D&D 5E What would be some good guards/ minions for a dragon's lair?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I really like to use a guard drakes that match the dragon in color (and are of a variant that are a true breeding draconic species), with a smattering of ambush drakes, and sometimes a small number of a variant drake that has the ability to jump incredible distances and charge up an elemental bite, which are armored, and ridden by exceptional kobolds who raise and train these beasts.

These drakes can use their climb speed to climb upside down or along walls, and the rider is strapped in to avoid falling out (also have advantage against being moved off their mount). The mounts tend to be moderately armored, some with shields and lances, while others have light spears.

Kobolds are scary on mounts, because it means they have advantage on all melee attacks.

Then there are the ambush drakes with light armored kobold archers riding. I add Skulker to rider and mount, and give them shortbows, training in stealth and acrobatics, and a pounce attack.

I've also used large drakes with dragonborn riders.

I could easily see dragons keeping giants around. Particularly if the giants were well-cowed. Possibly maimed with reduced speed and/or attack? Beyond that, some ideas: EDIT - Thought you were talking about older white dragons only for some reason. My bad.

* Yeti
* Half-Giants/Goliaths
* Polar bears
* Orcs / Ogres / other savage humanoids; possibly tending a mammoth herd that the dragon occasionally uses for food.

Last edited:

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
How about a very intelligent spellcasting dragon who had previously slaughtered a standard high level adventuring party trying to steal his loots.

He brings them back to life then casts a geas on them that they have to be his guards for as long as they live.

The entrance to the "dragons lair" is actually a nicely appointed set of apartments that the adventurers live in as the dragon know that keeping them happy makes them better guards. He/She is willing to spend some money to keep them as retainers, even if they are also magically compelled because a happy guard is a better guard.

They are kept honest by the very real threat that if they fail "letting the PCs past to actually encounter the dragon" they are dead and going to be replaced with more powerful guards once the dragon kills the newer, more proficient, adventuring party.

This has probably happened quite a few times (changing of the guards) and this would create an interesting living quarters as years and years of keepsakes pile up as guards are killed and replaced.

It also is 100% likely to subvert the players expectations of raiding a dragons lair, but in an interesting way, not a that-movie-you-hate one.

DS

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I know kobolds are the standard minions for young evil dragons, but what about older ones?

Just one. Feel free to wake him up.

315253068.jpg

Or a small gnome clan, whose only purpose is to create and maintain the numerous traps installed on the property. (Love/hate relationship.)

ranger69

Explorer
I would try to match creatures to the dragon that are immune to it's type of breathe weapon. Then the Dragon is free to use that regardless of where it's minions are. Not that the Dragons care about the minions as much as it's tiresome overseeing the training of new guards.

Draegn

Explorer
In my world only one in twenty dragon eggs will produce a true dragon. All the rest in the clutch will produce miniature dragons ranging mostly from the size of ferrets to something that can be ridden. These smaller dragons do not breath fire and have a low intelligence. They sadly for the mother dragon are a food source for the true baby dragon when game is scarce.

With plenty of game around (or dwarfs after capturing a hoard) the mini draggies could be used as guards. I laugh at the cute mage having her ears bitten off by ferret sized dragons that want her pretty earrings. If she lives perhaps next time she'll pay more attention to those "bats".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases