him how great he is, is somehow threatening his independence.

That said, nothing about any such abilities should force you to play otherwise, if you prefer.
"Warlord" is pretty terrible, too, but it's indicative of the problem, it's not the problem itself.
Not that D&D class names cleave closely to their RL meaning, but Warlord does not imply legitimate authority, while alternatives like "Marshall" or "Commander," do.
And Warlord is nicely genre-evocative.
Look, I have no problem conceptually with a support class. I don't really care about martial healing (2nd Wind is fine.) I sorta share some of those concerns about action economy and action granting, but I assume that could be cleared up.

The things I object to are:
1) Your character having authority over mine or granting "orders"
This objection is invalid, the class conveys no such authority.
2) It being dictated that my character looks up to yours as a "natural leader"
This objection is invalid. While a high-CHA character with mechanical support for leadership abilities may be conceived of as a natural (or trained) leader, nothing requires you to look up to those qualities. You could despise them, even, for a variety of reasons.
Just like, if you conceived of your 20STR Champion as a mighty hero, other players could choose to react to him as if he were a spineless weakling.
3) The implication that your character, regardless of level, is better at my job than I am. That I'm just a dumb grunt and I need you to tell me how to swing my sword or whatever.
That's "not even wrong."
If you (or others) can figure out how to describe all the mechanics you want so that none of the above are true
None of the above are true. One of them is nonsense that can't even be evaluated true or false, but none of them are true - at least of the extant class. I can just barely imagine a 5e version being botched badly enough to inflict one or two.

I'm not quite sure how the martial healing would be fluffed to avoid those, but I'm open to it.
Most of the objections to martial healing are centered on the misconception - cleared up in 1979 - that hps are some sort of fungible unit of structural integrity, like damage boxes in BattleTech or something.

Your objection is of a wholly different order, but is answered as long as receiving the effect is voluntary. If you want your character to be all "...k that, y'ain't da bossa me, I'm'a gonna die if I wanna..." I fully support your right to do so.

An earlier poster described the Sam Gamgee-like "Companion", which I know (from a history of going at it with you on this topic) was traditionally one way of portraying a Warlord. I love it. Bring it on. Let the people who fantasize about being Patton refluff the Companion into a Commander, instead of the other way around.
The vast majority of the genre & historical examples are of lead-from-the-sort of inspiration, it is heroic fantasy, after all, and as much as an ensemble cast of nominally co-equal heroes may chafe some egos, it's the obvious default.

But, personally, I /like/ the 'Princess' and sidekick and faithful retainer types of builds - I'm just disinclined to force them, so long as they're doable.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Something has gone very wrong if the DM is considered to be a jerk for banning a class.
I think it was a 3e thang. 5e has happily re-empowered the DM. And, if any official class ever does make it through the UA pipeline to print, it will be something DMs will have to opt /into/, not ban.

Tony Vargas

Legend
. Why would someone even have a compelling reason to tell you the name of the role if you were just learning by playing?
The teamwork aspect of the game is neatly summarized in the roles. You could couch it in terms of class, which is what we always did before: " you're a fighter, you need to get in front and take damage while the important characters actually accomplish things."

I think it's fairly obvious that WotC wanted a more evocative, less second-fiddle sounding name than "support," "healer," or "walking band-aid."
Yeah, up until that point, it had been an uphill battle to keep the vital Cleric slot filled, it was profoundly unpopular in both fraught, religious concept and boring band-aid function ( punctuated by equally vital turning). Even when wildly OP in 3e, it would be used only to be abused, relegating healing to wands.
So Leader as a bit of salesmanship, a nice shade of lipstick on the heal-pig, it must have seemed like they had to try everything.

They needn't have worried: between finally making healing a manageable responsibility in combat, separating the healing burden out to surges, deeper play making the role more engaging - and the more approachable option of a martial rather than just a religious support class, the Role was never that hard to fill.

Though, TBH, a better name for any of the roles doesn't leap to mind...

G

Guest 6801328

It strikes me as at least as legit an RP option as murdering a PC for being the wrong race - with significantly less severe consequences.

That's the funny thing about that range/orc example: you seem to assume that because the Ranger HATES orcs, he must cause intraparty conflict. Sounds to me like more dictation of how somebody must portray their character.

To avoid possibly being seen as a jerk to one person, at one table, in the future, you will commit to being an jerk to many people, very biblically? I guess that whole internet shield of anonymity thing really does what they say.

You outed me. I'm actually Mike Mearls. Yes, I'm going to refuse to publish the Warlord because I don't want to have to be a jerk in my own game.

WTF?

There's this thing that I don't want in D&D. I hope it doesn't appear in D&D. If there's ever a survey, I will say, "No, thanks." And in internet forums, I express my opinion about it.

I say that about a lot of the options they present.

Have you? Have you ever filled out a WotC survey and said, "I don't like that part. Please don't include it." Have you ever posted on the forums and said, "I think that would be bad for the game."

If you are, then you are doing the exact thing you are accusing me of. Depriving other people of the way they want to play the game because of your own selfishness, or something like that. Right?

Boss is a position. Your character would have to be extraordinarily short sighted and insecure to feel that a tactician creating an opening for him or an inspiring leader telling him how great he is, is somehow threatening his independence.

As I've said before, interacting with the monsters to create an opening is fine. It's the part of about "commanding" others to strike...some variant of which which shows up in just about every version of this thing...that's not ok.
This objection is invalid
This objection is invalid.
That's "not even wrong."
None of the above are true. One of them is nonsense that can't even be evaluated true or false, but none of them are true

Lol. Fortunately this just amuses me, because we both know there's not going to be a 5e Warlord.

The vast majority of the genre & historical examples are of lead-from-the-sort of inspiration, it is heroic fantasy, after all, and as much as an ensemble cast of nominally co-equal heroes may chafe some egos, it's the obvious default.

I'm not quite following what you are saying in the second part, largely because the only way that I can parse it seems to contradict the first part. But, yes, there's an archetype in a lot of myth, fiction, and history (or mythologized history) that is pretty much exactly the Warlord. I totally grant you that. And it's also my point. All those stories are most explicitly about a singular Hero. A character who heals with his inspiring personality, commands through natural leadership, and outsmarts the bad guys is called a Hero. So much of what I read about this class sounds like it's the Hero class.

You're going to deny that part, but if so you are being willfully blind to the arguments being made for and about them them.

For example, Aragorn is often held up as an example. And, yes, I would agree that Aragorn is modeled by a Warlord better than by Fighter or Ranger or whatever (which is ironic, no?). But the rest of the Fellowship were not co-equal with him. He was written to be "better" than anybody but the demi-god. And when I play The One Ring, we don't include Aragorn in the party. We're co-equals.

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Guest 6801328

So Leader as a bit of salesmanship, a nice shade of lipstick on the heal-pig, it must have seemed like they had to try everything.

Overheard in the board room: "I know, let's call it Leader! What could possibly go wrong?"

Hahahahahahaha.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I seem to remember a lot of discussion around "is it bad roleplaying if I let god of cleric A heal me when I worship god B" back in the day. "I don't want to be inspired by a smart or charismatic character" feels like the same kind of tryharding.

I think its an act of selfishness and spite masquerading as "good roleplaying"

Remove ads