What are you Reading? Jumentous July 2019 edition

July is here, and reading is a perfectly fine summer activity.

I am still working my way through Stacy Schiff’s Cleopatra: A Life. Digging it so far.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I enjoyed Marion Harmon's Wearing the Cape superhero series. I'm not into vampires, so I skipped the side-book Bite Me: The Big Easy. But I was looking for something ebook so I grabbed it on Kindle lending library.

So far it has a lot of the "oh, supernaturals in New Orleans" and less of the deconstructing the tropes that the main series has. But I'm still early.

Richards

Legend
I got a lot of reading done this week. First of all, I finished Stone of Tymora merely out of sheer, rugged determination; it had a marginally interesting plot but the main character was very much a Mary Sue (he's 12-14 years old over the course of the book yet holds his own in fights with practiced swordsmen and it's amazing how no matter where he goes there are people there - usually who he's never met before - willing to bend over backwards to aid him on his stupid quest). I also got tired of the constant name-dropping of him running into characters the author's father (it was written by R. A. Salvatore and his son Geno) had already established in previous novels. All in all, I'm glad it's over with. The ending hints at a sequel, fleshing out one of the other characters, but I'm not in the least bit interested.

As a palate cleanser, I read (devoured, really, over the course of a 24-hour period) a book written by an actual adult: Acts of Nature by Jonathon King, a 277-page paperback dealing with a PI and his policewoman girlfriend relaxing for a week "off the grid" at his cabin deep in the Florida Everglades. But then a hurricane veers off course and tears their place up and they have to deal with finding a way back to civilization while dealing with a life-threatening injury, a trio of airboat looters stealing whatever they can from the damaged buildings in the area after the hurricane's passed, and hit men out protecting an illegal operation in the area. It was a fast-paced read and thoroughly enjoyable. Apparently he's written previous books (or at least one) with the same two characters; I may try to hunt it/them down.

I'm now starting The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid, a thriller dealing with a man who profiles serial killers who, quite naturally, finds himself being hunted by the guy he's trying to find, all while trying to stop him from continuing his killing spree. I'm only a few chapters in but it's already very good.

Johnathan

Janx

Hero
I just finished Sword of Summer.

Spoiler: I think Chase's VH friends seemed too easily won. One breakfast and they're willing to break rules and die for him.

Finished A Wrinkle in Time today. Enjoyed it, definitely, though I imagine it would’ve had more impact had I read it when I was younger. Written in the 60s, during the Cold War, parts of it would have come across differently, too.

I also finished Moorcock’s Dragon in the Sword, the conclusion of the Erekose trilogy. Good stuff, though I’d still rank the Elric and Hawkmoon series above it.

Next up is The Summer Dragon, by D&D artist Todd Lockwood. Got it as a prize for donating to Worldbuilders, so I’m pretty excited to give it a try.

Janx

Hero
I am now reading Angel Descending, a cyperpunkish kind of story about a person with amnesia and a Cyberspace outage and wirewitches.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'm currently rereading Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim series, which I often do when there's one book in a series that's new and it's been a while since I've read the series. Great urban fantasy.

Other than that my reading has actually been a steady diet of non-D&D RPGs. I'm in design mode, so I'm on the hunt for nifty mechanics to liberate and adapt. Call it a summer project. So far in the last couple of weeks I've been back through Fate, 13th Age, Urban Shadows, Trail of Cthulhu, octaNe, Numenera, Kids on Bikes, Unknown Armies, Mage and some scattered Pathfinder. I think my wife is planning an intervention.;)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Reading Luna: New Moon by Ian MacDonald. I'm having trouble getting into this sci-fi. Too many names and characters, not enough plot.

Richards

Legend
Despite my 12-year-old nephew's ability to read 500+ page books on his own, he still likes it when I read to him at bedtime. So we just finished Edgar Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars - the first in the John Carter of Mars / "Barsoom" series - and have moved on to The Gods of Mars. We read one chapter a night.

Johnathan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases