D&D 5E Consensus about two-weapon fighting?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't think so.

I do think it would be fair to say with your first attack in each round, you may attack a second time with an off-hand weapon. Just get rid of it requiring a bonus action.

Laurefindel

Legend
Other than it should use at least two weapons, not that I know of. Many solutions are being proposed, many work well for localized groups, none seem to satisfy a majority.

Not a consensus, no. We just have a wide variety of house rules.

Personally, I'm a fan of adding the damage from both weapons together, and treating that as a single attack (which scales with extra attack, no bonus action required).

Xeviat

Hero
Not a consensus, no. We just have a wide variety of house rules.

Personally, I'm a fan of adding the damage from both weapons together, and treating that as a single attack (which scales with extra attack, no bonus action required).

I'm strongly tempted to do what Saelorn suggests, then allow a bonus action for splitting between two targets.

There's no consensus. I've tried to tease one out. It's tough.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I suppose one could grant attack actions worth of extra attacks. They benefit from bonsuses to attack but not bonuses to damage. (no bonus action required here)

Dausuul

Legend
The thing most folks seem to agree on is removing the bonus action. Not being able to use that bonus action really stings as you start gaining abilities and spells.

I'd start there and see if it does the trick. Fighters might need some extra help past level 11, but otherwise I think that could be all you need.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The thing most folks seem to agree on is removing the bonus action. Not being able to use that bonus action really stings as you start gaining abilities and spells.

I'd start there and see if it does the trick. Fighters might need some extra help past level 11, but otherwise I think that could be all you need.

Removing the bonus action breaks to many other things, especially in tier 1. (at least with no other changes)

In tier 1 it makes it so
Rangers are hands down better with TWF than anything
Barbarians are hands down better with TWF than anything
Paladins are hands down better with TWF than anything (extra chacnes to hit/crit for divine smite and no loss to damage)
Fighters already favor TWF in tier 1. The change doesn't impact them
Warlocks are very strong with TWF (much better than any other weapon or eldritch blast)
Monks can TWF and bonus action flurry of blows....

Pretty much, if you have a way to get a bonus action or damage bonus it's the only style objectively good in tier 1 for just about any PC.

In tier 2 it's a lot closer (and more varied amongst the classes) In tier 3 things get wonky again...

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I am in the minority, and am inclined to keep it as a bonus action.

I understand the drawbacks, but look at them more as tradeoffs for versatility. IMO.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases