D&D General What Method(s) did you use to roll ability score when you first started D&D?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think if I was ever to go back to rolling stats, I would do 4d6 drop lowest, 7 times, arrange the 6 best how you like. But really, point buy has always been my preference. Or array, for those who don’t care for futzing with the points.

Bigsta

Explorer
An automatic 18 in your core stat, and then 1d8+10 for your other stats, arange to taste.

Unless it was Dark Sun, then 1d10+10.

IIRC, absolute first was a pre-gen character. 4d6 drop lowest, arrange as wanted, was the norm after that. Since then point buy for experienced players or DM generated for noobs have been the standard options.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
When you first started D&D what was the ability score generation methods you used as DM and/or player?

I started playing in the 80s. That was before the advancement of different methods to generate ability scores. We did 3d6 in order. Then 3d6, arrange. Then graduated onto 4d6 drop the lowest, arrange.

In AD&D 2ed a long-time DM had an alternate metghod, which was roll three sets of 4d6 drop the lowest in order. Then pick which set. So you didn't have "perfect" stats, but you usually had stats to play what you wanted that were interesting. For example I had a bard with an 18 CON - back then CON max bonus was at a 16 unless you were a Fighter type, so it wouldn't be something you'd do intentionally. But I ended up being able to drink people under the table and it became part of my character - more organic.

I really like the randomness of rolling, but with 5e's Faustian choice of ASI or feat I find that I enjoy point buy more as both player and DM.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases