D&D 5E What spells should have had the ritual tag, but don't?

gyor

Legend
What spells should have had the ritual tag, but don't? Magifiscent Mansion Demiplane Hollow Planar Ally Planar Binding Geas Astral Projection Find Steed Greater Find Steed Temple of the Gods Mighty Keep

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Conceptually? Most of the divination and rest related stuff, plus most of the finding stuff and long range talking type stuff. That said, high level casters are already pretty high power, do they really need to be even more powerful? I'm not sure they do.

*edit* of course the ritual caster feat does help balance things out when you make more stuff rituals. Maybe.

Shiroiken

Legend
The one that jumps out at me is Knock. Given it's downside (which is a pretty big downside), making it also cost a spell slot is unnecessary. I'd be okay with removing the downside when cast with a spell slot, because that's a daily resource (as opposed to a skill check that requires proficiency).

Magic Circle seems like it should also be a ritual. The purpose is to set up a summoning spell, so taking up an additional slot seems unnecessary.

Magnificent Mansion is also pretty hefty for a 7th level spell slot, considering there are lower level options that are rituals that provide almost as good an option.

Given the casting time and use for travel (albeit planar travel), Astral Projection seems like it might also be better as a ritual. That way the caster still has access to their precious 9th level slot while providing the key to reach an adventure.

Anything that summons should definitely NOT be a ritual. This includes the find steed spells and planar ally, because otherwise the party could have an infinite supply of disposable allies. I don't like that find familiar is a ritual for this very reason.

Dausuul

Legend
My picks:

• Arcane lock
  • Continual flame
  • Knock
  • Catnap
  • Tongues
  • Leomund's secret chest
  • Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion
  • Sequester
  • Demiplane (only to access a previously created plane)
  • Imprisonment

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Find Steed

Find Greater Steed

Mage Armor

Rope Trick

Magnificent Mansion

All the high level “create a structure” spells

Probably some divination spells

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
What would happen if we made 60% of the spell list ritual. Which I think we could. Access to ritual spell casting is a feat away for any character. What does that do to the balance of the game?​Part of me really wants to try this out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases