Players choose what their PCs do . . .

Tony Vargas

Legend
1) The Dogs excerpt I brought up earlier is just not doable in other formats. Actually playing through emotional warfare of reading a letter (the acuity-ablating, heart-tugging antagonism of a separated lovestruck couple) and finding out it’s actual impacts on the person in the field (who has a dangerous and difficult job that requires total commitment and attention-span), and how those impacts turn into a feedback loop that the character becomes beholden to...well, that is not something that any old resolution mechanics, PC build and reward cycle scheme, and GMing ethos can legitimately pull off.
Seems right up FATE's alley, and something that could be touched upon in systems that model the character's psychology in some way (Hero, would be the one I'm most familiar with: psych lims), that can be tested (EGO roll) and change over time (changed around, or exp to 'buy down/off'). Certainly not with the same detail and play dynamics, of course...

2) Look at the extreme disparity of how people perceived Fighter’s melee control mechanics in 4e (the catch-22 of Marking and Forced Movement specifically). I’ve been a martial artist and an athlete (ball sports, wrestling, jiujitsu) my whole life. No game tech I’ve ever seen captures the OODA Loop that a physical combatant/competition participant inhabits as they navigate their resident decision trees (be it the catch-22 game of body control/feints/transition progression in jiujitsu or playing halfcourt defense in basketball, both on-ball and off-ball, as you protect your hoop and your teammates). Yet look at the backlash by certain segments of the D&D community, relentlessly deriding this suite of abilities as boardgaming nonsense!
I didn't follow that, probably because I lack the frame of reference... How did 4e Combat Challenge/Superiority map to all that ..er.. sports stuff? ;)

Tony Vargas

Legend
Do you think it’s possible to systematize the experience of reading letters from a loved one and the fallout you incur while you’re in the field (a tour of duty of some kind...something dangerous and emotionally/physically demanding)?
I should hope so, that's potentially some powerful drama there. (I'm picturing WWI, for some reason, not being too into the DitV setting.) Does the character conceive a death wish and get killed? Find a renewed reason to live and survive - or die tragically, or even heroically, in spite of that? Become a stronger person or descend into an emotional spiral - if the latter, how can he pull out of it?

I mean, it makes you "want to play to find out what happens!"

And if you’ve never played in systems that try...why are you sure?
Thought experiment? I mean, it's not terribly hard to imagine that as a /scene/ (in book/play/movie/show/whatever), and from there, "how would you capture that scene in an RPG?"

Last edited:

I didn't follow that, probably because I lack the frame of reference... How did 4e Combat Challenge/Superiority map to all that ..er.. sports stuff? ;)

If you've never been a grappler, it will be a little bit difficult to attempt to convey things conceptually, but Chess (which I suspect you've played or at least had exposure to) should suffice.

Look at grappling (Brazillian Jiu-jitsu in particular) as a series of decision-trees where your opponent is imposing ever-progressing catch-22s upon you as they control you (takedown > deployment of a progressive series of pulls/hooks/passes/sweeps/transitions to improve position and prevent opponent from doing what they want > gain superior position > tap opponent with whichever submission they choose; again, catch-22) until checkmate (submission or an impossible to recover from position where all you can do is stall) is arrived at.

Basketball may be a little easier.

If you're an on-ball defender in Man defense, you're making personal positioning choices (proximity to offensive player, overplaying which hand, funneling where on the dribble, etc) to control the guy you're covering in order to (a) winnow (or at least impact) his decision-tree to one or two disadvantageous options and (b) limit the exposure of your teammates to having to double team him (thus compromising their own defensive assignment integrity) and (c) maximizing their prospect of making an off-ball deflection/steal/block, all in the effort of (d) generating a "stop" (a Turnover or a missed Field Goal Attempt that results in a Defensive Rebound).

I hope it should be abundantly clear how those map to "you can't do thing (a) or (b) without me punishing you and putting you closer to your loss condition."

Tony Vargas

Legend
If you've never been a grappler, it will be a little bit difficult to attempt to convey things conceptually, but Chess (which I suspect you've played or at least had exposure to) should suffice.
Ha! Blatant Nerd Stereotype!

…and true.

I hope it should be abundantly clear how those map to "you can't do thing (a) or (b) without me punishing you and putting you closer to your loss condition."
Thank you, yes.

pemerton

Legend
The players control the fiction by what they have their characters (try to) do.
But on your own account this isn't true. Because the GM can always narrate something else. As you're presenting it, all the players get to do is make suggestions that the GM may or may not follow up on.

I suppose another way a GM might have handled a success roll would be to have the PCs find some financial papers in the desk that weren't incriminating at all.
How is that possiby a success, given the declared action? It's obviously a failure - the PC has not got what s/he wanted (namely, incriminating financial documents).

pemerton said:
Why would the GM know any better than the players what is good for the fiction?
Why wouldn't she? And sometimes she'll be right, and sometimes she won't; and the same can be said for the players.

<snip>

Isn't a GM allowed to have an occasional cool idea and throw it in? Or supply a twist?

<snip>

what about unintended and-or unexpected results? Are these not allowed?
So when do the players get to override the GM because they might know better than him/her as to what is good for the fiction? When do the players get to throw in their cool ideas and twists and unexpecgted results?

If the answer is never, then I come back to my question - why does the GM get special status here?

Whereas I have an obvious answer to the questions I've posed - when the check succeeds the player decides, when the check fails the GM decides. It's so simple it's elegant! And it doesn't exclude any possibilities - the players are free to declare the full range of possible actions, the GM is free to narrate the full range of possible failures.

What it does exclude is the GM getting to decide whatever s/he wants. Which brings us back to the question - why shouldn't the GM be constrainted? All the other participants are.

A simple counter-example to establish this point. Suppose a player says, "I search the room for 1000 gold". He rolls a 1. Do you really consider a possible fail state in this example to be "you find a ruby worth 1000gp"? If you think that's a valid failure narration then you stand alone.

So then with it established that there are multiple success states, why would a DM pick the one that a player didn't specifically request. A few possibilities:
1. His chosen success may move the story further along at some later point in time.
2. His chosen success may not interfere with already established fiction wheras the players precise request could.
3. It saves time. If the player asks to find 1000 gold and you say you don't and then he follows up with what do I find and you make him roll and tell him it was a 1000gp worth ruby anyways, then there was no fictional need for that additional exchange.

There's countless other reasons to still fulfill the players intent but slightly alter their specified outcome.
Some other posters have already explained how finding a ruby can be a failure. Here's another way: the PC is searching for gold pieces because only gold pieces can lift the curse of the whatever-it-is (I'm imagining some variant of the gem-crushing gargoyle in ToH). Finding a ruby is a, in that circumstance, a failure - although maybe if the PC can make it to a gem market and cash in the ruby s/he can get some or even all of the gold s/he needs.

As to your possibilities:

(1) I don't really see how this can be known in advance unless the GM has already plotted the story out. Which maybe s/he has, but then that brings us back to the question of what the role of the players is in relation to the fiction.

(2) This has been dealt with ad nauseum by [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] and by me. If the action declaration would violate the established ficiotn then that should alreayd have been sorted out. Furthremore, this is not particularly a GM function. I mean, the GM's narration of the ruby could negate some prioer fiction to if the GM is careless (eg maybe the PCs already scanned the area with a gem detection spell and it registed no gems). So all-in-all this particular possibility is a red herring.

(3) I don't understand this at all. If the GM tells the player the PC fails to find 1000 gp then why is the player then making a check? What is the check for? And if this check whose purpose I don't understand is successful, what is the reason for telling the player that the PC finds a 1000 gp instead of the 1000 gp s/he was looking for.

Can a single fantasy author write a story about a character that is legitimately challenged?
Not in the way that I and (I believe) [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] are talking about. An author can write about a character's struggle with identity and responsibility (think eg about JRRT's account of Aragorn's self-doubt after the Fellowship leaves Lorien). But that is not playing a game. The author wasn't challenged except in the sense that authoring can be a difficult thing.

In a RPG we are talking about the player inhabiting the role of the PC and playing through the challenge.

If that's your definition of roleplaying then I don't think it applies to D&D. Players in D&D simply state attempted actions - they don't suggest things that might be true. They simply state attempted actions. They don't negotiate with the other participants to determine their truth. They have predetermined that the DM will be sole arbitrator of what's true in the game.
Stating an attempted action is suggesting something to be true in the fiction - namely, that the PC performs the actin as described! That's the whole starting point for the OP of this thread.

Your claim that the GM always decides in D&D is obviously very controversial But even at those tables where it is true, it doesn't follow that the GM never considers what it is that the players have suggested.

Acting is not roleplaying.
Someone upthread used method acting as either an example of, or an analogy to, roleplaying, so I'm not sure what you assert here is uncontroversial.

But if acting is not roleplaying, then where does the roleplaying consist of in a game in which the GM decides all the outcomes? What are the players doing in such a game other than some improv acting?

I am perfectly capable of figuring out who my character is and how he thinks and feels etc.

<snip>

Is it possible that you just find it easier to roleplay in games you like?
To echo [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], the point is not that people like what they like. The point is that some systems make possible certain experiences that others don't.

I'll give an example from a slightly different field of hobby: I don't believe that it is possible to get the same thrill from swimming laps in a pool as it is to get from catching a wave at a beach. That's not a criticism of lap-swimming or a praise of beaches - taking that extra step would require deciding whether or not we like the thrill (some do, but not everybody does).

Now maybe there's someone out there who finds lap swimming really thrilling.I guess that's conceivable. But I would want pretty good evidence before I contemplated this possibility in a serious way. Because it is very much at odds with my own experiences and obvservations of both lap swimmers and body surfers.

In RPGing, not every system can produce the same experience. In Rolemaster, when the first crit die is rolled, there is a sense of thrill and antiipation that cannot be achieved in an AD&D combat when the first damage die is rolled vs anything much bigger than a gnoll. Becuase in RM everyone knows that if that crit die comes up high, the combat is over; wheres in AD&D that combat can't be finished by the first damage roll.

And turning from combat to other domains of struggle, a typical AD&D game can't produce the sort of experience in relation to charavter that is being discussed here, because the typical AD&D game has neither the formal rules nor the informal practices necessary to bring the right sort of pressure to bear on the player in the play of his/her PC. For instance, there is no way to put family relationships in jeopardy beyond either GM stipulation or consensus roleplaying - unless (as I think I mentioned upthread) one uses the honour and family rules from Oriental Adventures. While there is plenty of fail this check and your PC willl be hurt bad physically there's almost no way, in typical AD&D sans OA, to generate fail this check and your PC will be hurt emotionally - for instance, because his/her family rejects him/her. Unless the GM just stipulates that outcome, which isn't very dramatic in the context of playing a game.

I'm looking at an individual level and saying those mechanics hinder my roleplaying
Do you accept that there is a difference between assertions grounded on experience and assertions grounded in mere conjecture?

Sadras

Legend
If the answer is never, then I come back to my question - why does the GM get special status here?

The obvious answer is that it depends on the type/style of game. In many versions of D&D the DM is granted a special status. In some indie games the dice determine who narrates or how the narrative flows. Both options are good.

Whereas I have an obvious answer to the questions I've posed - when the check succeeds the player decides, when the check fails the GM decides. It's so simple it's elegant!

It is elegant but it doesn't suit all stories or styles of play.
Both yourself and [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] seem to be arguing for a particular style of play - being your specific preferences. Same debate, different thread.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sorry to riff off of just a couple sentences but...
And turning from combat to other domains of struggle, a typical AD&D game can't produce the sort of experience in relation to charavter that is being discussed here, because the typical AD&D game has neither the formal rules nor the informal practices necessary to bring the right sort of pressure to bear on the player in the play of his/her PC.
Seems like "informal practices" could be pretty varied and readily mutable (or set in stone, and violently defended, I suppose).

For instance, there is no way to put family relationships in jeopardy beyond either GM stipulation or consensus roleplaying
If I'm following, that's an example of 'informal practice,' and - I'm really hoping - neither 'informal practice' nor 'GM stipulation' nor 'consensus roleplaying' have any extra-special precise/unintuitive/reverse-ogive*/confuse-inveigle-obfuscate meanings? I'm actually free to go with my understanding as an indifferent native speaker of English?

Proceeding on that unwarranted assumption...

It strikes me that some of the sources of confusion & disagreement we get in these discussion stem from crediting systems with qualities derived from the above sorts of informal practices, GM stipulations, and consensus roleplaying. Or, falling back on freestyle RP, when the system isn't applicable or gives undesirable results, might be another way to put it.

So, back in the 90s, some histrionic wolfie might go on about how D&D is strictly ROLLplaying, and it's impossible to ROLEplay in it, and it's generally the worst game ever. And some bristling, defensive 30-something (because this was 20+ years ago, remember), D&Der would present a transcript of a lavishly-roleplayed scenario that happened in his campaign 10 years previously (or that he just made up or embellished), as proof that oh, yeah, you can totally RP the effn'eck outta D&D. Leaving aside the dysfunctional distinction in that era's divisive false dichotomy of choice, the D&Der was appealing to the informal practice of freestyle RPing (talking in character, mostly) by consensus, the vast universe of potential actions & events not covered by then-D&D's heavily magic-centric and combat-focused system (not that now-D&D is all that different).

Or am I totally off base?
I am aren't I?

It's OK, you won't hurt my feelings.

But...
To echo [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], the point is not that people like what they like. The point is that some systems make possible certain experiences that others don't.
...I do think the above speaks to responses you may get to this bit.

That is, systems don't make possible things that are /impossible/ in other systems, they cover things that, in other systems, are handled by falling back to Freestyle RP - GM stipulation, table consensus, whatever you want to call it - in certain obvious cases, handled that way by hoary time-honored convention.

Do you accept that there is a difference between assertions grounded on experience and assertions grounded in mere conjecture?
If you mean assertions by a forum avatar, no, no meaningful difference.

* yeah, I know, that's the point(pi).

Last edited:

If you mean assertions by a forum avatar, no, no meaningful difference.

Which is why I regularly encourage people to play more and different types of games.

And I also regularly recommend people (at least in my life) be willing to have the self-awareness and humility to say “I don’t know.” I don’t understand this modern phenomena of being unwilling to simply recognize that you don’t know what you don’t know. There are lots of things I don’t know...even in the disciplines/leisure pursuits where I’m learned (you mentioned HERO in our exchange above...don’t know the first thing about it...won't even guess it’s play experience is like...you said it’s fit to reproduce the experience I relayed...I respect your opinion on this so...sure that works for me...if I feel incredulous, I’ll wait until I’ve informed myself before offering any conjecture).

So if you don’t know...that’s fine...and it’s also fine to not take someone’s word for something...but make an effort to know what you don’t know. You’ll often find that your intuitions and extrapolations (from malformed heuristics) weren’t exactly on the mark.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
But on your own account this isn't true. Because the GM can always narrate something else. As you're presenting it, all the players get to do is make suggestions that the GM may or may not follow up on.
Ditto the GM, who in presenting the entire setting is merely making suggestions the players may or may not follow up on (in the example, the players/PCs might decide the Southtor seal isn't enough, or if the GM throws in the bit about the love letters, might decide to follow up on that instead...or ignore it; it's their choice).

How is that possiby a success, given the declared action? It's obviously a failure - the PC has not got what s/he wanted (namely, incriminating financial documents).
You're concatenating two goals into one here - a specific one (find some financial papers) and a larger overarching one (incriminate the Duke). Even though both are mentioned in one action, there's nothing stopping you from splitting them out and reacting only to one or the other.

Otherwise, to give a near-ridiculous example, success on an in-combat (vs. a single dying Orc) action declaration of "I swing my axe and kill every Orc in the world!" has just removed Orcs from the setting entirely, given that success on the action declaration has just forced this Orc to be the last one left (or that all the other Orcs elsewhere drop dead along with this one; whichever). If only Genocide: Monster could be so easy. :)

So when do the players get to override the GM because they might know better than him/her as to what is good for the fiction? When do the players get to throw in their cool ideas and twists and unexpecgted results?
They get to throw in their cool ideas every time they put forth an action declaration, should they so desire; and even in a hard-GM-driven game the GM might on the fly decide to go with it; and even if the notes right now unalterably say 'no' there's nothing stopping that GM from filing that cool idea away for future use.

It's called putting the GM into 'react' mode.

Whereas I have an obvious answer to the questions I've posed - when the check succeeds the player decides, when the check fails the GM decides. It's so simple it's elegant! And it doesn't exclude any possibilities - the players are free to declare the full range of possible actions, the GM is free to narrate the full range of possible failures.
Which means a player rolling a hot die can - and IME almost invariably would - have her PC bypass any and all obstacles the setting wants to throw in its way, and sail through the story/adventure/mission/whatever without any delays or frustrations or, dare I say, effort...with the one exception being any combats that are unavoidable.

The setting, and by extension the GM, exist in part to oppose and-or challenge the PCs and by extension the players; meaning that whether you like it or not there's always going to be that element of adversarialness (yeah, new word there) in their relationship. If the players are given free rein to narrate their successes then most if not all players IME would take that as license to run roughshod over the principles of the game.

Some other posters have already explained how finding a ruby can be a failure. Here's another way: the PC is searching for gold pieces because only gold pieces can lift the curse of the whatever-it-is (I'm imagining some variant of the gem-crushing gargoyle in ToH). Finding a ruby is a, in that circumstance, a failure - although maybe if the PC can make it to a gem market and cash in the ruby s/he can get some or even all of the gold s/he needs.
What's not stated in that declaration example is, again, context: why is the PC searching for 1000 g.p.? The reason this is relevant is that the context largely defines what a success represents, and what alternate options might exist:

- Is it just for the sheer wealth acquisition (in which case the ruby is a grand success - way easier to carry and hide than 1000 coin and worth just as much)
- Is it specifically for the gold (e.g. I need 1000 coin-weight of gold to melt down as the heart of my stone golem, in which case finding an equal-weight golden statue would do but a ruby would not)
- Is it to prove someone's on the take (e.g. finding a bag containing exactly 1000 g.p. in that location could be very incriminating but a bag of exactly 200 p.p. would serve the same ends while a ruby would likely not be of much use)
- Etc.

Stating an attempted action is suggesting something to be true in the fiction - namely, that the PC performs the actin as described! That's the whole starting point for the OP of this thread.
And, thus, perhaps why the thread is - yet again - hundreds of posts long: the premise it sits on is faulty.

Stating an attempted action does not suggest "something to be true in the fiction - namely, that the PC performs the actin as described!", instead it suggests only that what's true in the fiction is that the PC attempts to perform the action as described. Mechanics or GM fiat (which includes just saying 'yes') or whatever then go on to sort out what results if any then become true in the fiction.

Your claim that the GM always decides in D&D is obviously very controversial But even at those tables where it is true, it doesn't follow that the GM never considers what it is that the players have suggested.
IME this is almost always the case - even the hardest of railroad GMs still take in ideas and themes from their players, sometimes without really knowing they're doing so.

PI don't think it's quite as cut-and-dried as that. Better perhaps to say that some systems better facilitate or lead toward certain experiences than others, as with a big enough shoehorn and-or the right people involved pretty much anything is possible.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
My posts on this subject over the years (and in this thread) involve pretty intensive analysis on why resolution procedure/GMing technique/reward cycle/play ethos/PC build setup (a) objectively provides a different experience than(b) in many different areas (from table handling time to distribution of authority to intraparty balance to party: obstacle balance to cognitive workload and on and on).

That fact can also point toward personal investment on the issue that could be clouding your judgement.

I think you’re rather short-shrifting all of that with a single heuristic.

Or point out a more important heuristic that you just so happened to overlook in your zeal dedication to attribute the differences to the system for all this time.

How about this?

Do you think it’s possible to systematize the experience of reading letters from a loved one and the fallout you incur while you’re in the field (a tour of duty of some kind...something dangerous and emotionally/physically demanding)?

If not...why?

You can systematize nearly anything - but it's always going to be at a cost.

I think the more important question is, do you think it's possible to roleplay that same character in a system without such systemization mechanics?

If not, why not?

And if you’ve never played in systems that try...why are you sure?

What am I sure of what?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases