D&D General Definitive Greyhawk Adventure

Shiroiken

Legend
As much as I hate the 2E Greyhawk, the best singular adventure that is ingrained into the setting is Vecna Lives. It starts in Greyhawk, moves west across several notable locations, and ends with a battle between Vecna and Iuz. It's a super-railroad, poorly written adventure that would have been a much better novel, but it's definitively Greyhawk.

There was another adventure in 2E Greyhawk that was a better adventure, but I've forgotten the name. The party infiltrates the Empire of Iuz to rescue a political prisoner from Furyondy. It also has a lot of Greyhawk references that makes it definitively Greyhawk.

If I had to choose a more Gygaxian adventure (other than ToEE, which is THE definitive Greyhawk adventure), I'd go with either the slavers series or the Lendor Isle series. White Plume Mountain holds the style of Gygaxian Greyhawk, but doesn't detail much of the setting.

I would go for Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

It make more mention of nations, dieties and factions of Greyhawk than any of the earlier products I have read.

Does the “Not ToEE” clause exclude Village of Hommlet? If not, then I’d go with that one.

If so, hrm….The Giants series springs to mind. While I’m tempted to say the Slavers series, I’d go with G1-G3.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
There is no definitive Greyhawk adventure. Because Greyhawk fans don't agree on what Greyhawk is. Some will hew to the idea that the only stuff that "counts" is the stuff that was published before Gygax left. Others will insist that everything pre-Wars is the only stuff that counts as Greyhawk. Still others love the post-Wars stuff but will reject the 3rd edition Greyhawk products as not Greyhawk. And others will embrace it all and try to make it all work.

Well, almost no agreement. I think you can find agreement among Greyhawk fans on the antithesis of a definitive Greyhawk adventure, and that is 1988's "Castle Greyhawk".

(For my money if you ask me to contemplate it and I want to give a serious answer I'd probably say the Slaver series - A1-A4 - because that kind of gritty sword-and-sorcery stuff is what I have come to associate with Greyhawk. But if I give my honest from the gut answer that I don't think too much about, it's probably actually the twin adventures "DungeonLand" and "Land Beyond the Magic Mirror" because that kind of whimsical "anything goes in D&D" attitude is what I originally associated with Greyhawk.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases