D&D 5E Expertise Feat

Xeviat

Hero
Hi everyone.

I want to add a feat to let non Bard/rogue characters get double proficiency to a skill. I don't think it needs to be kept to these classes (and the knowledge cleric, and iirc rangers in some situations), because while you can multiclass to get them, they bring baggage that might not fit the character in question.

I'm either going to do it two ways. First is an Expertise feat that let's you pick two proficient skills and add double your proficiency. This is just the rogue ability (in effect, the rogue is getting a preset feat at those levels; that's what they get for level 6, so I feel like it's worth a feat).

Or, I could have it be choose one proficient skill. Add double your proficiency to those checks, and +1 to the paired ability score.

The second option would be better for those who just want to be better at one skill.

Which would you like better?

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
Hi everyone.

I want to add a feat to let non Bard/rogue characters get double proficiency to a skill. I don't think it needs to be kept to these classes (and the knowledge cleric, and iirc rangers in some situations), because while you can multiclass to get them, they bring baggage that might not fit the character in question.

I'm either going to do it two ways. First is an Expertise feat that let's you pick two proficient skills and add double your proficiency. This is just the rogue ability (in effect, the rogue is getting a preset feat at those levels; that's what they get for level 6, so I feel like it's worth a feat).

Or, I could have it be choose one proficient skill. Add double your proficiency to those checks, and +1 to the paired ability score.

The second option would be better for those who just want to be better at one skill.

I would look at XGtE racial feat Prodigy as a go-to pattern.

jmartkdr

First Post
I'd offer both.

Niche protection only applies to niches actually at the table - so long as the character isn't stepping into someone else's wheelhouse (something most players avoid doing anyways) it should be fine.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Hi everyone.

I would make the feat called expert. You get expertise in a single skill and can reroll one failed skill check in that skill once per day.

Xeviat

Hero
Or the skill feats in Unearthed Arcana.

Totally forgot about these. Interestingly, they're +1 stat, expertise, and a bennie. Only some of the benefits feel like things the skills should normally do. (Though I'm laughing at Medic; why would you take that when Healer is a feat?)

Fanaelialae

Legend
IMC, I offer a feat that grants + 1 to the associated stat and grants expertise in one skill or tool (regardless of whether you were already proficient or not). No one's complained about it, though I don't recall whether anyone has actually taken it.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
This is probably not what you want, but I like feats that express some flavor about the character who has them, as opposed to a plain mechanical benefit. Also, I think there are only a few skills where expertise is really useful. So I made up these:

Canny Grappler (replaces Grappler)
Prerequisite: Proficiency in Athletics or Acrobatics
You are a fearsome wrestler. Gain the following benefits:
  • If you are proficient in Athletics, you can apply double your proficiency bonus to Strength (Athletics) checks made to initiate, maintain, or escape a grapple. If you are proficient in Acrobatics, you can apply double your proficiency bonus to Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks made to escape a grapple.
  • When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can make a special melee attack to attempt to damage a creature you are grappling. If you are able to make multiple attacks with the attack action, this replaces one of them. Make a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (target’s choice). If you succeed, the target takes bludgeoning damage equal to 1d4 plus your Strength modifier.

Champion Athlete (replaces Athlete)
Prerequisite: Proficiency with Athletics
You have undergone extensive physical training. Gain the following benefits:
  • Increase your Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20
  • Add double your proficiency bonus when making Strength (Athletics) checks to climb, swim, or jump.
  • When you are prone, standing up requires only 5 feet of movement
  • When you take the Dodge action, you do not provoke attacks of opportunity with your movement on that turn.
  • You have advantage on Constitution saves to avoid gaining levels of exhaustion.

Keen Eye (replaces Observant)
Prerequisite: Proficiency in Perception
You are quick to notice details of your environment. Gain the following benefits:
  • Double your proficiency bonus when you make a Wisdom (Perception) check that relies on sight. Also apply double your proficiency bonus to your passive Perception score.
  • When you take the Search action on your turn in combat, you gain a bonus action that can be used to take the Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide, or Use an Object actions.

Silver-Tongued
Prerequisite: Proficiency in Deception and Persuasion
Double your proficiency bonus when you make an ability check to which your proficiencies in Deception or Persuasion apply, as long as you and the target of your check share a language and your interaction is primarily verbal.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Your feat sounds fine offering expertise in two proficient skills. I would steer away from the +1 ASI option, though. I only say this in our group we've completely disassociated skills from ability scores. Since we do that, it doesn't make sense to boost an ability score because there isn't one linked to the skill.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases