D&D 5E Powergamer Cleric= Variant Human?

Your AC is probably pretty high anyway, so you shouldn't need to use Shield all that often. Once per long rest might be enough.

Although a DM might rule you need to drop your weapon to use it, since a Holy Symbol can only be used as a focus for divine spells.

You can achieve a similar result without limited use with the Defensive Duellist feat. Tempest clerics are proficient in Rapiers.

If you just want to pick up Booming Blade, may I direct your attention to Variant Half Elf?

Last edited:

Any 8th level cleric with Potent Spellcasting and a wisdom of 20: Get surrounded by 8 enemies then spam Word of Radiance. Average damage = 96 hp per round.

Just an example, but any domain with Potent Spellcasting, including Arcana, is probably better off not wasting time hitting things with a stick. And Arcana has lots of other good options for its two wizard cantrips competing with GFB and BB.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well personally I agree. Clerics are better casting spells than mucking about with weapons. Hence why the 5E cleric isn't that good at being a traditional cleric .

Just if you are going beat down....

It's also resource management, you can get more than 1 combat out of spiritual guardians.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Well personally I agree. Clerics are better casting spells than mucking about with weapons. Hence why the 5E cleric isn't that good at being a traditional cleric .

Just if you are going beat down....

It's also resource management, you can get more than 1 combat out of spiritual guardians.

If you want to lay the smack down the best way to accomplish that is to avoid wisdom and max str
I mean with a spell like spirit guardians the difference between 16 and 20 wisdom is tiny. The damage is solid but isn't super high per round to begin with and you still do half damage on a miss.

Zardnaar

Legend
If you want to lay the smack down the best way to accomplish that is to avoid wisdom and max str
I mean with a spell like spirit guardians the difference between 16 and 20 wisdom is tiny. The damage is solid but isn't super high per round to begin with and you still do half damage on a miss.

It's also plus two on the spell DC for Spirit guardians. Since you can't or won't melee all of the time that 20 wisdom is going to be better than 16.
That's the whole point of doing this. You're buffing melee, range and spell casting and a better save category.

It's basically plus two to hit, damage, spell DC's/attacks, a cantrip and a level 1 spell. And magic damage.

A normal cleric is going to give up either spell DC or melee ability.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
That book .. basically nerfed the cleric and most of the examples presented also sucked.
It didn't supersede the existing Cleric, but replacing it with priesthoods was for the better. You got a much richer divine landscape, the spell selections granted by deities finally made a modicum of sense, and you could have two priests in your campaign without them being the least redundant.

Best of the Complete Books, hands down. The others ranged from trivial chaff to utterly broken, but the CPH got it right.

Just throwing something else out there: Aberrant Dragonmark could be used to pick up BB/GFB. So you could use Magic Adept to pick up Magic-Whacking-Stick. (I guess some DMs might let you take Magic Adept twice anyway).

GFB from an Aberrant Dragonmark would use Con as it's casting stat, which would probably be a little better than Int or Cha.

Zardnaar

Legend
It didn't supersede the existing Cleric, but replacing it with priesthoods was for the better. You got a much richer divine landscape, the spell selections granted by deities finally made a modicum of sense, and you could have two priests in your campaign without them being the least redundant.

Best of the Complete Books, hands down. The others ranged from trivial chaff to utterly broken, but the CPH got it right.

The CPH cleric had most of its spells cu from it. And its not like the AD&D cleric was overwhelming. Complete Fighter/Thief/Wizards were good, the later ones sucked (Elves, Bards, Paladins etc).

Remove ads