D&D General What Method(s) did you use to roll ability score when you first started D&D?

Yardiff

Adventurer
When you first started D&D what was the ability score generation methods you used as DM and/or player?

When I was in my mid teens, myself and my best friend were invited to join a college group that had lost several of its players do to RL stuff. The DM had us use method IV out of the 1e DMG (roll stats for 12 characters using 3d6 in order) but if none of the sets had 2 15's you rolled again. Then he also had some extra ways he liked to use to help the starting characters to gain a bit more in ability increases and other special stuff. He used several of the charts from Arduin Grimiore such as class special abilities and body type, as well as used to age ability mods from the 1e DMG. This did help get a fighter to the high % in str more often as well as caster int/wis to high teens, higher dex etc. I guess Nathan liked his players to 'cool' characters.

So what methods did you use? And as DM did you help your players get 'cool' characters?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I started with 4d6 drop lowest, arrange as you like. Of course, one guy somehow always seemed to roll multiple 16s-18s, and everyone else complained until the DM let us re-roll. Rinse and repeat until we got a set of stats comparable to the “lucky” guy.

Xeviat

Hero
3E. We rolled 4d6 drop the lowest, arrange how you like. One player got really good stats. Another got just barely passable stats and had a more MAD class. We played for a while that way, but then I ended up buffing the character with the lower stats. Next game we used pointbuy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases