D&D 5E D&D Essentials . . . New Sidekick Rules

JPL

Adventurer
I don't even have the box yet, but I'm really hung up on checking out these new sidekick rules.

For younger players --- like my kids --- I have a notion to stat up an expert, with character concept of a know-it-all sage, who can explain monsters and magic and other unfamiliar concepts, but when it comes to combat, he will almost always use Dodge for his action and Help for his bonus action . . . he's always buffing the PC, and doesn't get his too often, and steals none of the glory.

If I were up for a Dungeonmaster's Guild project, I think it would be to team up with a good artist to make a whole book of quirky sidekicks, ready to fill out a party as needed.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think the essentials kit already contains a large number of quirky sidekicks ready to fill out a party as needed. Not that more would be a bad thing by any means.

I think it's only nine in total. A book of side kicks with portraits for each one would be a fabulous idea in my opinion. Younger gamers like to see who they are hiring and adventuring with.

MurlyndX

Explorer
...make a whole book of quirky sidekicks, ready to fill out a party as needed.

I'm actually online this morning looking for this very kind of thing and thinking I could probably just make my own.

I haven't analysed the UA or Essentials versions of characters yet, but have it running through my mind it shouldn't be to hard to develop some specialized ones. I like your Sage sidekick idea. That would definitely help in a campaign with a heavy lore component as well.

JPL

Adventurer
Always did like the notion of a sage who occasionally adventures, and I like the "guy who memorized the Monster Manual" schtick by Fishlegs from "How to Train Your Dragon."

The obvious choices for Expert are probably Knowledge Guy, Scout Guy, and Talking Guy. I feel like there's a good build for Generalist Henchman, but I don't quite have it figured out yet.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think it's only nine in total. A book of side kicks with portraits for each one would be a fabulous idea in my opinion. Younger gamers like to see who they are hiring and adventuring with.

I actually did this years ago, but it was a book of NPC personalities. Time to brush it off and update it I guess ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases