D&D General Solasta: Crown of the Magister D&D Video Game Coming To Kickstarter

This Summer, Tactical Adventures will be launching the Kickstarter for Solasta: Crown of the Magister, a video game based on the D&D rules. "Roll for initiative, take attacks of opportunity, manage player location and the verticality of the battle field in this upcoming Tactical RPG by Tactical Adventures. In Solasta, you make the choices, dice decide your destiny."

Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 01.11.16.png

French indie studio Tactical Adventures has announced Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

The game is planned for a Windows PC release (via Steam), and has a Kickstarter campaign set for sometime later this Summer.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister is a tactical, dungeon crawling RPG based on the 5th Edition ruleset where players control a band of four adventurers.

The game places a heavy emphasis on verticality and manipulating light to combat the creatures that lurk in the darkest corners of the tombs and caves you’ll be exploring. You can watch an animated teaser trailer above, and check out a dev diary below.

Roll for initiative, take attacks of opportunity, manage player location and the verticality of the battle field in this upcoming Tactical RPG by Tactical Adventures. In Solasta, you make the choices, dice decide your destiny.

Key Features:

• Verticality: Solasta is a three-dimensional world rather than a series of flat maps. Locations can be explored by climbing walls, flying, teleporting, crawling through tunnels, finding secret passages, or falling through unstable ground, and allow the player to use the environment to take on encounters in multiple different ways.
  • Team Based Adventure: Players will have many options to choose races, classes, backgrounds, and can even roll for stats as they create their party. All members are essential – together you will adventure through Solasta as a group, where you must work together in pursuit of your quest.
  • Tactical CRPG: Each encounter can be handled in multiple ways. Will you use the high ground to strike your enemies from above as a Darkweaver Rogue, or shove your enemies into deep chasms as a Mountaineer Fighter? Your choices alone will determine the destiny of your party.
  • Light: Light will not only help to see your surroundings as you explore deep underground or in a dungeon. It can also be used as a weapon against dragons and creatures you encounter along your journey. Careful, though – light can also give away your position.
  • Created by Tabletop Players: Tactical Adventures is a team of highly experienced Tabletop players and veteran game developers who are passionate about the genre, striving to create the best Tactical RPG videogame.
  • Kickstarter: Tactical Adventures is giving players the opportunity to be heard by joining the community and backing Solasta on Kickstarter. The campaign will feature an amazing tiered reward system and the team is already working on a demo of the game.
More info to be found here!

Last edited:

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
The OGL doesn't distinguish between product types. You can read it for yourself. :)

http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/ogl.html

Yes Morrus I'm aware we can all read it online or in the back of thousands of products many of us own. If it's applicable though, why has no one done it in the last almost-20 years do you think? We've been through multiple versions of the game and multiple D&D and D&D type videogames, but no one has published one using a ruleset covered by the OGL but not licensed directly from the parent company. I'm thinking someone sees a barrier there even if it's not directly stated. I suppose this could be the first, but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Solasta: Crown of the Magister D&D Video Game Coming To Kickstarter

Yes Morrus I'm aware we can all read it online or in the back of thousands of products many of us own. If it's applicable though, why has no one done it in the last almost-20 years do you think? We've been through multiple versions of the game and multiple D&D and D&D type videogames, but no one has published one using a ruleset covered by the OGL but not licensed directly from the parent company. I'm thinking someone sees a barrier there even if it's not directly stated. I suppose this could be the first, but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

They haven’t done it because making video games is expensive and hard, and most companies able to do it have their own IP.

Most who avail themselves of the OGL are a fraction of the size of a video game company, and only just manage to raise enough money on Kickstarter to make a book.

There are certainly OGL applications, especially mobile ones. So some folks make electronic products and have been for a couple of decades, but a video game is orders of magnitude harder.

When it comes to a video game, the value is in the D&D branding not the underlying ruleset. There’s no legal impediment (though some practical ones).

However, these guys are giving it a go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Myzzrym

Explorer
We're not the only ones doing it either, Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen are also doing D&D OGL (though they're on 3.5e not 5e). On a personal note I think the recent renaissance of cRPGs (Divinity, PoE, Torment...) helped in that regard, it showed that there are indeed a lot of fans who are still out there.

Myzzrym

Explorer
By the way, for those of you who're going to Gen Con and who are interested in seeing more, we'll be there (Hall B) with a playable Demo. You can find us on the Gen Con Event tracker (Tactical Adventures or Solasta). I'd love to get some of you D&D veterans' opinion on our systems (and we'll be giving away dice bags & sets for those of you who forgot to bring yours. Bribe, check).

Cergorach

The Laughing One
If it's applicable though, why has no one done it in the last almost-20 years do you think?
Just because you and others can't google, doesn't mean it's not done:
(I haven't played any of those games, so the correctness of most of them I can't judge correctly, but Incursion: Halls of the Goblin King does have a YT video that does looks like it's using the D&D/OGL game engine: ).

As a side note, what Morrus said is true, making computer games takes a lot of time and thus money, making a cRPG that uses the OGL rules is extra work that doesn't always make sense, just for putting an OGL label on the product. Now a D&D label on the other hand, is a way bigger deal and games have done that in the last 'almost-20 years', some of which have failed miserably...

I also remember some games before 2000 and the OGL that used D&D rules, but weren't D&D games... Just don't ask me the names of those games, I hope people with better memories then I remember.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases