D&D 5E What spells should have had the ritual tag, but don't?

Yaarel

He Mage
[MENTION=6775477]Shiroiken[/MENTION] mentioned Magnificent Mansion as a ritual. This spell is less useful for combat, but is awesome for social situations. This seems like a great example of a higher level spell that is suitable for a ritual.

Last edited:

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Anything with an eight hour duration might as well be a ritual. As a DM who enjoys throwing a spanner in the works of 'system' players, the key engagement will happen at 8 hours and 12 minutes. Oops!

The problem here is that the target is any willing creature instead of just self. If I was just self, then I could see it being a ritual. But with the duration of 8 hours, you could buff the entire party just before going into a heist or something of that nature.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yup, you could. I'm picturing everyone stripping out of armor to be more stealthy. Honestly, that's a cool use of mage armor, and the cost of 4-5 1st level spell slots isn't particularly low either. Can I envision a party that just mages armor's every day rather than wear armor if it were a ritual? Yeah, I guess, but the effectiveness there would depend on the length of the ritual. 10 minutes isn't much a barrier, but something closer to 45 or an hour is, and that would be the way (or one way at least) to balance additional ritual spells

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Yup, you could. I'm picturing everyone stripping out of armor to be more stealthy. Honestly, that's a cool use of mage armor, and the cost of 4-5 1st level spell slots isn't particularly low either. Can I envision a party that just mages armor's every day rather than wear armor if it were a ritual? Yeah, I guess, but the effectiveness there would depend on the length of the ritual. 10 minutes isn't much a barrier, but something closer to 45 or an hour is, and that would be the way (or one way at least) to balance additional ritual spells

Except there isn't any cost if it is a ritual except the time.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Heh, perhaps this sentence describes oneself as well.

Anyway, you come across as if there is a misunderstanding. As far as I can tell, there is none.

You want Mage Armor to be a ritual − you argue that to make it always-on is nonbroken.

I agree always-on Mage Armor is nonbroken. (I even feel a low-level Wizard needs such a boost.)

At the same time, all official rituals are less useful for combat applications. I like keeping rituals this way for noncombat.

In a thread about expanding the list of spells that can be used as a ritual, I want the new spells to likewise stay away from combat, and focus on making exploration and social situations more interesting.

I haven't picked any nits.

And you’ve misunderstood quite resoundingly. This most recent exchange hasn’t been about whether mage Armor is broken, so I don’t know why you’re going back to that. What we have been debating is whether mage Armor can be considered effectively “always on”.

Mistwell and I have been stating that it isn’t because a player doesn’t know when a combat might happen, and you have been countering that argument by saying that constant combat would be wierd. But that is a non sequitor. We aren’t talking about how often combat occur, but when they occur, and the fact that their occurrence is unpredictable.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Except there isn't any cost if it is a ritual except the time.
That's my point. If you up the time it becomes an actual cost. If it took 2 or 3 hours to mage armor the whole party it would lose some luster, wouldn't it? That applies generally to ritual spam, and it's a easy way to prevent a bunch of abuse if you decide to make more spells into rituals. i'm comparing that to the non-ritual spell slot cost.

Yaarel

He Mage
I haven't picked any nits.

And you’ve misunderstood quite resoundingly. This most recent exchange hasn’t been about whether mage Armor is broken, so I don’t know why you’re going back to that. What we have been debating is whether mage Armor can be considered effectively “always on”.

Mistwell and I have been stating that it isn’t because a player doesn’t know when a combat might happen, and you have been countering that argument by saying that constant combat would be wierd. But that is a non sequitor. We aren’t talking about how often combat occur, but when they occur, and the fact that their occurrence is unpredictable.

I guess you do misunderstand.

You are saying: Mage Armor isnt always on, because whether or not you need to cast it once or twice in a day is unpredictable.

I am saying: The unpredictability itself is negligible if it *SELDOM* happens. If on most days, one only needs to cast it once, then NORMALLY it is equivalent to always-on.

Also, when you argue it is less than always on, you havent commented on how turning Mage Armor into a ritual makes it an even more powerful spell by making it always on.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I guess you do misunderstand.

You are saying: Mage Armor isnt always on, because whether or not you need to cast it once or twice in a day is unpredictable.

I am saying: The unpredictability itself is negligible if it *SELDOM* happens. If on most days, one only needs to cast it once, then NORMALLY it is equivalent to always-on.

Also, when you argue it is less than always on, you havent commented on how turning Mage Armor into a ritual makes it an even more powerful spell by making it always on.

Do you have ten minutes to cast a ritual when you are being ambushed in the night? Do you have ten minutes to cast a ritual while pursuing an enemy or searching for clues to why something is happening or who the true enemy is? What about when fleeing from a too powerful foe, or negotiating a peaceful resolution to a tense situation?

We are saying that the only way for something to be always on, is by being always on (or lasting 24 hours). Some days, I’d have plenty of time to ritual cast a second times, other days there’d be no way in hell I’d waste that time, or my companions would allow it/wait for me, or circumstance would let me even complete the ritual uninterrupted.

Remove ads